Mens Tennis Forums banner

Australian Open 2020 qualifying discussion

8K views 107 replies 39 participants last post by  umbrellapub 
#1 ·
The draw is finally out and the musketeers will start fighting for that MD spot that gets you atleast 63K USD.

I will edit the draw here once I get readable one but you can see it here

Ruusuvuori is the most interesting one to me. He has got Mena as his first opponent followed by Darcis/Benchetrit. Things get harder after that as Zhizhen Zhang probably awaits. That could be good one.

Tomic is set to play Kudla-Ivashka-Sela if he wants to make the MD. Obviously could end up playing someone else if he gets that far - Sela is way behind his past.

Cant wait for it to start :cool:

#10 ·
Tough one for Kubler but not impossible. Should be favourite against Bachinger and Fabbiano is far from great even if he has got a few good wins during his career. All 3QR should be beatable too.

That being said I dont know where Kubler is with his game. Didnt play for 6 months? Knees again?

The 10th section has 3 Slovaks battling it out. Klizan is the obvious favourite to come out of that but I wouldnt be shocked to see him have a shocker.

Facundo Mena actually beat Ruusuvuori on hardcourts last season. Went out to win his maiden challenger title too - on clay that was.

#24 ·
I'll try to guess who's going to qualify

• Diez
  • Chung
  • Kwiatkowski
  • Ruusuvuori
  • Napolitano
  • Nagal
  • Tomic
  • Daniel
  • Maden
  • Klizan
  • Fabbiano
  • Martinez
  • Ebden
  • Hoang
  • Gulbis
  • Seyboth Wild
pisspoor draw, I browsed through the sections and haven't found a single match that I would like to watch
There's a game of that on the AO section of this forum that you could post it if you like

#29 ·
No big upsets so far - Ebden and Lacko the biggest names going out. Lenz goes out 6-0 6-1 against Pedro Martinez - imagine if he faced someone decent.

Not too many 'must see' -matches for tonight. Wish the Tomic/Kudla would start already but Bouchard and the chinese will probably play good 3 hours.

#30 ·
there is an air quality warning for the area. people are warned to stay inside, keep their pets inside. yet they are going ahead with the tennis . smart

they already had one player incident

i'm betting she wont be the last. this is just asking for lawsuits and deservedly so

#41 ·
Very much expected result. I have watched Rola quite a bit since last summer and he has to be one of most overranked players. Been playing like a #400 for a good while now. Hope he can get his shit together because he used to be quite decent.

Ramanathan going out against Coria is a surprise. Ramanathan was playing decent against Ruusuvuori last week. Have I ever seen Coria play on hardcourt? I dont think so.

Klizan getting destroyed by Krstin probably the biggest surprise of the day. Klizan was playing challengers last week so would think he was looking to be serious here. Didnt see any of it so dont know what was going on though.

Now with Klizan and Lacko out of that section - it means someone is going to make a maiden AO MD appearance! :cool: Thats good. Gombos, Marcora, Ferreira Silva and Krstin will fight for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.