Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
wait... you propose they go back and forth in terms of who serves first within a set? How the hell would that work lol

If everyone holds their serve, whoever served first in set 1 will serve second in set 2. If you break to win the set you’ll serve first in the next.
what’s the issue exactly?
I didn't expect I'd need to explain this.

The issue is serving sets in a row, and constantly throughout the final set. In the final set, players should switch back and forth between being allowed to go infront with their serve. Not one player should constantly play from behind, creating unfair scoreboard pressure. Holding is easier than breaking, but it becomes a lot mentally harder when it's required to not lose the match.

"How the hell would that work lol" players serve twice straight. You couldn't come up with that? Lol

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
This bum did just enough work to get a 1st round paycheck, which accounts for more than 4-5 challengers.

Tomic playing 4d chess. Less work more play

·
9,496 Posts
I only saw linespeople for the center service line, but maybe I wasn’t paying close enough attention.
To me seemed only 1 at backs and 1 at each side. 4 in total.

·
Premium Member
9,177 Posts
Tomic was fighting harder here than some mugs I saw this week in Antalya, hopefully some renewed motivation for him to climb back in the Top 50.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
"How the hell would that work lol" players serve twice straight. You couldn't come up with that? Lol
I am glad this is picked up. I first came up with this idea around 8-10 years ago on here. Everyone laughed at me but this is the only solution to keep it fair. Basically like in a tiebreaker.

·
6,599 Posts
Fantastic in the end by Bernie.
Back in the main draw of the AO where he belongs.
@leng jai what are your thoughts on this victory , for Big Bernie?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
What an awful result for tennis, and humanity. I would assume JP Smith gets a WC to one of the Melbourne tournaments for his efforts though. 😎

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Smith was complaining about tons of calls towards the end of the third, but aren’t they all done with Hawkeye?
Maybe Tomic bribed Hawkeye?
I am glad this is picked up. I first came up with this idea around 8-10 years ago on here. Everyone laughed at me but this is the only solution to keep it fair. Basically like in a tiebreaker.
Why try to make it fair? What is the fun in that? Lets just award the entire match to whoever wins the last point and declare all the other points just the lead up..... oh .... hold on, they already to that.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

The issue is serving sets in a row, and constantly throughout the final set. In the final set, players should switch back and forth between being allowed to go infront with their serve. Not one player should constantly play from behind, creating unfair scoreboard pressure. Holding is easier than breaking, but it becomes a lot mentally harder when it's required to not lose the match.

[/QUOTE

My bad, I misunderstood initially, saw someone else post that it should work like tiebreaks, in that case I agree that doesn’t seem like a bad idea (for final set only)
But I don’t really think it’s actually a problem that needs solving, since there is already this balance/switching turns element in place, as I mentioned.
Wanna serve first in the final set? Afraid of the scoreboard pressure having to serve to stay in it? Then make sure to break (or at least don’t get broken for the set) at the end of the previous one. That also works, no?

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
My bad, I misunderstood initially, saw someone else post that it should work like tiebreaks, in that case I agree that doesn’t seem like a bad idea (for final set only)
But I don’t really think it’s actually a problem that needs solving, since there is already this balance/switching turns element in place, as I mentioned.
Wanna serve first in the final set? Afraid of the scoreboard pressure having to serve to stay in it? Then make sure to break (or at least don’t get broken for the set) at the end of the previous one. That also works, no?
Except if you fail at that, you need to do it all over again the next set, which isnt fair.

Why shouldnt the opponent be treated with equal pressure?

Thats not an actual solution you have.

You're just saying: it is how it is, just fight through it

And even in that logic, we know the opponent can more freely hit away when the result is the immediate set win.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Except if you fail at that, you need to do it all over again the next set, which isnt fair.

Why shouldnt the opponent be treated with equal pressure?

Thats not an actual solution you have.

You're just saying: it is how it is, just fight through it

And even in that logic, we know the opponent can more freely hit away when the result is the immediate set win.
“if you fail at that” - there’s the key

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Bernie being Bernie :D Found that article here: I don't actually know where those quotes are from or who he gave that interview though.

On Wednesday, Tomic prevailed in the qualifying round of the Australian Open against his compatriot John-Patrick Smith 6: 4, 5: 7, 7: 6 (7). "I'm in Doha, I risked my life, my health, Covid is there, many sick, with many things that can go wrong.

I risk my life and play and compete. Of course I want to get there
, " Tomic said after qualifying for the Australian Open, according to AAP. "Otherwise, I would hang up my rackets.

I don't need to play tennis anymore, I have enough money - why are you asking me this question? Don't ask such questions. "

Tomic more tired than ever
In each of his three qualifying matches, Tomic won the opening set, but his opponent forced a third set.

In the end, Tomic beat Jozef Kovalik, Tristan Schoolkate and John-Patrick Smith in three sets. "I'm very tired, more tired than happy to be honest. I've never been so tired and I've played a lot of tennis, " Tomic revealed.

"I'm not overly excited, but it's a good thing, it's nice, but I'm pretty bad physically. "JP is playing well and had nothing to lose. I was so bad physically that I couldn't make my shots.

" "You're the people who write the bad stuff about me. I qualified for a slam - what were you supposed to write? Tomic, who has not enjoyed a good reputation in the media in recent seasons, demanded some good things about his name.

"I don't think you guys have been fair to me in the last half decade [or] decade. You can spin it however you want, but don't escape the fact that I qualified for a slam.

"If you like me and are a fan of mine, write nicely." Asked if he could still win Wimbledon, Tomic said, "Probably not - given the level of players today, I'm not going to say I'm going to win Wimbledon.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts