Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, a wild Slamrev appered. Thank god it went away.

Great handshake, absolutly loved it. As for the Match the first two sets were good, after that, i better don't comment.

Alex Bolt is next, who also played a 5th set. Could be worse....

·
Registered
28,789 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Actually a decent match, Zverev was too passive but on his base level for most of the match. Chardy was very clutch in the 3rd and 4th sets, serving bombs and smashing forehands while facing BP. Fourth set was entertaining, but it took all of Chardy’s energy and he had nothing left for the fifth. Zverev should sort out his second serve though, double digits of DFs isn’t acceptable. Getting through 5-setters like this is perfectly normal and should be good for him as long as he recovers for the next match.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Very much up and down / patchy from Zverev. Agree on the 2nd serve which was mentioned above. Benefited from better stamina in the 5th. All in all seemingly still the same with Zverev, i.e. question is can he maintain level throughout BO5, and can he do it B2B for two weeks (e.g. got beat by Djok in the RR of WTF, but then came out swinging later on). Guilty until proven innocent.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
:facepalm:

Didn't watch from the end of the forth onwards, but truly expect a Cilicesque collaps. Fortunately he doesn't have Cilics weak mentality so he managed to win the decider pretty easily. Just too bad his FH isn't as strong as Cilics either, so there we have probably the main reason why he even lost two sets...

Even though there was a bit of luck included today, I think the most fortunate thing for him was Bolts win earlier. Simon would have just teared him apart.

Actually a decent match, Zverev was too passive but on his base level for most of the match. Chardy was very clutch in the 3rd and 4th sets, serving bombs and smashing forehands while facing BP. Fourth set was entertaining, but it took all of Chardy’s energy and he had nothing left for the fifth. Zverev should sort out his second serve though, double digits of DFs isn’t acceptable. Getting through 5-setters like this is perfectly normal and should be good for him as long as he recovers for the next match.
Yeah, he just lacks a great kick serve. DFs are mostly not that much of a problem because of his height and his second serve is also quite fast, so not that attackable either. Both issues become problems when he plays longer matches I think, because I believe his serve is one of the more physically taxing ones. So he is in some trouble when tired legs affect the motion, the margin for error is rather low with that shot.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Zverev luck at Slams draws is only surpassed in amount by his inhability to get through them with ease or to live up to his ranking / expectations for a top 5.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Slamrev always delivers :worship:

Comedy as always
Barbie is ambitious and doesn't want just a GS glory. He wants at least 5 5-setters on his way to victory and it should be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Yeah, he just lacks a great kick serve. DFs are mostly not that much of a problem because of his height and his second serve is also quite fast, so not that attackable either. Both issues become problems when he plays longer matches I think, because I believe his serve is one of the more physically taxing ones. So he is in some trouble when tired legs affect the motion, the margin for error is rather low with that shot.
Hugely agree on this part. Not just today but a lot of the time we see him double fault he gets his motion a bit wrong (mainly because he doesn't have the most consistent motion, his arm/shoulder movement mainly) and usually the serve is netted when it happens. When he's fatigued that kind of mistake can happen way more often. What I saw today his ball toss was also a bit unpredictable but that could also just be fatigue because I haven't really noticed it being an issue recently aside from today

Chardy provided value for the fans in his two matches here, 10 sets. Zverev was the correct winner though, he was the better player overall and probably should have won it earlier, but he only really has himself to blame for the late breaks in set #3 and #4.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,629 Posts
Strategy was pretty poor from Zverev. Not proactive enough and let Chardy control with the FH and pull him into uncomfortable positions . Chardy ran out of gas in the 5th but seemed to have better point construction in mind in general though his BH weakness made life just a little easier.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Zverev made hard work of a slam match he could and should have won a lot sooner, as well as Chardy played. He maintained composure better than he has in previous similar situations but, while he got away with bad lapses of concentration this time, if they persist then future opponents will likely make him pay.

·
Registered
26,080 Posts
From what I've seen, Lahyani embarrassed himself yet again on GS level. Didn't he even scream an overule and announced a score, just to take it back few seconds later?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts