Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in the latest Tennis magazine that Australian Open is to change from Rebound Ace to a less rubbery court called Plexicushion. How does this Plexicushion surface play and who will it favour?

·
Registered
10,598 Posts

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Damn. I was hoping they'd pick a slower, higher-bouncing surface, but that quote from the first or second articles says it all. The Australian Open will just be "U.S. Open B" if the surface starts playing too much like the American hardcourts.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Damn. I was hoping they'd pick a slower, higher-bouncing surface, but that quote from the first or second articles says it all. The Australian Open will just be "U.S. Open B" if the surface starts playing too much like the American hardcourts.
why? so it would suit nadal.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Allegedly they initially wanted it to be similar to Miami, but like I said in the other threads on this subject, they want it faster than before.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
AO organisers = AO killas

This is the most annoying decision a slam has made in a long time. 20 years ago, they found a great surface and it produced some of the most exciting matches we've ever seen. Why did they have to change? Were they really listening to Hewitt?

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
I really hope the surface doesn't play anything like the US Open. It's good to have the hardcourt Slams play differently.
The thing about Rebound Ace is that you could almost classify it as a separate surface. It's not just the speed of the court but the way it reacts to different kinds of spins is different to the Deco Turf used at the US Open. The four slams were effectively being played on rubber, clay, grass and hard courts. But now the AO is definitely being played on a hard surface and there's going to be little difference to the US Open, except the weather and the tennis balls.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Rebound ace was a great surface.

It benifited everyone.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Why did they change it? Because rebound ace tends to cause more injuries (being that it's kind of sticky)? It couldn't have been to suit Hewitt, as he hasn't been much of a factor recently.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Why did they change it? Because rebound ace tends to cause more injuries (being that it's kind of sticky)? It couldn't have been to suit Hewitt, as he hasn't been much of a factor recently.
I think it is to suit...at least Australian players. The slower surface did nothing for them.

And yes, the stickiness of the surface was definitely a problem of the surface, and the way it heated up, but overall, it was as relatively neutral playing wise as could be expected. (But don't tell GWH. :p)

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is a wide variety on how they could affect the speed of the courts. It could go anywhere from Miami/Montreal speed to US Open speed. Hopefully they make it like the Miami/Montreal courts.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
I think that's what TA said - because of the sticky surface and the way it retains heat. Even this year there were news reports that the courts were faster (due to the resurfacing the did) but guys like Fed & Safin said they couldn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
I wonder why they needed to change, especially since the AO had succeeded in having a distinct surface, now they will be characterized as a slow hard court at best. I am not sure even that the surface itself was more hazardous to the players than any other hard court, so why change?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts