Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The special one
14,700 Posts
Thiem was in cruise control until 6-2 5-3 and then Bolt played the best set and a half of his life. That said Thiem should've won both sets he lost, served for the 2nd and had multiple BPs in a few of Bolts service games in the 3rd. At least he lives to fight another day.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
excellent match from Dominic, if we ignore the mental midgetry in sets 2 and 3
probably wanted to make it more exciting for his fans

·
justice for all
16,244 Posts
A win is a win so I'm happy Dominic got through. But I just hope those two unnecessarily lost sets due to his own muggery will not cost him later on in the tournament. Interestingly Dominic played two left handed players. Maybe it's a good omen? ;)
Now you need to stop that clownery, Domi, cause next round vs Fritz/ Anderson will be way bigger challenge.
Come on!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hmm. Won’t get away with this sort of thing going forward.

The good thing for Thiem is you get the feeling that he can suddenly click and play at a high level. But not sure we’ve ever seen it at the AO before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I actually think having an early tussle like this will help Dominic's chances. His fitness is insane and it's good that he's been tested ahead of a meeting with Anderson/Fritz. I found it interesting that he kept pointing to his forehead late in the match, Wawrinka style. He obviously has a lot in common with Stan and seems to be consciously emulating some of his mental tricks.

Also, huge credit to Alex Bolt. He really executed his gameplan to perfection today.

...forget about Thiem winning a slam if he bottles it against this kind of opposition. As far as I'm concerned, he only has two chances: this RG and the next, until he's eclipsed by someone from NG even there. No way he's winning a HC slam.
The guy won Indian Wells, Vienna and Beijing last year. He nearly won the Tour Finals too. What are you on about?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Glad the last two sets were easier for Domi, but he really needs to pull his act together soon now. Playing five setters won't do him any good, even though he's one of the fittest guys on tour.

I admit I couldn't watch some of the stuff in the second and third set - instead I tried to take a nap figuring it was all just a bad dream (which could have ended up being a real nightmare).

All credit to Bolt playing like he did in those two sets especially. Thankfully there could be only one winner in the end.

There is definitely an easier way to do this for Dominic. I guess he's feeling quite the same way at the moment, wondering what exactly happened in those two sets he lost.

Wishing he'll figure out how to avoid these kind of lengthy matches and lapses of concentration before the next round.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
The guy won Indian Wells, Vienna and Beijing last year. He nearly won the Tour Finals too. What are you on about?
A slam is different. Ask Berdych, Tsonga, Dimitrov, Zverev and a thousand others. What kind of scoreline do you think would Djokovic or Nadal win by? I suspect about 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 and that's what's required in the early rounds if you want to go all the way.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I found it interesting that he kept pointing to his forehead late in the match, Wawrinka style. He obviously has a lot in common with Stan and seems to be consciously emulating some of his mental tricks.
I think that gesture has got a lot to do with keeping his mind in the game, even during those moments when he feels that this particular match will be an easy one to win - which often leads to the lapse of concentration. Dominic is pretty vulnerable to those lapses, I've seen it happen so many times.

So I really do not find it that similar to Stan's gesturing, but that's just my opinion and doesn't mean it's the (only) right one. While Stan's pointing to his forehead to me seems more like a gesture of being proud of some wise tactics (which is often even not the case when he does it, it may be just an ue from his opponent or smthng similar), Domi was in my opinion more or less trying to keep himself awake and reminding himself that all depends on him not losing his concentration at the end of the match.

But like I said, this is just my opinion, all other opinions are welcome and appreciated by me.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
A slam is different. Ask Berdych, Tsonga, Dimitrov, Zverev and a thousand others. What kind of scoreline do you think would Djokovic or Nadal win by? I suspect about 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 and that's what's required in the early rounds if you want to go all the way.
no one is saying Thiem is Nadal or Djokovic...
Stan also won in 5 against Evans in the 3rd round on his way to US Open glory, let's not jump to conclusions
but of course it is not a very encouraging sign

Reactions: guitarra

·
justice for all
16,244 Posts
Stan also won in 5 against Evans in the 3rd round on his way to US Open glory, let's not jump to conclusions
He even saved the MP in that match. Who would have thought then than in 10 days he'd lift the trophy...

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Thiem is doing it all the time though. If he can win a slam despite that, good for him but I doubt it. Zverev does the same thing and we know how he's been at slams so far.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,334 Posts
Third set was peaking Bolt. There was that shot around the net, was crisping his volleys right.

But he ran out of steam as expected, steadier player prevailed.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Good match level-wise from Thiem for the majority of it, but should have really been a routine straight set victory. Great tennis from Bolt, particularly in set 3 though (a set Thiem should have won anyway).

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I thought Domi will lose this match after the 3rd set, he proved me wrong. I don't have high expectations, because he doesn't like playing in Australia. He doesn't have anything to lose here and every win is a bonus.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts