Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the day at the Centercourt watching all today's action. Four R2 matches today and some pretty good ones too.

We started off with Carreno-Busta d. Lorenzi 62 62
Clearly the worst match of the day. Lorenzi wasn't playing well at all. Looked sluggish and annoyed and always a step too late to most balls. Busta gave a solid impression but it seemed he didn't get to show his full potential because Paolo was not there for the dance. The Italian seemed to fade mentally in the second set, saved a few MPs though to show some character but there was nothing he could do. Clearly the better player won. Lorenzi's ranking seems to be boosted by challenger and that Final in South America. Ramos, Hanescu and Albot who are lower ranked played better tennis today.

Then it was time for Verdasco d. Ramos 61 75
That first set was closer than it looked. Ramos played some really good tennis, his problem today: Verdasco was better. These two big swinging lefties played perhaps the most interesting match of the day. Ramos was up 41 in the second before Verdasco broke back and then broke again to serve for the match. A third set could have been interesting but one got the feeling Verdasco had things fairly well covered. He defended really well and could get lots of balls back which seemed to frustrate Ramos who, despite hitting it hard struggled to finish points. Award for greasiest haircut goes to Verdasco, second place is not needed.

Ferrer d. Hanescu 64 60
Scoreline should have been closer. Hanescu wasn't bad. His first set was actually very good then he kind of faded. Ferrer doesn't look impressive and flashy the way for example Verdasco does but he's so good at covering the court. The guy always has time, and not just time to get to the ball, but to get to it and do something useful with it. We know he's solid from the back court and he's so smart with his shot placement. That, and the fact that he always seem to have plenty of time makes him a very very effective tennis player. I don't think that really shows on TV.

Berlocq d. Albot 57 64 62
The great Warlocq surprised me with his appearance. I always thought of him as kind of short and compact but he's quite tall and slim actually, serves much better than I though too, and grunts like... well he grunts. Albot played very very well in the first set and clearly deserved to win it despite failing to serving it out the first time. Second set was close but once Berlocq broke for a 31 lead the result seemed nid. Albot fought very hard and Berlocq wasn't completely convincing out there but in the end the better player won.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
thanks so much/tusen tack!! :)
what about albot? you wrote only about berlocq =(

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Albot played much better than his ranking suggests. Couldn't quite keep it up in the third set. He's quite short and moves quickly. No apparent strengths or weaknesses in his game. His height slightly compromises his serve but he could rally well with an experienced clay courter like Berlocq. In the first set he smacked some very nice winners past Berlocq who was frustrated. More mistakes in the second and especially third set. Maybe stamina, maybe concentration. Berlocq wasn't super consistent all match but he was the better match player today. Bigger difference there than in actual tennis ability from what I could see. Berlocq's serve gave him some much needed free points which Albot could rarely manage.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Scoreline should have been closer. Hanescu wasn't bad. His first set was actually very good then he kind of faded.
story of his life :lol: how many times has Victor played a great first set (won or lost) against a better opponent, and then promptly lost in straights? haha.

thanks so much/tusen tack!! :)
what about albot? you wrote only about berlocq =(
our reporter was blinded by His might, obviously. :p
I cannot blame him though. Thanks for the report, are you going to watch any more matches?

·
Registered
472 Posts
berlocq has been awful all week

always looks out of position, his shots seem wonky and kind of fluked, barely moving on court

1 - 12 of 12 Posts