Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
One of Zverev's best slam matches of his career. No BPs given up. Cruised and was never really threatened. Big win for him to get to a QF without dropping a set.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I did not think zverev will win, not to mention that easily. Good for sasha, his first hardcourt slam QF.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Is this real? Sasha in a slam QF without losing set??
it feels surreal, specially after his messy start of the year

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
my heartfelt congrats to Sasha and his fans, after another rough patch
today he was fantastic, nothing more to say. very ironic that he is now last Nextgener in the tourney, when nobody would have expected it!
very warm embrace at the net, always good to see

i think in the next round he is a slight underdog against Stan, but who knows? ;)

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Undoubtably the best performance Zverev has ever had against a quality opponent in a grand slam, complete overpowering just like the last 3 meetings. Rublev‘s serve has improved, but he truly had no answer today against Zverev’s huge serving and clean striking from the baseline. Wonder what the odds were that Zverev and Raonic would be the only two to reach QF without dropping a set ? ? ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well....I was wrong :(

Rublev just could not get into the Zverev service game. Kudos to Alexander for serving well and putting himself in a position to potentially make his first semifinal at a slam.

·
Super Moderator
8,828 Posts
Rublev is an easy match up for Zverev cause of many reasons. Their matches are lopsided.

However, still surprised Slamrev clinched it in three more or less easy sets

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Excellent stuff.

·
Registered
16,155 Posts
One of Zverev's best slam matches of his career. No BPs given up. Cruised and was never really threatened. Big win for him to get to a QF without dropping a set.
wow.

Rublev tired or not, thats insane.

zverev in a slam quarterfinal w/o losing a set.

off of career worst form. funny how some things go.

·
Registered
768 Posts
NID.
For all of the improvement, mainly in terms of consistency, in Rublev's game it remains extremely linear, one-dimensional and predictable. It's still very effective against a number of good players, mostly with weak(er) backhand and ROS, but it's not gonna work against Zverev.
Rublev's biggest weapon -- inside out FH -- goes straight to Zverev' strongest wing. Plus, Sascha is more than happy to rally from well behind the baseline when he needs to — Rublev's hitting patterns are easy to read and he always hits the same ball and hardly ever creates angles.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
my word this was incredible. Lost for words. 12 sets in a row, not broken today. So happy for him, he needs and deserves this. Thank you Brenda

Reactions: STUHL

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Once rid off the extra pressure and expectations he got with winning Masters1000 and WTF so young, he is maybe on good rails again.

That said I expect some meaty win (like vs. Stan) to be sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe playing with a purpose relaxes him. From now on he should choose a charity to donate all his prize money to if he wins a slam.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts