Mens Tennis Forums banner

401 - 420 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Look Novak won, Tennis lost. One thing that is never mentioned in Novak's matches is the disgraceful nature of his supporters how they are so vocal during services affecting his opponents in the buildup and at crucial points it is a point of gamesmanship and unsportsmanlike conduct.

Medvedev lost his serve at 5-6 in the first and the set that was so close it should have went to a tiebreaker due to an error when a supporter called out. He then lost his serve for the first time in the second to give Novak the momentum when that huge vocal interchange happened during a point that even Novak motioned to his supporters to calm down.

Later in the third, the usually calm Medvedev was so upset with this stuff building he told the crowd to tone it down and was visibly annoyed in a direct conversation with the crowd. He should have had a word with the umpire much earlier who was terrible in dealing with this in my opinion during all the match saying "please" if that would do anything so many times instead of directly addressing the crowd.

Through the last set this built up with whistles just before and after the service strike and other noises disrupting Medvedev's service rhythm and mental composure even more, and his last service game to stay in the match, there were several noises during points of play as Novak's supporters willed him to the finish.

This is never mentioned by any commentators or even Novak himself. It is an absolute disgrace that his partisan supporters interfered in a match of great importance without being fair to the other player. The umpire only mentioned this fact in the third set directly.

The usual glowing reviews will come in for Novak who played well but this unseemingly factor should be brought to light as it is not an isolated factor in this one final by Novak's supporters. It sounded like Flushing Meadow today but even worse.

I would like to see a national newspaper really write about this dark side of the tennis world. Novak won as he "was" better, but the crowd was a disgrace and did prove a factor...
Federer’s fans are even worse. See USO 2015 and Wimbledon 2019 for examples.

·
Banned
499 Posts
Djokovic clearly use sandy tactics to win AO something Djokovic fans want cover up. He does this in every slam he plays which is why Nadal won sportsmanship award last season.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Are you aware Djokovic is better at Wimbledon than at the USO?

And Federer is basically as good on hard than on grass, he just had stronger competition on hard. At his peak he was dominating both surfaces equally, he lost to Safin at the AO and there was no one to beat him on grass until Nadal peaked, if not he'd have won every hard court slam in 2004-2007. Players like Safin, Agassi and Nalbandian that could outplay him from the baseline weren't as good on grass as they were on hard courts.
Don't be reasonable and sensical. Guy is clearly a brain dead troll.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I can see the narrative about "boring style", "less talented", "esthetically not pleasing" already started.

Don't be too sad, when all records are gone you will always have Stefan Edberg rewards.

·
Registered
11,007 Posts
Djoko and TOP3 remain kings of the tour.
incredible still..
a new generation that will pass without titles of GS?
alcaraz or sinner can get ready already ;)

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I thought this might be the case, djoker doing what he does best, win Australian Opens, but I was expecting better from Medvedev.
18th GS baby, 9th AO title and most HC slam titles as well! I am so happy, congrats djokovic what a tournament that was! I was sure he is not going to make with his issues in the middle of the open but he fought through this and delivered amazing tennis in the last 2 rounds, I am so proud of him, keep it up novak! After all the hardship from last year to finally win another slam is such a magical moment.
As expected, people now calling Medvedev a clown, mug, loser despite praising him just the last few days. Medvedev is a great player, he had great results and will have many great results in the future, the fact that he failed to deliver here doesn't take that from him.

Time to celebrate
One thing u can always bank on is that hypocrisy never lets us down on MTF.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Very good stuff from Djokovic, composed, focused and fantastic footwork.

Medvedev otoh was terrible, collapsed mentally. I feel like if he did beat Thiem at USO last year, (which he deserved much more) he could have put much bigger show here. AO should have been his second final, yet here he was a newbie major finals concerned

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

Incredible really. To play like that with a 25 mm tear is insane, well done to him honestly. How can he do it I wonder
Ever heard of the worldclass football player Arjen Robben? The guy played a world cup final in 2010 with the Netherlands against Spain despite having a much larger muscle tear in his leg. It was well reported and Bayern Munich his club wasn't happy at all.

Reactions: IBM

·
Administrator
9,551 Posts
Ever heard of the worldclass football player Arjen Robben? The guy played a world cup final in 2010 with the Netherlands against Spain despite having a much larger muscle tear in his leg. It was well reported and Bayern Munich his club wasn't happy at all.
That guy would have been one of the GOATs of football if not for his injuries, but I might be biased as Bayern fan. Already in his semi-invalid state one of the best players of our club history and in his prime only behind Messi/Ronaldo and Ribery.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
That guy would have been one of the GOATs of football if not for his injuries, but I might be biased as Bayern fan. Already in his semi-invalid state one of the best players of our club history and in his prime only behind Messi/Ronaldo and Ribery.
That's what I've been saying since his days with PSV and I'm a Feyenoord Rotterdam fan, such a shame he was so injury prone. Even his little come-back with FC Groningen didn't pan out because of injuries.

·
Administrator
9,551 Posts
That's what I've been saying since his days with PSV and I'm a Feyenoord Rotterdam fan, such a shame he was so injury prone. Even his little come-back with FC Groningen didn't pan out because of injuries.
I still hope he can play for a few matches once crowds can get in again. Even if it’s for a few minutes only. The term legend is used quite inflationary, but it fits to that guy.

Feyenoord fan? Damn, not the best times at the moment. @Joe Speedboot would like to have a word with you I guess

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I still hope he can play for a few matches once crowds can get in again. Even if it’s for a few minutes only. The term legend is used quite inflationary, but it fits to that guy.

Feyenoord fan? Damn, not the best times at the moment. @Joe Speedboot would like to have a word with you I guess
Yeah I hope so too because he's deserving of a real farewell and to me he's a legend - might be biased as a Dutchman, but still.

I'm kinda used to it, been a fan since I was 6 years old while my brother is an Ajax fan. Had waited for almost 20 years to be champions again in 2016/2017. I still have fond memories of the 2002 Uefa cup finals win against Dortmund, the last Dutch side to win a european cup so theres that.

Reactions: IBM

·
Registered
561 Posts
Very good stuff from Djokovic, composed, focused and fantastic footwork.

Medvedev otoh was terrible, collapsed mentally. I feel like if he did beat Thiem at USO last year, (which he deserved much more) he could have put much bigger show here. AO should have been his second final, yet here he was a newbie major finals concerned
AO was his second final. He lost to nadal in the final of USO 2019.

401 - 420 of 453 Posts