Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Berdych has only lost to the Big 4+ Wawrinka here the last 8 years, really a bad draw for Edmund. Pretty much the result we would have expected 2 years ago though, didn’t think Edmund would fold so easily.

·
Registered
21,281 Posts
Saw that coming a mile away. Berdych looks in form, came off from a Doha final and loves playing Down Under.

Edmund is the higher ranked but hasn’t been playing well for a while, with this result his ranking will surely plummet a bit since he was defending SF points.

Berdych ground strokes are looking strong, I am always impressed at how clean and smooth he hits the FH/BH. I can totally see Berdych in the 2nd of this slam and possibly have a meeting with Nadal in R4 which would be funny for old times sake.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Didn't expect anything else tbh. Glad Tomas is on fire, he's the part of the nostalgia train, and we need that these days, don't we. Edmund did very well last year, but didn't show strength when it came to repeating and improving previous results, which is one of the characteristics of a potential champion in my opinion. I see him fading for a few months, possibly being ready to bite hard around may or smtn like that. As for Tomas, as Cloren said, such a joy to see that forehand struck so cleanly, I wish he had more variety with bh. Taking into account that 2012 epicness, I am already drooling over potential Rafa match.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Congrats to Thomas and commiserations to Edmund who played against a real top 10 player today.
Haase next for the big Czech. One shouldn't look too far ahead but it would be amazing to see a Berdych-Nadal round of 16 match.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Huge hit for Kyle when the new rankings get released, out the top 20 at least when the AO points drop off from last year.
It was coming tbh. Even if he wins today couldn't see him getting past 4th round really so would still lose points.

He overachieved a year ago obviously. Now he needs to make sure he dosen't totally drop off and go back to 40-50th position. A strong period up to clay season now required. Last year he hardly won a match on hard court after AO up to April.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
What a shame I missed this
So happy for Tomas! Go further please

Kyle :sad: get your shit together please :sobbing:

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Everything was pointing towards a Berdych win here. Berdych played great in Doha, he always plays great in Australia, Edmunds form is a bit suspicious and even more importantly, ClutchOn&Win was betting on Edmund. That also explains the bagel.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Everything was pointing towards a Berdych win here. Berdych played great in Doha, he always plays great in Australia, Edmunds form is a bit suspicious and even more importantly, ClutchOn&Win was betting on Edmund. That also explains the bagel.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That clown has completely lost the plot. He has gone from an arrogant ****end with clearly decent knowledge of the spot, to a serial degenerate scamming gambler page.

His twitter is incredible, the guy has massive issues.

·
23,063 Posts
Reminds me of 2013, when the likes of Haas, Youzhny and Robredo suddenly finding good form and blocking the youngsters like Dimitrov at that time. Edmund not in good form while Berdych is, but you would think Edmund would've given more of a struggle. At least it seems he's not out of the Top 50. Meanwhile Berdych is currently in danger of dropping out of the Top 100 so this begins his Australian Open trial.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That clown has completely lost the plot. He has gone from an arrogant ****end with clearly decent knowledge of the spot, to a serial degenerate scamming gambler page.

His twitter is incredible, the guy has massive issues.
Yeah, £50 per month for his "Premium Service" is just a huge fraud. But there must be people paying for that, otherwise he would have probably stopped promoting it. :lol:

Also love the excuses whenever one of his bets fails, the players are always injured then. :lol:

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Watching Berdych live really highlights how effortlessly he generates power, it's very obvious when you watch him court side. It's actually a little bit breathtaking how fast yet compact his strokes are, you barely even notice it and he's producing canons with ease. His cross court hook forehand has to be one of the cleanest ground strokes in the sport. It makes you wonder how well Federer played here a few years ago when he made Berdych look silly.

Turns out Berdych is a pretty horrible match up for Edmund who still has some serious weaknesses he has to work out. He's clearly missing that competitive edge or killer instinct that's required to be a consistent top 10 player. After getting bageled and being made to look very mediocre for the best part of 2 sets it was hard to see much reaction from him at all, physically or emotionally. I don't think I've ever seen a serve that big be so ineffectual before. Berdych was absolutely creaming his returns even off first serves, it just seemed like no matter how hard Edmund was hitting them they always ended up right in Berdych's hitting zone. The lack of precision placement and the inability to hit some change up serves was a telling factor.

I was actually more impressed with Edmund's backhand today than his "weapon". He hit some very nice, controlled winners/passing shots and just in general handled pace off that wing a lot better. The forehand, while massive, is a very one dimensional shot. When he has time to planet his feet and just swing it can be devastating, but against someone like Berdych you're not afforded that luxury all that often. His serves were getting returned so early and deep that he hardly had time to setup on the forehand the way he wanted to. He doesn't seem to have the racket head speed to compensate in the instances where he can't just stand there and take a full cut at the ball. Instead he was constantly rushed which resulted in shots that either went wide or bounced up around the service line waiting to be clubbed away by his opponent. He could also benefit from developing a heavier stock standard rally forehand. When he goes for it's big but his normal shots won't really scare too many players, today Berdych hardly looked like he broke a sweat for 80% of the rallies.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts