Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I don't think Novak's draw has ever been easier in the first 3 rounds of a Slam.
You actually only have to go back to the last slam (US Open 2019). He had Carballes Baena, Londero and Kudla in R1 to R3. Obviously Ito was a walking bye, but I think both Struff and Nishioka are more dangerous than any of these three.

Back to topic: Djokovic will very likely win this in three, but Nishioka has the potential to steal a set.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
It's OK to expect Evans to beat Nishioka, as you just "expect", but actually betting on him winning this one was madness, man. I mean, I'm talking to a friend of mine here, because that's what he did, and seriously, it should be obvious that there's a clear matchup issue here for Evans.

Nishioka is a nightmare for Evans. The Japanese would attack the Brit's BH at the shoulder height with his lefty FH moonball all day long even if nothing else works. Evans simply can't keep any rhythm at all. Nishioka used his FH to stop Evans from coming to the net, and then finished him off with his BH. Evans probable should've attacked Nishioka's serve more, but it would've been tough with that wind anyway.

Evans would've even preferred to play Roger or someone to dealing with that shit. I don't expect their H2H to get any better for Evans in the future.

Djokovic likes this result, though, because for him, Evans is probably a bit harder to play style-wise.

Anyway, congrats, Yoshi. That was pretty impressive. He's under-ranked now, and hopefully will reach where he actually belongs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts