Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see much on Wed-Fri as I could only go after work, but stayed the whole day on Saturday. Will post some pics later.

Qualifying Wednesday

Recouderc def Coelho 6-2 6-3

Coelho started off well enough, but he was broken in the 3rd game after leading 40-15 on his serve, and on the next game had 15-40 to break back but lost both games making stupid errors. After that it was all downhill and he could barely get a ball in play. Recouderc didn’t really have big weapons but just stayed solid and got the ball into play which was all he had to do.

Healey def Trujillo Soler 6-2 6-1

Nathan played excellent tennis and hit a lot of great winners. Gabriel didn’t play terrible or anything, he just had no chance against an inspired Healey, who had greatly improved his form since the AO WC playoffs.

Troicki def Lugassy 3-6 6-0 6-4

This was a pretty good match, both played well. Lugassy looked quite inexperienced, and made some errors at the crucial moments which made the difference. Also Troicki served very well at the end while Lugassy struggled. Lugassy was pretty entertaining to watch, he showed every emotion out there and was always talking loudly in French to himself, his team and anyone who was listening. He didn’t seem disappointed about the result at the end even though he lost.

Bohli def Qureshi

Aisam played like shit in the 3rd set, he was making errors just trying to slice the ball back in, and missing a lot of easy shots. He looked very disappointed in the way he was playing. Bohli stayed solid and that was enough for the win.

Huta Galung def King 6-4 7-5

Didn’t see much of this, but King didn’t seem very good, just slices the ball around and doesn’t have much power. Huta Galung was too solid for him.

Haase def Soeda 6-2 7-5

I was impressed with Haase, he was very consistent and has a lot of variety on the backhand, he hits topspin, slice and flat all in the same rally.

Thursday

Gremelayr def Fischer 6-4 6-7(5) 9-7

This was a high quality match and exciting. Fischer looks very young, like a gawky pale white skinny teenager, though I think he is older than he looks. Both had good serves and groundies and there was little between them though Denis managed to get the break in the end. Many people, including other players and coaches were watching this match. Lukas Rosol stood next to me to watch it, I may now have a new favourite player and I’ve never even seen him play!

Dlouhy def Greg Jones 6-1 4-6 6-3

I saw the end of the 3rd set, Dlouhy just a better player than Jones in all departments. Not sure how he lost a set, probably wants to make it harder for himself as usual.

Kevin Kim def Cipolla 7-5 6-2

Cipolla was playing badly and was frustrated with himself. He served and volleyed quite a few times which surprised me a bit. Kim was just too solid from the baseline and ended the match with a beautiful angle crosscourt return winner passing shot off a Cipolla S&V.

Saturday

Baker def Koellerer 6-4 6-4

Sadly I missed the antics in the 2nd set as I only watched the first set. However Koellerer was still being his usual self, complaining about the calls and throwing his racquet a lot, and getting pissed off at people walking in the stands. I noticed Andreas Egli and John Blom separately, relaxing in the audience watching the match. I guess all the umpires are interested in watching Koellerer in their spare time! It was a good match, both seemed evenly matched. Baker is very solid from the baseline and Koellerer can mix it up with some great net play too.

Levy def Jenkins 7-6(4) 6-3

Jenkins is a good player, with a powerful serve and groundstrokes, seems to be very talented. He got down on himself in the 2nd set though, and made a few too many UEs. After one game he dropped his racquet and kicked it all the way to his chair, and had very poor body language. Levy has a mediocre serve but just stayed consistent and that was enough to get through. He was very pumped when he won this match.

Warburg def Dolgopolov Jr 5-7 7-6(5) 14-12

This was a marathon match that took up the whole morning and lasted about 3 ½ hours. Both have decent but not huge serves, the reason they couldn’t break was because they were both crappy returners. Like most Americans Warburg is a good all court player with good net skills, while Dolgopolov is a baseliner with his forehand the weapon. I must say Dolgopolov is the most girly looking player I’ve seen, if he was in a dress I’d mistake him for a WTA player. He even wears a hairband and a ponytail and grunts like a girl sometimes. It was an entertaining match because it was so close, but not the best quality and I don’t really rate either player. The woman Warburg was staying with in Melbourne was sitting near me cheering loudly for him, with “Come on Sammy!” “This point Sammy!”, one point after a Dolgopolov double fault she yelled “Well played!” to Sam :eek:. Dolgopolov was cramping late in the 3rd set and was badly limping and in pain, but showed a lot of heart to keep fighting and managed to keep holding his serve by going for broke on his forehand and making it. Both saved break points or match points in the 3rd set and it was going on forever, however Dolgopolov was the one who made a few loose errors to drop serve at 12-12 and Warburg managed to serve it out to love I think. He was really happy to win and came out again to acknowledge the crowd like the players do on big courts in the main draw.

Ram def Udomchoke 6-7(1) 7-5 6-2

This was a nice match between a serve-volleyer who likes to attack the net at every opportunity, and a speedy baseliner. Danai was getting the better of Ram, and doing a good job of getting the return down low then passing him. Danai was in control at a set and 4-1 up, and should have won from there but his level dropped and he allowed Ram back into the match. Ram started to gain confidence and started to play better, and Danai made more and more errors and went downhill from there. After Danai lost he walked straight to the next court to watch Tanasugarn play and support her, which was very nice.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Thanks for the reports. Very interesting reading.

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,842 Posts
Thanks for the report :yeah: Always nice to read others take on matches that show no bias :)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics

Scoville Jenkins
Sam Warburg
Oleksandr Dolgopolov Jr
Jamie Baker
Danai Udomchoke

Attachments

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Thanks a lot for your report!
Good to read Haase was playing well. I hope he'll be able to make it past the first round this year. :p

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Thanks for the report :yeah: I can't believe Danai lost :(

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics

Rajeev Ram
Fernando Verdasco (practice)
Viktor Troicki

Attachments

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gary Lugassy
Laurent Recouderc
Andrew Coelho
Go Soeda

Attachments

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Great stuff Experimentee and I will see you around the event during the week.

·
Registered
62,758 Posts
Thanks for the reports and pics. :)

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts
Indeed, if one of the Hanson boys can't perform, Dolgopolov could definitely fill in.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Just random things from what I have seen these past few days.

My friends and I have decided to find which court Oscar is playing on and dump clay on there.

Hartfield seems like a pleasant guy and it’s disappointing that he has to play Federer twice at GS level in the 1st round and yes he does look like Gaudio. Speaking of Argies, Charly Berlocq doesn’t have the mullet anymore, but has managed to get himself a decent looking woman.

Seeing Sam Querrey being dwarfed by John Isner and Sam is 196cm is hilarious for all the wrong reasons, though at least Sam is quicker than Isner, it might be close.

Oscar Hernandez is a very humble king and is prepared to talk with the masses and show his talents to the world and you know when he says a surface isn’t quick, then there is a good chance it isn’t.

Berdych wasn’t happy, as he was given the wrong info about a practice court. Well they had the chicks on there and they should have been sent to the carpark to train. Berdych’s coach Jaro Navratil is a very funny guy with a dry wit and wearing these loud yellow and red shirts, best of all he still has the great mullet. He was very relieved that Tomas was finally able to beat Simple Simon.

Massu is still a surly vampire and Almagro has a head the size of Saturn. Peta feels bad she took photos of Cilic, when she has to boo him when he plays Almagro.

Joakim Nyström is coaching Melzer now, and Melzer would love to have 1/30th of tennis brain , at the same time Melzer does very well off the court.

Greece vs. Chile match between Economidis and Gonzo should be fun and saw Larry Stefanki putting Feña through these backhand return drills and it was good to watch him show Gonzo where his feet were and why the ones he was missing were crap. Maybe there aren't enough hours in the day to do that.

Malisse has some strapping on the middle finger of his hand and a knee problem, plus in another huge surprise he has a new coach. He and Melzer lost to Lucho and Monaco in Auckland. He laughed when I told him my stringer friend said he was their best customer and even Horna during training said “Hey man, who many strings do you break on average”.

Seppi chucked his racquet over the fence after a hitting session with Klein in which he was awful, but he will still get to R2. The daughters of the coach are growing very fast and Seppi was more interested in talking about how AC Milan are so poor in the Serie A.

Andreev was actually hitting backhands in one of the sessions and has been quite pissy and his coach Altur said, “This is what happens when you play shit for 3 months, except Davis Cup”. He plays the cheery Pavel and at least one player I like makes it through there.

Acasuso just rules, the languid manner and he now has fans in Kristen and Peta, good to see that even after a while that class can be appreciated. Hope he has a good year, but playing Lizard Lips won’t be easy. His coach Orsanic is a River Plate fan, but we can’t have everything.

Koubek had this faded orange shirt, lets get the real stylish shirt happening.

Jamie Murray has great hair, too bad he supports Man Utd.

Adrian Voinea is a very cool guy, so why the hell does he train Boris Pashanski?

Nieminen is still very professional and he is a genuine class act, when that term gets thrown too loosely.

Acasuso and the King training was such quality stuff and the shoulder turn is still there for all to see.

Roitman was his usual cheery self. I am going to have words with him to export these shirts, he also trained with the King as well. The court could only handle so much flair.

Mats Wilander is busy with Mathieu and also good to see the Argie legends of Jaite, Gumy and Mancini.

Well got a big day tomorrow and have to enjoy it hopefully.

Yes, Volandri’s serve still sucks.

Reactions: Verd

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
Just random things from what I have seen these past few days.

Berdych wasn’t happy, as he was given the wrong info about a practice court. Well they had the chicks on there and they should have been sent to the carpark to train. Berdych’s coach Jaro Navratil is a very funny guy with a dry wit and wearing these loud yellow and red shirts, best of all he still has the great mullet. He was very relieved that Tomas was finally able to beat Simple Simon.
Great post PMK. I can sleep easy tonight knowing the mullet is still in place.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Thanks for the reports and photos, Experimentee. You mentioned/photographed quite a few that I was keeping an eye on. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts