Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More talented player won.

Daniel has no business at further stages in a Slam so anyone winning against him is great for the game, let alone Shapovalov.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
NextGen players have been quite clinical today, seems that finally some consistency in slams has arrived. Shapo-Djokovic could be an entertaining match with his fearless attitude, after all he has nothing to lose.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Nice one Denis.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Shapovalov will lose badly against Djokovic, the serve is very weak.
Daniel had shitload of breakpoints, just couldn't convert any of them, while Sjapovalov had like two BP's whole match?

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Another satisfying match by Shapo. Like in good ole' times he dug himself holes and got himself out by clutch serving. Daniel, otoh, wasn't particularly clutch, but overall, as expected, didn't give many free points away. Denis did a good job avoiding excessive wildness pressing forward.

Next round is going to be iconic no matter who he faces. First ever match against Djokovic, or a 3rd chapter in his slam rivalry with Tsonga.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Fakers draw opens up yet again.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Good signs again from the Shapo serve. 16 aces, 4 doubles, 75% first serves. His next match against Novak will be the real acid test, but this is exactly how I was hoping he would start the year.

One thing I haven't heard anybody talking about is how good Shapo's forehand is at full stretch. His lateral movement is incredible and his defence from that wing is almost Rafa-like. It's getting harder and harder to win rallies against this guy.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Good signs again from the Shapo serve. 16 aces, 4 doubles, 75% first serves. His next match against Novak will be the real acid test, but this is exactly how I was hoping he would start the year.

One thing I haven't heard anybody talking about is how good Shapo's forehand is at full stretch. His lateral movement is incredible and his defence from that wing is almost Rafa-like. It's getting harder and harder to win rallies against this guy.
There are many signs that the off season training has ironed out a few niggles in his game. He should be relaxed going up against Novak - nothing to lose really.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I see some good signs too: his backhand ROS is really nice - a short backswing with a big punch to it. DF's seem to be coming down and that's a good sign. His movement on court is very good - he has some real speed and can literally get to almost anything - almost as good as the Demon. The serve motion seems to be almost like his original motion which will hopefully make him more comfortable. He's put on weight but it's really muscle - broader in the shoulders and bigger arms and legs. That strength is necessary going forwards. He seems calmer on court too. More patient. Would love to see a big breakthrough for him this year, but one step at a time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts