11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012/2013 was around the time that each of

Nishikori
Raonic
Dimitrov
Goffin
Janowicz
And maybe a few others I'm forgetting hit the scene.

They were around the age of current Nextgen and had some pretty fantastic wins here and there. And seemed to be heir apparent for the tennis world , probably because most never predicted the longevity of the big 3....

The ship hasn't neccesarily sailed for the late 80s / early 90s guys., but I'm sure in the 7/8 years maybe we had different expectations for where they would be sitting today.

Let us know what you thought of this generation of players.

Nishikori - I honestly thought he would end up with at least 2 slams somewhere and mores masters

Raonic. I for sure thought Raonic would win a Wimbledon title and some more hard court masters.

Dimitrov- I was one of the people who thought he was Baby Fed and would carry the tennis torch, winning 5 grand slams

Goffin- didn't really have an opinion that I can remember

Janowicz - same thing as Goffin.

What about you MTF, did you predict greatness for Generation Useless or did you for see them just being fodder to Federer, Nadal , Djokovic?

Janowicz -

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
I did not really think of them as real slam contenders, maybe Nishikori would win a lone USO if he'll get lucky, that's all.
Never believed for a moment that Dimitrov would be Baby Fed and Raonic seemed too one-dimensional in his early years.
Goffin could have been a better Fed imitator than Dimitrov, but his weak serve and weak mentality always hindered him from even becoming a serious slam contender.

Maybe 4-5 Masters among them, but so far only Dimitrov won 1, even that was an overstatement.

The rest of this generation is even unworthy to speak about.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Dimitrov was the hot player after the clay Masters 2013, properly challenged Nadal and beat Djokovic. These results and resemblance to Fred beat most of the doubts; he was the big deal. People already hated his guts and laughed at the Wimbledon loss to Zemlja. Number one and more than one slam prediction was nothing uncommon. I am so glad such predictions haven't come through.

Janowitz astonished everyone with his Paris F and Wimbledon SF and uncanny servebot-dropshot combo. Was surprisingly good in baseline rallies too, see the Nadal match in Canada in 2013. The big question was whether it will click mentally for him. More of a peak once or twice a year than a consistent player.

Botnic looked great when playing Fred, usually gave him trouble. Definitely more promising in 2012 than 2013, where he just didn't improve that much more and Nadal wrecked him in his first big final in Montreal. Masters title definitely, his slam chances were focused on Wimbledon, where he didn't perform up until 2014.

Kei didn't really shine up until 2014, Goffin was always a top 10 level guy.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
They all had the ability to win a masters and Dimitrov and Nishikori has the ability to win slams but Dimitrov’s mental game is straight ass and Nishikori bends over anytime he plays a big 3 so their mental games are what held them back. The others were too limited and Janowicz of course was injured the whole time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I thought Janowicz would be the next Safin

I thought Dimitrov would win 3 slams

I thought Raonic would win Wimbledon

·
Registered
987 Posts
I expected at the time for raonic, nishikori and dimitrov, and later on some others like thiem(in 2014) to become the top players by 2015, and for a few years to fight for dominance against the declining top guys, but they never really improved enough and the top guys kept playing well, and did not decline by much(at least, not enough).

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
I knew none of them would be nearly as great as Murray .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts