Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The special one
14,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Masterclass from Novak today, especially on serve (Only 1 point lost in the first 2 sets) and returned well, nearly every Nishioka service game was a struggle, probably should've been more one sided than it was.

Ominous warning for his rivals. Diego next, should be a far tougher test.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
Yoshihito was hopeless but what a serving performance from Novak. That clowning towards to end was funny though.

·
Registered
17,960 Posts
Ridiculous serving performance by Djokovic, hitting aces at will and once even at 2nd serve.
Some improvement needed for baseline play, but can't complain if he'll be that effortlessly good in R4-QF next.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nice training session.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Dull is probs shitting his pants if he saw this match. Novak already owns him from the baseline so imagine the ass kicking we’re about to see if Djokovic plays him serving like that.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Ok serves by nd but nishi cannot return and has weak shots
Not quite true. Normally, Nishioka is good on return. If we look at the 52 week ranking at the stat-pages of ATP, Nishioka is number 70 on the serve-ranking (obviously not great) but number 9 on the return-ranking. Granted, this was hard to tell from the performance of today, but it gives some perspective to Nole's serving performance.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Not quite true. Normally, Nishioka is good on return. If we look at the 52 week ranking at the stat-pages of ATP, Nishioka is number 70 on the serve-ranking (obviously not great) but number 9 on the return-ranking. Granted, this was hard to tell from the performance of today, but it gives some perspective to Nole's serving performance.
Well, he is 5'7" / 1.70m so it's to be expected that he won't have a great serve. That usually means you are going to need a good return to be competitive

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Djokovic was scary good. I like what I saw from Nishioka, but he really needs a serve. Djokovic is the guy to beat here, that much is certain.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like Novak but to be honest this last two Japanes guys did him more bad than good in the long run. Their performances were poor and they almost gave match to Novak from the word go. And 17 aces from Novak in one match? Come on, you have to smell something was wrong :)

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
... Nearly the perfect day for Nole.A straight sets beatdown against Nishioka + Tsitsipas & Bautista Agut losing on the same day.Would've been the cherry on top had Federer lost because he would've had the ideal run to the finals.In this current form & the way he's been serving maybe,just maybe Raonic could muster up something special.

Nadal fans should be penciling in a 5th Australian Open Runner Up plate if their boy reaches the final again ;)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Why would Federer be a problem at AO this year for Nole? Nole was beating prime Federer at AO, so beating him this year should be no problem. I worry more about Raonic than Federer.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Why would Federer be a problem at AO this year for Nole? Nole was beating prime Federer at AO, so beating him this year should be no problem. I worry more about Raonic than Federer.
The Big 3 are more prone to more bad days these days. They are not as invincible as they used to be. Federer still has a chance. Djoker is playing well it seems, but long way to go. Raonic is a threat, but Federer is a bigger threat, even at 38.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Yes nd almost not lost any point on his serve. Extreme. Makes me wonder if nishi was ok physically

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I like Novak but to be honest this last two Japanes guys did him more bad than good in the long run. Their performances were poor and they almost gave match to Novak from the word go. And 17 aces from Novak in one match? Come on, you have to smell something was wrong :)
Nishioka is very short with not so good reach. Nd aced a lot with angle fh court.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts