Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
53,732 Posts
So clay has been 5-6 shots for 30 years

Hard has been 4-5 shots for 40 years

Grass has been the biggest change, it was 2-3 shots a rally from 1970-2000, now it is consistently 4-5 shots/rally the last 20 or so years

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JG: would you say, with your gruelling style of play, you benefited from the slow down of the HCs that took place in the last 10 years or so? I reckon you would have had a harder time breaking through on very fast HCs given your slow serve and the dificulties of returning fast serves with a OHBH.

·
Your visions will happen
53,732 Posts
JG: would you say, with your gruelling style of play, you benefited from the slow down of the HCs that took place in the last 10 years or so? I reckon you would have had a harder time breaking through on very fast HCs given your slow serve and the dificulties of returning fast serves with a OHBH.
Well I prefer the clay most of all because of how much better it is for the body as well as you actually have to think and play chess out there on clay.

Hardcourt may have "slowed down" but that is only a reaction to how strong guys are now and how big they serve and hit now and how light the balls are, if the surface did not slow down, HC would be like the old grass, impossible to play a rally.

If I grew up on faster courts, I'd adjust my game, mainly by improving my own serve. Growing up on clay and slow hard, and being 175cm tall, a fast serve is not what is needed mostly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts