Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thiem delivers a double bagel, a very solid match, much improved. He was extremely solid from the baseline and looked comfortable throughout, Pichler clearly didn't have the power but Thiem still had to get the job done.

It will be a learning curve for Pichler who is currently 479 in the world, I think the situation got the better of him at times.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Somehow missed it and only catched the post-match interview. Also told that he felt much better today with the rather dry and less windy conditions, hope I can rewatch it or find some highlights on YT.

·
justice for all
13,380 Posts
You know what. It pisses me off so much. If not for this fucking pandemic next Sunday Dominic would be lifting his first slam trophy. Instead he is bageling some random mug while entering the absolute peak of his career. It’s him who’s the real loser of this mess not the Big3 grandpas.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
You know what. It pisses me off so much. If not for this fucking pandemic next Sunday Dominic would be lifting his first slam trophy. Instead he is bageling some random mug while entering the absolute peak of his career. It’s him who’s the real loser of this mess not the Big3 grandpas.
Got to agree with that, i hope the next slam to be played is the FO, as should have been the case. Let's face it it's going to be strange and i hope there is at least a couple of weeks of smaller tournaments before going to slam level.

Still, Thiem should have a lot of chances winning a slam, at least 3 per year, if he remains healthy.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Got to agree with that, i hope the next slam to be played is the FO, as should have been the case. Let's face it it's going to be strange and i hope there is at least a couple of weeks of smaller tournaments before going to slam level.

Still, Thiem should have a lot of chances winning a slam, at least 3 per year, if he remains healthy.
3 per year is a bit of a stretch. When Nadal is gone, the FO should be in the bag most years and he can get a hard court but that’s prob about it. Also, he’ll never win Wimby due to his huge windup strokes.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
3 per year is a bit of a stretch. When Nadal is gone, the FO should be in the bag most years and he can get a hard court but that’s prob about it. Also, he’ll never win Wimby due to his huge windup strokes.
I agree Wimbledon is a write-off but if they don't speed up AO too much i can see him a contender there too. USO, if it remains spinny and slowish he should do well too.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts

Stefanos Tsitsipas called, he wants his slams back.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
So true, but a vast majority of fans and media can only see tennis through the eyes of the big names. We should have been watching players like Thiem, Zverev, Kyrgios, Tsitsipas and other younger guys winning slams for years now. Fine, maybe a couple more for Federer, Nadal and/or Djokovic. These three have won more than they should have imo. Of course they won everything fair and square and I can't applaud them enough for it, but it seems like dozens of fans and media think it's normal old players are still able to dominate a sport like tennis. It's not. I think court homogenisation is one of the main reasons this is possible next to a more scientific approach of modern sports, but still the young guns, especially those who are in their mid-20s like Thiem, should have claimed their era by now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Damn Thiem, 6-0 6-0 is just mean, especially against your compatriot.

Didn't Murray gift someone a game a few months ago to avoid the double bagel?

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Damn Thiem, 6-0 6-0 is just mean, especially against your compatriot.

Didn't Murray gift someone a game a few months ago to avoid the double bagel?
Federer gifted Murray a game in London 2014 to avoid the double bagel. He was up 6:0 5:0 15:30 then missed a makeable volley for 2 MP

·
Registered
14,271 Posts
So he barely escapes Rafa on HC by a hair needing all the tiebreakers in the world, and here you arrogantly assume he would have wln RG? Lol.

Lets see then. RG will happen.

Reactions: NextGenKing
1 - 12 of 12 Posts