Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Firstly, you should ensure your own safety, don't hit yourself and inflict self harm. Secondly, it's okay to mad at your own mistakes but you have to understand that 1. it is only and game and 2. Sometimes you can't do as well as you want. I know that it is frustrating when you are the reason you lost, but it is better to objectively look at what you did wrong and try to fix those mistakes. This will in turn make you a better player and help fix the mistakes that you make to lose the game.
Kodi Lucky Patcher nox

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
LoL

Fed didn't converse well enough with 40-15 break points me think, he mumbled at most.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Most people tend to 'blame' the player not converting BPs when it matters, but totally forget there is another player on court who wants to win that same point.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
If anything, you should compare BP converted to return points won. In general, values for BPs converted are somewhat higher than values for return points won, because you only get BPs when your opponent has difficulties holding serve in the first place. For example for the big 3 (according to Ultimate Tennis Statistics).

Nadal: Return points won 42.4%, BP won 44.9%, difference 2.5%
Djokovic: Return points won 42.1%, BP won 44.5%, difference 2.4%
Federer: Return points won 39.6%, BP won 41.2%, difference 1.6%
(although a high difference here can also mean that a player sometimes doesn't put up a fight in his return games when trailing. I don't think this is the case for any of the big 3, but look at the stats for Nick Kyrgios: return points won 32.8%, BP won 39.0%, difference 6.2%)

similarly, BPs saved should be compared to service points won, here, BPs saved are usually lower than service points won.
Nadal: service points won 67.5%, BP saved 66.4%, difference -1.1%
Djokovic: service points won 67.3%, BP saved 65.4%, difference -1.9%
Federer: service points won 69.7%, BP saved 67.3%, difference -2.4%

Both stats confirm the general view that Federer has been somewhat less clutch at BPs compared to Djokovic and especially Nadal.

·
Registered
16,880 Posts

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Most people tend to 'blame' the player not converting BPs when it matters, but totally forget there is another player on court who wants to win that same point.
It's all about how the break points are saved / missed but when you are 2/15 on break points it's likely there is some choking involved.

·
Registered
16,411 Posts
It's all about how the break points are saved / missed but when you are 2/15 on break points it's likely there is some choking involved.
Probably.

But look at this:

Rafa was an insane 2/26 on BP's, and he honestly "choked" like two.

That match completely took down his BP stats for the entire season (LOL).

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Probably.

But look at this:

Rafa was an insane 2/26 on BP's, and he honestly "choked" like two.

That match completely took down his BP stats for the entire season (LOL).
Funny I was thinking about this match among some others, someone uploaded it on Youtube lately but I didn't watch. A rarity, the odds of something like this happening must be 1000/1 :D

·
Your visions will happen
48,633 Posts
Depends how it all goes down. If the server throws down some bombs and servebots his way out of BP, then the returner cannot really do much. But if the returner misses some easy shots, then maybe

·
|
15,007 Posts
Sometimes its more about the server's mental toughness.
I mean when you are returning and you have break point, the point is still on the racquet of the server and they can serve an ace or unreturnable every time.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Both stats confirm the general view that Federer has been somewhat less clutch at BPs compared to Djokovic and especially Nadal.
But how many of Nadal's stats relate to clay? You can't compare percentages without referring to surface. Helluva lot easier to convert BPs on clay.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
But how many of Nadal's stats relate to clay? You can't compare percentages without referring to surface. Helluva lot easier to convert BPs on clay.
Surface differences are one of the reasons why I looked at the difference between return points won and break points won, not at the crude number of BPs won. And well, in these stats, Nadal is especially more successful in saving BPs, although it is (to say it in your words) a helluva lot easier to save BPs on hard courts.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
It is annoying when player is playing freely in rallies to get to 40-30/15 and then goes ultra conservative on break point, content to just pat the ball back into play and stay on baseline hoping the opponent will make a UE. If player has got to BP hitting 3 winners they should just continue going for it I think. Also have to factor in they might have at least one second serve to play with.

What can't be helped of course is when an Isner or Krygios play a poor service game, go 15-40 down and then hit two aces down the T effortlessly. Then just getting the ball back is an achievement.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Surface differences are one of the reasons why I looked at the difference between return points won and break points won, not at the crude number of BPs won. And well, in these stats, Nadal is especially more successful in saving BPs, although it is (to say it in your words) a helluva lot easier to save BPs on hard courts.
The point still stands; Nadal's number of clay matches played as a percentage of career total is a lot higher than the other two. Looking at the difference between return points won and BPs won doesn't change the fact that its statistically easier to win return points on clay.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
The point still stands; Nadal's number of clay matches played as a percentage of career total is a lot higher than the other two. Looking at the difference between return points won and BPs won doesn't change the fact that its statistically easier to win return points on clay.
Well, yes, it is generally easier to win return points on clay (although Federer's BPs conversion are: clay 40.4%, hard 41.4%, grass 41.1%)
And:
  • I still don't understand why it should be comparably easier to win BPs than return points on clay.
  • Nadal also saved relatively more BPs than Federer and Djokovic. According to you, that should have been even more difficult for him.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts