Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Alex still hasn't devoloped enough power in his shots and serve. It will be a harsh lesson from Nadal in the next round.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
1st time watching Laaksonen. Love his technique, kind of of Simon-esque with not enough power and a bit too much slice-boting.

·
Registered
600 Posts
A bit annoying that Laak didnt challenge that call when he served at break point down at 3-4. He had made a stupid challenge earlier in the game that was never going his way and then didnt challenge the unreturned serve which turned out to be in and lost the point and was broken. Not saying it would have changed the result but a piece of poor decision making by him when he discussed it with the umpire and then decided to challenge and was told it was too late.

Btw at the handshake at the end Laak looked 2-3 inches taller than de minaur (is it just me or is it annoying that the aussie commentators are calling him 'the demon') and he is listed as 6'1" on wiki. Surely de minaur is less than his listed 6 foot ?

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
A bit annoying that Laak didnt challenge that call when he served at break point down at 3-4. He had made a stupid challenge earlier in the game that was never going his way and then didnt challenge the unreturned serve which turned out to be in and lost the point and was broken. Not saying it would have changed the result but a piece of poor decision making by him when he discussed it with the umpire and then decided to challenge and was told it was too late.

Btw at the handshake at the end Laak looked 2-3 inches taller than de minaur (is it just me or is it annoying that the aussie commentators are calling him 'the demon') and he is listed as 6'1" on wiki. Surely de minaur is less than his listed 6 foot ?
was it in? did your tv confirm it?

cause he did challenge it but the ump stupidly denied him. there was no reason not to allow that challenge

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

I think its moreso laaksonen that has the wrong height. Cause de minaur is at least an inch taller than hewitt who is 5’10.

·
Registered
600 Posts

cause he did challenge it but the ump stupidly denied him. there was no reason not to allow that challenge
The commentator (robbie koenig i believe) said it was confirmed by hawkeye as being 1mm in. I don't think Laak was hitting the ball hard enough to take it away from De Minaur but would have been good to see it finish without a wrong call

·
Registered
948 Posts
1st time watching Laaksonen. Love his technique, kind of of Simon-esque with not enough power and a bit too much slice-boting.
Well, he clearly has more power than both Simon and De Minaur. Other than that I agree with you though. His backhand tends to be a weakness especially when trying to be offensive; it's certainly better under pressure than when he has time. I personally love it when player use the slice effectively as Laaksonen did a fair few times today, but in his case it's clearly a result of weakness, or rather lack of confidence in his top spin backhand.

Shame he couldn't pull off the upset, but if he plays to his potential more consistently, then he shouldn't be struggling in challengers anymore.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I only watched last several games. Alex was really tired and understandably so. Not sure how it got dragged to 5 from 2 sets up. Probably for the same reason.
Hard to see him be able to recover for his next match, but the kid is a fighter if ever I've seen one. He'll try his best.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
I think its moreso laaksonen that has the wrong height. Cause de minaur is at least an inch taller than hewitt who is 5’10.
Looked at a few sources yesterday. Depending on the source De Minaur was listed as 5'11 5'12 or 6', or between 1.80m to 1.83m.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts

There is a reason, the umpire said it: "you have to challenge right away".

You're not allowed to approach the net and check the ball mark before challenging and that's what Laaks did. Even so imo the ump should've allowed him... But I only watched the last few games, perhaps it wasn't the first time Laaksonen did that.

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
There is a reason, the umpire said it: "you have to challenge right away".

You're not allowed to approach the net and check the ball mark before challenging and that's what Laaks did. Even so imo the ump should've allowed him... But I only watched the last few games, perhaps it wasn't the first time Laaksonen did that.
not just are those challenges allowed all the time, one is actually allowed to walk up/approach the net and check the mark, so youre wrong.

its not like he checked with his box.

the ump said "if you ask me its too late" how is that too late? players consult with the ump like 50% of the time before their challenges

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
not just are those challenges allowed all the time, one is actually allowed to walk up/approach the net and check the mark, so youre wrong.

its not like he checked with his box.

the ump said "if you ask me its too late" how is that too late? players consult with the ump like 50% of the time before their challenges
False. Doing that takes too much time. The chair umpire is allowed to deny a challenge, if the challenge is not made "in a timely manner". Now, judging what exactly constitutes a "timely manner" is subjective from the chair ump obviously, but that is what the rulebook says.

Like I said, I don't exactly agree with this umpire in this particular call, but what he did can be defended from the rulebook's point of view.

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
False. Doing that takes too much time. The chair umpire is allowed to deny a challenge, if the challenge is not made "in a timely manner". Now, judging what exactly constitutes a "timely manner" is subjective from the chair ump obviously, but that is what the rulebook says.

Like I said, I don't exactly agree with this umpire in this particular call, but what he did can be defended from the rulebook's point of view.
Do you have the rule somewhere? I heard that its allowed to walk up and check the mark, and he cant be expected to run there deep into the fifth... so yeah, his judgement was wrong here.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Do you have the rule somewhere? I heard that its allowed to walk up and check the mark, and he cant be expected to run there deep into the fifth... so yeah, his judgement was wrong here.
I didn't find the official rulebook with my quick google search but here are challenges explained on Wimbledon's website: The Championships, Wimbledon 2018 - Official Site by IBM

One of the notes:
"- The Chair Umpire may only refuse the Electronic Review if he/she believes that the challenge was not made in a timely manner. Otherwise, the Chair Umpire will use the Electronic Review when there is a player/team challenge. The result of the Electronic Review is final and unappealable."

I would assume that this is a general rule for the challenge system everywhere, not just in Wimbledon. That's what I've always heard from commentators too.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Good match.

As mentioned above Laaksonen has surely a lot more power than other mentioned players.
His forehand is huge and can be played flat but also with heavy spin, his fitness is great, his serve is solid.

I saw a lot of Laaksonen's matches, also a few live here in Basel.
His mentality is just not there, that's a bit sad to see because his potential is and was always there,
especially since 2016.

De Minaur was quite the opposite today, rather passive but his mentality was just perfect, it was nearly always clear that he will win in the 5th set although Laaksonen played better in sets 3 & 4. For Laaksonen Best-of-5 is clearly better because it opens things up, but he needs to raise his mentality and focus. At the moment he wins when he is clearly the better player and when both play on the same level (more or less) he loses most of those matches.

Still: A fine tournament from Laaksonen, four wins and a good fight today. Hopefully he can have a great 2019.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts