Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fantastic first match from Grisha. Janko stole the first set but after that the Bulgarian was in total control. His forehand seems much heavier than last season and that made it hard for Tipsarevic to apply much pressure to his backhand (which was also solid). Grigor also got 66% first serves into play and hit 18 aces, offset by 8 double faults, which are encouraging numbers compared to last year. Promising early signs for his partnership with Agassi. And he has a decent draw here with Cuevas, Opelka/Fabbiano and his pigeon Kevin Anderson coming in the next rounds.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Re: Australian Open R1: Dimitrov d. Tipsarevic 4-6 6-3 6-1 -64

Surprised there was no thread. If Dimitrov's biggest fan, Hanneul wasn't banned, trust him to have opened it faster than Man_user opens threads.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Surprised there was no thread. If Dimitrov's biggest fan, Hanneul wasn't banned, trust him to have opened it faster than Man_user opens threads.
Dimitard and Spirographus are also asleep at the wheel so it's fallen to a third tier Grigor fan like myself to open the thread. Dark days, but I think going under the radar like this will suit him.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Good to see Grigor get the win here. He shook off the nerves from the 1st set, raised his game to break at the start of the 2nd and bullied Tipsarevic around the court for the next 2 sets. 4th set was tighter but Grigor raised his level to break in the last game and get the win. He's striking the ball well and looks very good in patches but there are still too many silly errors and loses of concentration. Cuevas will be tricky but on a hard court, Grigor really should come through that match.

It's never a bad day when Tipsarevic loses so he can go back to obscurity now. There's no place for ignorant bigots like him on the tour.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Expected win, should have won in 3 sets. Haven't watched Cuevas this year, but from what I've seen he hasn't had good results overall. Didn't expect him to beat Lajovic, but maybe he was fresher. On paper should be easy, but I'm expecting a real battle for Grigor in the next round.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Tough draw for Tipsy. Dimitrov likes these courts.

I hope Janko can remain healthy now and produce some good tennis in the coming season.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Love both players but I was with Janko..bad luck with the draw.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Good showing for Janko after so much time away from the tournaments. He still has the shots. He fell off physically after that 1st set.

·
Registered
908 Posts

Dimitard and Spirographus are also asleep at the wheel so it's fallen to a third tier Grigor fan like myself to open the thread. Dark days, but I think going under the radar like this will suit him.
Just lack of sleep... As I am too lazy to write again, I'l just paste my opinion from Grigor's Forum:

So far so good! Not very impressive against Tipsarevic, but I am quite happy with what I saw for the following reasons:

1) Grigor always starts slowly and shows signs of rust and/or lack of adaptation to the court/balls/conditions in the first match, but given the chance, improves and raises his level as the match/tournament progresses. That's why it is so important not to face someone from the higher echelons (or in God Mode) in the first 2 rounds.

2) Tipsarevic was actually very good and on some fantastic form, considering his lack of competitive tennis for the last year and a half. Sure, he was not moving very well after a set and a half, but firing some serious serves and shots (including DDL) off both wings. Really impressed with him, he will do well this season if his body allows him and he desires it. And I thought he had only come for the cheque...

3) Main weaknesses were again relatively low % of 1st serve and poor top-spin BH, but both elements improved with the progression of the match, especiqally the second.

4) Very impressed that Grigor took the lead in both 2nd and 3d sets early on and DID NOT crack under pressure or gift back the breaks. Something, which is very untypical of him lately and something I am VERY HAPPY about.

So, again, no fireworks or really impressive stuff from Grigor, but also some good signs and not too much struggle. Onto Cuevas next. Did anyone watch his match with Lajovic? Was Pablo that good or was the Serb that bad?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts