1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does this mean that the whole calendar is pushed back or is the extra week one of the Davis Cup weeks that get freed up with the new format?

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
It's not pushed back a week because of ATP cup.
ATP season is starting on January 6 in 2020 and 3rd-4th weeks are 20 January - 2 February.

·
Registered
671 Posts
ATP season is starting on January 6 in 2020 and 3rd-4th weeks are 20 January - 2 February.
Yeah, the real reasons the Australian Open is being pushed back in 2020 are 1) to allow Australia Day (1/26) to fall during the middle of the tournament and 2) to not have the first tournaments of the tennis season start 4 days after Christmas (with qualifying for those tournaments starting 2 days after Christmas).

·
Registered
878 Posts
Does this mean that the whole calendar is pushed back or is the extra week one of the Davis Cup weeks that get freed up with the new format?
The players left in the AO by then would probably not even be playing Davis Cup let alone qualifiers

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Yeah, the real reasons the Australian Open is being pushed back in 2020 are 1) to allow Australia Day (1/26) to fall during the middle of the tournament and 2) to not have the first tournaments of the tennis season start 4 days after Christmas (with qualifying for those tournaments starting 2 days after Christmas).
Are we sure about this? The last time tournaments were due to start on 30th Dec (in 2014) they did. And Brisbane even started one day earlier (29th Dec).

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I don't like the new dates.

We know that De Minaur or another Australian player will be playing on Australia Day 26/1

I don't see how the Davis Cup will survive now that ATP Cup has been introduced and new dates.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
It isn't uncommon that the AO ends on the 31th of January or the 1st of February so I see no problem here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts