Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Truc said:
I'm watching parts of the match with the livestream and I have a question, jazz_girl: I noticed David keeps passing the balls on his shirt before serving, does he always do this? Is it to make the balls wet and slower? Or is it just an habit, a tic?
I don't think he primarly does that to slow down the balls. It was said that the upper layer this year makes the court very "sticky", rough, pitty and is using up and fraying the balls' felt a lot. By rubbing them on his shirt maybe sometimes he tries to wet some badly frayed balls in order for the felt to abate and lay down again; rolling the felt. That's my view on this "habit" and the benefit you can get out of it.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
MY NERVES!!!!! I'm still hyperventilating from that tie break!!!!!

Pleasepleaseplease I need a nice and easy match tomorrow!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Thanks for your answers. You may also be right, Nelly, because the surface doesn't look that fast.
It would be nice if the journalists could ask him that question, but they rarely ask what we want to know.

Well done David, I only saw parts of the match and I missed the 3rd set, but from what I've seen, I think he played pretty well for a first match after a break. :yeah:

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Nalbo played well yesterday. On the MP's Nalbo didin't choke; Grosjean just came up with the goods.
That's definitely the best I've seen him serve in a looooooooong while.
Keep it going Nalbo. :yeah:

·
Miss Thang
36,083 Posts
gooner88 said:
Nalbo played well yesterday. On the MP's Nalbo didin't choke; Grosjean just came up with the goods.
Even so, David should have kicked it up a notch-just to avoid having to play a third set to finish it off.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
sigmagirl91 said:
Even so, David should have kicked it up a notch-just to avoid having to play a third set to finish it off.
Agreed. But I was glad that Nalbo kept his concentration and temper in check after losing that second set. After losing the second set I was waiting for Nalbo to fly into a rage and smash his racket.
Nalbo has always had this habit of making matches longer than they really need to be and overcomplicate things.

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
I liked the way he played yesterday, and I believe he still has faith in making it to Shanghai, so I believe we will be seeing some good matches from now till the end of the year ;)

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
jazz_girl said:
I liked the way he played yesterday, and I believe he still has faith in making it to Shanghai, so I believe we will be seeing some good matches from now till the end of the year ;)

I agree with that, I think he wants to be in Shanghai - and will 'fight' for a place there :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Of course, one thing really working in his favour is that with good showings in Vienna and Basel, he gains many more points than most of those he would be leap-frogging - for example (if I've done this all correctly!) - Ancic has to make it to semis this week to gain any points, and that would be only four, while Nalbandian will have a gain all but one of the points he earns this week, and same for Basel.

I was also pleased with the way he stayed in the match - I was worried when it went into the third after a tie-breaker and all the match-points lost there, but he stayed with it.

·
Miss Thang
36,083 Posts
anna10 said:
Of course, one thing really working in his favour is that with good showings in Vienna and Basel, he gains many more points than most of those he would be leap-frogging - for example (if I've done this all correctly!) - Ancic has to make it to semis this week to gain any points, and that would be only four, while Nalbandian will have a gain all but one of the points he earns this week, and same for Basel.

I was also pleased with the way he stayed in the match - I was worried when it went into the third after a tie-breaker and all the match-points lost there, but he stayed with it.
Oh, yeah....I forget about that "best of five" thing. Didn't Ancic and Ljubicic use up all their optionals?

·
Miss Thang
36,083 Posts
gooner88 said:
Agreed. But I was glad that Nalbo kept his concentration and temper in check after losing that second set. After losing the second set I was waiting for Nalbo to fly into a rage and smash his racket.
Nalbo has always had this habit of making matches longer than they really need to be and overcomplicate things.
Glad to hear that. I just wish he'd make things easier..starting with that serve..and maybe improve on his volleys. He plays too "bread and butter" on some points, when he should go for more.

·
Registered
334 Posts
sigmagirl91 said:
Oh, yeah....I forget about that "best of five" thing. Didn't Ancic and Ljubicic use up all their optionals?
They can still gain points, but will have to go deep in the tournaments to do so and even then they won't get the "full-value."

Actually, I think all of the players chasing what is probably the final spot (I think everyone through Coria is probably safe, and Safin is already confirmed qualified) are in a similar situation as Ancic and Ljubocic, some will be able to gain more points than those two in replacing a poorer counting result, but no one in that group (other than Gasquet, who I think still has only four optional tournaments counting) has two one-point tournaments counting like Nalbandian does.

·
Miss Thang
36,083 Posts
anna10 said:
They can still gain points, but will have to go deep in the tournaments to do so and even then they won't get the "full-value."

Actually, I think all of the players chasing what is probably the final spot (I think everyone through Coria is probably safe, and Safin is already confirmed qualified) are in a similar situation as Ancic and Ljubocic, some will be able to gain more points than those two in replacing a poorer counting result, but no one in that group (other than Gasquet, who I think still has only four optional tournaments counting) has two one-point tournaments counting like Nalbandian does.
With that being the case, if David finished this tournament in the semis or better, he'd distance himself further from Ancic and Ljubicic, and pass Gasquet. And if he gets on a similar hot streak in Madrid and Basel, then he can lock up a spot (assuming, of course, he plays Paris, which he hasn't played since '02).

·
Registered
334 Posts
sigmagirl91 said:
With that being the case, if David finished this tournament in the semis or better, he'd distance himself further from Ancic and Ljubicic, and pass Gasquet. And if he gets on a similar hot streak in Madrid and Basel, then he can lock up a spot (assuming, of course, he plays Paris, which he hasn't played since '02).
Weren't the withdrawals injury-related, though, or at least injury combined with being too far out to have a realistic chance of qualifying? I'm hoping he'll stay healthy and be going strong by Paris.

·
Miss Thang
36,083 Posts
anna10 said:
Weren't the withdrawals injury-related, though, or at least injury combined with being too far out to have a realistic chance of qualifying? I'm hoping he'll stay healthy and be going strong by Paris.
It was both. I don't know if you remember, but David injured his big toe, stubbing it on a post or something in Madrid. In the case of what happened here, I would have preferred he slammed the racquet instead.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
sigmagirl91 said:
It was both. I don't know if you remember, but David injured his big toe, stubbing it on a post or something in Madrid. In the case of what happened here, I would have preferred he slammed the racquet instead.
Oh yeah! :lol: :eek:
I guess the only positive, if there is one of Nalbo not getting the results in non-GS tourneys earlier in the year is that he can gain mega points now.
Making Shanghai is still a long shot in my opinion. To make it he probably has to win 2 tourneys, with one of them being a TMS. Considering he's only won 3 tourneys in his career that's a hell of a tough ask, but I'd love to see Nalbo play the Masters Cup again.
I would like Nalbo to earn good rankings points now to give him a good seeding for the Aussie Open in January.

61 - 80 of 134 Posts