Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive just got a question about backing and laying:

this is an option to finish in the top 8 in the race at the end of the year, with lleyton hewitt does it mean that if backed on him making the top 8 i would get 4 units back for 1 unit and if i layed on him to not make the top 8 would i get back 48 units for every 1 unit i bet? it doesnt seem right and i just need someone to explain it to me.

Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: Blue Heart24

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
ive just got a question about backing and laying:

this is an option to finish in the top 8 in the race at the end of the year, with lleyton hewitt does it mean that if backed on him making the top 8 i would get 4 units back for 1 unit and if i layed on him to not make the top 8 would i get back 48 units for every 1 unit i bet? it doesnt seem right and i just need someone to explain it to me.

Thanks in advance :)
i would get 4 units back for 1 unit - Yes
if i layed on him to not make the top 8 would i get back 48 units for every 1 unit i bet? - No
you would get 1 Unit for every 8 Units that you lay.

:wavey:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Betfair is essenitally a Bet-matching service.
In the "bet" column - these are odds that people are willing to offer you for that player.
In the "lay" column - these are odds that people want and are looking for people to match them.

So in this case, someone is "laying" hewitt at $4 - and you can match that for a 4x return on your stake if Hewitt makes it, and lose your stake if hewitt does not make it.
Also, someone wants to back Hewitt at the odds of $48 - you would match their $48 bet, and would pay out $48 to them per unit you match if Hewitt makes it, and you would get back $1 per $48 you stake if Hewitt does not make it.

Note that you don't have to match these odds offered - you could always offer your own odds either way and see if someone else matches them!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts