Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not bad for a BO5 debut in a Slam (and in 5 sets), Ymer! :yeah: Soeda started playing solid tennis and was mentally into the match from the third set until the end.

Ymer really had occasions to win this match in 3 or 4, but he clearly lacks maturity. His impatience and lack of experience were clearly major factors in this loss. Otherwise, he's got an excellent and efficient arsenal of shots (his forehand particularly); they look absolutely effortless and powerful. His serve needs extra weight on it, but that will come with time and muscular strengthening.
It's obviously not the first time I watch him play, but it's the first time we all could see him in a MD of a Grand Slam - where it all matters. And I am more than satisfied (even though he lost). Really, give him 3 or 4 years to be ripe, and he will be a contender for slams and will certainly be into the Top 20, if not Top 10. In my opinion, Ymer is the real deal, the young gun to watch. Tennis has got a bright future!

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
Ymer has played many BO5 set matches in Davis Cup ;) Therefore I thought he'd come trough this. Too bad :sad:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Ymer was nowhere near this level last season, he's trending in the right direction. Imo looks like he could solidify himself about top150, in best case scenario even approach top100. You say his serve needs more weight but it's leaps and bounds better aswell, regularly putting 200-205 kmh on the first serves and a decent percentage aswell.

It's now the hard work begins.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
This was a good opportunity for both. Kudos to Soeda for pulling through. Japanese tennis is doing so well

·
Registered
474 Posts
This was a very winnable match for Ymer and he has improved his game. I think he was the better player in set 1,2,3 so he could've won this match in straight sets. Give him a few more years and he will be a really good player.

·
Premium Member
29,587 Posts
Too bad but good signs from Elias. :)

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
yeah Ymer has certainly improved a lot lately. He can play even with top100 guys now. Soeda was really bad in the beginning but raised his level as the match progressed.

Ymer's inexperience showed on important points as he got tired. Instead of taking his time he often ripped away his first serve missing with a few feet rather than a few inches. That was wasteful and really cost him. Also it's alarming when he misses so many easy rally shots. It's one thing to miss it when cranking up the FH, another to net routine shots just trying to get them over the net.

But on the positive side he's starting to have some decent power in his game. The 1st serve often above 200km/h and he actually hit some stunning FH winners too. His mental stability isn't too bad either. Think Ymer's loss today had more to do with lack of technique and lack of experience rather than nerves. Soeda of course also deserves credit for raising his game after a disaster first set.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Great prospect. I'm excited to see what he can do in the future.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Soeda overcame Clutch's curse. Is that enough to call him the GOAT?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Soeda overcame Clutch's curse. Is that enough to call him the GOAT?
Yes. Soeda was playing against Ymer and Clutch but still came through though it did take him 3 sets to get going.
Ymer should be proud played well on his slam debut was crunching the FH.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Slept after 1St set. Which Ymer owned completely. Weak serve Soeda.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Feels so weird to see a Swedish player in a main draw of a Slam these days. Ever since Soderling left the tour, I've been so used to seeing no Swedes on the ATP Tour level. How good is this Elias Ymer guy?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
good showing for Soeda, Ymer also played well for his slam debut, fun match to watch, I thought Elias would pull through but eithe way he's improving and he'll get there long term

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Feels so weird to see a Swedish player in a main draw of a Slam these days. Ever since Soderling left the tour, I've been so used to seeing no Swedes on the ATP Tour level. How good is this Elias Ymer guy?
he's solid but very raw and young, it's going to take him time, also he's probably more of a threat on clay. Can be top 50 for sure

1 - 20 of 25 Posts