Brain not found

Men and Women do not use the same tennis balls

·
Registered
21,275 Posts

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Kvitova and Williams were both hitting like there's no tomorrow.

Djokovic and Simon were just practicing, simple pushing.

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
That's what I said when these two pushers were playing: the Li-Na match on court1 had more power

·
Registered
2,934 Posts

·
Registered
6,407 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The difference between women's and men's tennis is not how hard they hit the ball (the men hit harder, but not by much), but in their movement. Male tennis players move much faster, and generally have better footwork and defense. Therefore men's tennis is more strategic.

Simple logic. Doesn't make women's tennis inherently bad; some of them are incredible ballstrikers, like Sharapova and Azarenka.

The one bit that confuses me is that how can Sharapova (and other tall female players), at 1.88m have such a weak serve compared to male players when their groundstrokes are of a similar pace. Obviously muscle plays into it, but it seems to be more than that.

Sharapova's serve stats for her last match:
Fastest serve: 103mph
Avg 1st serve: 99mph
Avg 2nd serve: 89 mph

Djokovic is also 1.88m, and his serve stats from the last match are:
Fastest: 123mph
Avg 1st: 112
Avg 2nd: 93

And he's hardly a servebot.
Fed is 1.85 and his stats are:
Fastest: 127
Avg 1st: 114
Avg 2nd: 97

Note that Masha hits her 2nd serve flat and hard (and thus double faults a lot), while Feds and Djoks kick their 2nds, and so the difference between their 2nd serve avgs is less.

Why the big differential? I confus.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
The difference between women's and men's tennis is not how hard they hit the ball (the men hit harder, but not by much), but in their movement. Male tennis players move much faster, and generally have better footwork and defense. Therefore men's tennis is more strategic.

Simple logic. Doesn't make women's tennis inherently bad; some of them are incredible ballstrikers, like Sharapova and Azarenka.

The one bit that confuses me is that how can Sharapova (and other tall female players), at 1.88m have such a weak serve compared to male players. Obviously muscle plays into it, but it seems to be more than that.

Sharapova's serve stats for her last match:

Fastest serve: 103mph

Avg 1st serve: 99mph

Avg 2nd serve: 89 mph

Djokovic is also 1.88m, and his serve stats from the last match are:

Fastest: 123mph

Avg 1st: 112

Avg 2nd: 93

And he's hardly a servebot.

Fed is 1.86 and his stats are:

Fastest: 127

Avg 1st: 114

Avg 2nd: 97

Why the big differential? I confus.

Sharapova has had to tons of shoulder problems in her career, but she can hit the serve much harder than 103 mphs.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts