Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching the news feed and praying for Australia. God bless all of those who are affected. Given the current state of affairs, it wouldn't surprise me if the AO is canceled or postponed (if postponement of a slam is even an option).

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
i really doubt it'll be postponed or cancelled unless the city itself gets affected. they still launched the new years fireworks so...

·
9,637 Posts
Bush fires aren't getting into a heavily built up area like the Melbourne CBD.
Only risk is the amount of smoke around, but they can close the roof if necessary. (like they do with that very ambiguous heat policy)
Cant play a slam with 2 or 3 courys though...but i assume you are well in the know when you say wont affect it anyway

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
If they actually did cancel the Australian open it would be pretty funny because it would manage to piss off all three of the big 3 fanbases. Rafa fans for denying him a shot at the double career slam, Nole fans for denying him a shot at the slam where he is king, and Rogie fans since AO is one of only two slams he can still perform at, and he will be basically 39 by the time wimbledon happens

Andy fans will be able to sit back and enjoy the ruins since the knight has already withdrawn anyways and is preparing his campaign for a third Olympic gold medal to solidify his goat status. @Unbiased

·
Registered
574 Posts
Relax, guys. Bushfires don't act for a long time. To 20 January it will be done. Now Melbourne has a problem with smoke, but to tournament dates seems like it's gonna be ok.

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
Relax, guys. Bushfires don't act for a long time. To 20 January it will be done. Now Melbourne has a problem with smoke, but to tournament dates seems like it's gonna be ok.
Normal bushfire season is just about to start. Peak heatwave season is just about to start. What we had until now was caused by extreme drought. It is far from over I'm afraid.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,342 Posts
Normal bushfire season is just about to start. Peak heatwave season is just about to start. What we had until now was caused by extreme drought. It is far from over I'm afraid.
This is an extended bushfire season for sure. The drought before the storm some might say.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Too earIy to say how it affects AO20 but one wouId hope there's some sort of drive by ATP/ITF to heIp in any way for the damage aIready caused since AO does make an effort to run one of the best GS's of the year even if they tend to show favouritism towards Swiss ‘GOAT’.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Too earIy to say how it affects AO20 but one wouId hope there's some sort of drive by ATP/ITF to heIp in any way for the damage aIready caused since AO does make an effort to run one of the best GS's of the year even if they tend to show favouritism towards Swiss ‘GOAT’.
They have already announced these fundraising initatives:

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
If the AO is delayed say 1-2 weeks or so, with no other events in his schedule (unlike Rafa and Djokovic), would it behoove Rogie to play an event so he doesn't come into the 2020 AO too rusty/undercooked??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Today the air quality in Melbourne is "very poor". I am healthy but was coughing a lot when outside, and I can't imagine it would be good for tennis players if it continues. Two weeks is a long time away though

·
Registered
765 Posts
Went for a walk today and while I am fit and use to being around smokers but I wouldn't want to play a five setter in that against anyone that liked long rallies.

The smoke could clear in a week and for most of this week the wind direction should be pushing the wind away from Melbourne but the wind has been light and there is that much smoke it is lingering and with the wind possibly changing direction later in the next week then that might add to the smoke.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Have no issue w/ appropriate deIay or use of indoor courts. This ongoing phenomena is bigger than tennis so AII pro pIayers have to adjust to conditions & it's aII relative anyway.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts