Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
I believe Haas may have indicated to Nadal that he intends to retire.

Thought he wanted to play long enough for his daughter to see him play?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Haas made Nadal work no doubt. ESPN pissing me off trying to spin Rafa's shit performance. That won't get it done in this tournament. He runs into a legit threat he'll get steam rolled.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
If Haas only would drop that terrible slice and dropshots he would give Nadal a match, his forehand and serve was firing today.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Haas better than expected.

Nadal not very good IMO, played well only in patches. Tended to get tight at the business end of sets, which is worrying for his fans and him.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Haas was obviously tired by the end, but gave it a good fight.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Nadal looked pretty bad, he just wasn't on and couldn't find his A game. was missing too many put aways. the serve was MIA. the only thing he did well was volley from time to time.

hoping that he was just on cruise control out of respect for 33 year old Haas. Tommy please stick around a little longer

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
Pretty good from Haas, I guess that was his last match in Melbourne. :clap2:

Not good enough from Rafa, thought he meant business after round 1 but obviously not. Struggled to close out the first set and was, as usual, not attacking enough.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Rafa okay, some good winners but too many UFEs today but doesn't matter too much - it's a 2nd round match - all about getting through the first week. He doesn't need to be at top 4 beating level yet and frankly my expectations for the tournament were that if he gets to the SF it's a great result all things considered - from there anything can happen. So far that's still looking doable.

Clearly it might have been Haas' last Aus Open from the way he thanked the crowd and the long conversation with Rafa at the net - nice for him to go out on RLA playing a champion if so. He will be very much missed - hope he can turn back the years a few more times in 2012. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not the best performance from Rafa,quite an ugly straight sets vs Tommy Haas. Although, I must say Haas played better than I expected. He still looks in great shape and I hope he can have final hurrah by breaking in the top hundred. Nadal had his right knee strapped but was moving fantastically well. Nadal will breeze through either Lacko or Young. Nonetheless, Nadal of 2011 looks more impressive based on today, as he seemed to rely too much on Haas errors.

Nadal has a relatively good draw, Isner and Berdych can't stop him. If that semifinal takes place during a night session, I can see him winning in straight sets against Federer. Djokovic is altogether different matter. As Todd Woodbridge got Nadal to admit this.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I thought this was a rather decent performance from Haas, considering age, injury-record, etc.
'Good day at the office'-kind of performance from Rafa, but I still have to wait and see whether this level of playing will get him through the later rounds of the tournament. Always difficult judging the top guys' level of playing in early rounds of GS. Well done Rafa, and :hug:s Tommy!

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I thought this was a rather decent performance from Haas, considering age, injury-record, etc.
'Good day at the office'-kind of performance from Rafa, but I still have to wait and see whether this level of playing will get him through the later rounds of the tournament. Always difficult judging the top guys' level of playing in early rounds of GS. Well done Rafa, and :hug:s Tommy!
I agree :)

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Unconvincing performance from Rafa.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Hats off to Haas, he's an excellent person :hatoff: