Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty clinical demolition. Fed moves onwards.

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
Really liked what I saw from Roger while preparing to go to work (7 AM here) Think he will be a force here.

Steve was terrible though.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Court seems to be slow and low bouncing. Fed was efficient and got his first match under his belt. Seems to be hitting ok both wings. Best part of the match was fed returning very well.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Easy routine win. Johnson was pretty bad but Federer played well and was never troubled. Perfect start to the tournament.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Can’t judge Federer’s form after a match like this.
In the third set i saw some easy misses.Too early to say anything. Hope he worked hard in the offseason so at least his fitness is there.He looked pretty sweaty by the end of the match.
Otoh Johnson had nothing to hurt him. Not even his once good serve.
Rla seems medium slow. Something slow Miami-Iw.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Can’t judge Federer’s form after a match like this.
In the third set i saw some easy misses.Too early to say anything. Hope he worked hard in the offseason so at least his fitness is there.He looked pretty sweaty by the end of the match.
Otoh Johnson had nothing to hurt him. Not even his once good serve.
Rla seems medium slow. Something slow Miami-Iw.
Really? Miami/IW are not much faster than RG, without the randomness of clay.
If it is low bounce, Fed may still have a chance.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
It seemed low bounce indeed, but imho the courts are medium slow. Let's wait for an official Cpi.
Also, the conditions might add to the speed aswell.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
This great champion marches on.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
really happy with his backhand and court coverage today

·
justice for all
15,151 Posts
Well done, Roger.

At this stage it's crucial that he keeps it short and in the rhythm. Any 5 setter or long 4 setter and he's cooked.

·
Super Moderator
7,623 Posts
Given the circumstances, at 38 with virtually no warmup and straight to Bo5 during day shift, I think this was a very, very good performance by Federer. Stellar scoreline too. Foundations for a good run look like they're there; extremely solid serve and overall steady BH. Looking forward for what's to come!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Federer will reach his career peak at Wimbledon final this summer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Beautiful tennis from the Maestro- looks to be in great form despite the long layoff from official match play.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As other say, this match doesn't give us any clues on Federer's current form as Johson is one of the worst jorney men on the tour. Did Fed play any tournament or match prior to the AO? Any exhition match? Federer has a good record in this tournament except for last year where he lost to that Greek man in arguarly his worst match downunder ever. Anywho, we can't say much about where Feder's game is until he faces a quality player not like a journey man like Johnson, whom I consder one of the most boring players on the tour to watch. As young guns like Zverev and Rublev are improving fast, Federer's chance of winning another slam is getting slimmer every gand slam, so he'd better win this one.
P.S. Struff would have lost in straight sets if Djokovic didn't give it a thought to entertain the crowd IMO.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
As other say, this match doesn't give us any clues on Federer's current form as Johson is one of the worst jorney men on the tour. Did Fed play any tournament or match prior to the AO? Any exhition match? Federer has a good record in this tournament except for last year where he lost to that Greek man in arguarly his worst match downunder ever. Anywho, we can't say much about where Feder's game is until he faces a quality player not like a journey man like Johnson, whom I consder one of the most boring players on the tour to watch. As young guns like Zverev and Rublev are improving fast, Federer's chance of winning another slam is getting slimmer every gand slam, so he'd better win this one.
P.S. Struff would have lost in straight sets if Djokovic didn't give it a thought to entertain the crowd IMO.
No he didn’t play anything. He had his exho tour in South America with zverev in early December. He played an exhibition set against kyrgios in the rally for relief. But that was far from serious and doesn’t count at all. Also I consider his match against seppi in 2015 his worst.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Really not much to take away from this, as Steve was mostly just standing there contemplating his life choices. Federer looked almost too comfortable. It's hard to trust him to bring this kind of level every match for a fortnight. But we'll see. Maybe the next one will be more telling.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
No he didn’t play anything. He had his exho tour in South America with zverev in early December. He played an exhibition set against kyrgios in the rally for relief. But that was far from serious and doesn’t count at all. Also I consider his match against seppi in 2015 his worst.
He also played in Hangzhou on Dec 28/29 with Zverev

So not totally rusty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts