Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would be a good idea to open this thread to keep track on the Aussies playing in ATP events. Hopefully we can bring the Aussie player forum some life as its pretty dead around here.

Bastad

Round 1: (8) John Millman Vs Guido Andreozzi

Newport

QR1: John Patrick Smith Vs (1) Marcelo Arevalo
QR1: (5) Bernard Tomic Vs Austin Krajicek
QR1: (8) Alex Bolt Vs Frank Dancevic

Round 1: James Duckworth Vs Jordan Thompson
Round 1 (7) Alex De Minaur Vs Ivo Karlovic
Matt Ebden is seeded 4 and has a bye in the first round and will take on Frantangelo/Smyczek in the second round.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Good idea Chris to bring this back to life! If Jordan Thompson does not win this round 1 he is in grave danger of falling well out of the top 100 anytime soon. I wonder if Matt Ebden could be seeded by New York time??

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tomic and Bol both qualify. Bolt takes on Christian Harrison, Tomic got Dudi Sela. Also Thompson beat Duckworth 6-4 6-3.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Disaster in Newport with all three losing in three sets...de Minaur holding a match point to boot! This was a great opportunity for each of Bolt, Tomic and de Minaur. Let's hope that Jordan and Matt can do better in their round 2 matches.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wonder if Matt Ebden could be seeded by New York time??
Not unless he wins Newport and probably another tournament on the way through! Don't forget that 162 points fall off his ranking this week from last year's Newport final, and he also has 32 from Los Cabos to defend.

But Australia's ATP stocks seem at healthier levels at the moment than for quite some time, so it is an opportune time to start this thread.

I know lower cutoffs apply in these early NA swing events, but it's good to see Kyrgios, Ebden, Millman, De Minaur, Thompson and even Duckworth with his PR popping up all over. Bolt and Tomic are doing well at qualie level; and I really, really hope that Jason Kubler can keep winning enough to bridge the gap to the Top 100 so we may even see him at tour level by the time the Asian swing comes around.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Kokkinakis & Bolt both got through qualies in Atlanta. Tomic bombed in QR1 though to Tommy Paul which is a bit concerning considering he even managed to beat Paul in January.

Really hope Kubler, Bolt, Tomic & Kokkinakis can be in the top 100 at the end of the year (as well as Thompson). Popyrin could push for top 200 as well imo. And as for Duckworth, I just hope he starts winning again. Top 300 would be a good target I think. Same goes for Mitchell, Barton & O'Connell if they can find some form again (and play regularly) as well. And who even knows what is happening with Jasika...

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Atlanta:

Round 1: De Minaur Vs (LL) Hurkacz 1-6 7-6(0) 7-6(5)

Round 2: De Minaur Vs (1) Isner

Round 1: (8) Harrison Vs (PR) Duckworth
Round 1: (Q) Kokkinakis Vs (Q) Rubin
Round 1 (Q) Bolt vs Baghdatis

Kokkinakis should get the job done against Rubin. I give Bolt a sneaky chance. Cant see Duckworth winning tbh.

John Millman is playing Hamburg and take on Jan-Lennard Stuff in the first round tonight.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Kokkinakis & Bolt both got through qualies in Atlanta. Tomic bombed in QR1 though to Tommy Paul which is a bit concerning considering he even managed to beat Paul in January.

Really hope Kubler, Bolt, Tomic & Kokkinakis can be in the top 100 at the end of the year (as well as Thompson). Popyrin could push for top 200 as well imo. And as for Duckworth, I just hope he starts winning again. Top 300 would be a good target I think. Same goes for Mitchell, Barton & O'Connell if they can find some form again (and play regularly) as well. And who even knows what is happening with Jasika...
I was wondering the same thing.

ITF decision handed down on Aug 31, a positive test for cocaine.

He's banned until March 2020.

https://www.sportsradio.com.au/aussie-tennis-star-cops-drug-ban/

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I wonder when the TIU is going to render it's decision on Oliver Anderson.

He's been suspended since Feb 9, 2017 and after criminal proceedings against him were completed, the TIU announced they were opening their disciplinary case against him on May 23, 2017.

Almost 16 months and counting to render a decision on whether he's got a potential lifetime ban from the sport.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Not technically an ATP event, but I am glad to see that the slams are sticking to 32 seeds next year. Kyrgios, Millman & De Minaur are all in with very realistic chances of being seeded at this coming AO, and Ebden is an outside chance as well if he can string together some good runs between now and the start of Sydney.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wonder when the TIU is going to render it's decision on Oliver Anderson.

He's been suspended since Feb 9, 2017 and after criminal proceedings against him were completed, the TIU announced they were opening their disciplinary case against him on May 23, 2017.

Almost 16 months and counting to render a decision on whether he's got a potential lifetime ban from the sport.
He is free to play as of one week ago

Former Australian Open junior champion Oliver Anderson can resume tennis career after match fixing suspension - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Is anybody able to read this article: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/kubler-puts-knee-concerns-aside-for-brisbane-international-return/news-story/e9f72d45fefc9bd8f02a979a953a7d22

No matter what I do I can't get past the paywall, and I even bought the paper and it wasn't in today's edition.

The little description said: "Queensland tennis player Jason Kubler hopes his knees will let him play his first - and probably last - Brisbane International main-draw tournament since 2010."

The "and probably last" part was what piqued my interest - is Jason thinking of retiring? :scared:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
here's the full article

Kubler puts knee concerns aside for Brisbane International return
Paul Malone, The Sunday Mail (Qld)

Queensland tennis player Jason Kubler hopes his knees will let him play his first - and probably last - Brisbane International main-draw tournament before a crowd including his mother Lyn.

Kubler will test the recovery of his sore knee at an extended Davis Cup squad training camp at the Queensland Tennis Centre later this week.

The 25-year-old, who has had six knee surgeries, has not played a Brisbane International since 2010 because of fears of further injury from hardcourt matches.

Kubler rose to No.114 this year but has not played since mid-October due to knee pain which has seen him resort to two injections earlier this month.

“The week after next is when we’ll start to decide if I can go after more on-court work, but my goal is to play Brisbane qualifying, which starts on December 30,’’ he said.

“It could be the last time Brisbane will have an ATP tournament (before the men’s event is scrapped to make way for the ATP Cup teams event from 2020) so I 100 per cent want to play in the main draw.

“I played it last when I was 16 and I got smashed in qualifying.

“I’m not fussed if I don’t get a wildcard (into Brisbane from Tennis Australia). I’d play qualifying happily, just to experience it, because who knows – I’ve had the mindset that my knee could start playing up again. It could happen next month, or a year, or in five or 10 years’ time. If this is the last time I will play an ATP tournament in Brisbane, my mum has to come.

“I get a little nervous, playing in front of her, but if I play it I’ll be happy.’’

Lyn Kubler worked to support her three children as a single mum after the death to cancer of Jason’s father 17 years ago.

Kubler earned $380,487 in prizemoney in a rousing 2018 season, more than half of his career earnings in eight years as a professional player marred by six knee surgeries.

The third-ranked Queensland man, who is the highest-ranked Australian without direct entry to the Australian Open, is more optimistic about playing in the January circuit than he had been last month

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/kubler-puts-knee-concerns-aside-for-brisbane-international-return/news-story/e9f72d45fefc9bd8f02a979a953a7d22

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
^Me gusta

WC Playoff
1. [159] Alex Bolt (SA)
2. [200] John-Patrick Smith (Qld)
3. [245] James Duckworth (NSW)
4. [265] Maverick Banes (Qld)
5. [289] Max Purcell (NSW)
6. [334] Akira Santillan (Qld)
7. [421] Andrew Harris (Vic)
8. [427] Dayne Kelly (Vic)
9. [452] Jacob Grills (Vic)
10. [455] Bradley Mousley (SA)
11. [459] Blake Ellis (Qld)
12. [467] Jeremy Beale (Vic)
13. [470 PR] Christopher O’Connell (NSW)
14. [477] Luke Saville (SA)
15. [489] Aleksandar Vukic (NSW)
16. [1746] Rinky Hijikata (NSW)

A little surprised/annoyed that none of Polmans, Popyrin or Kokkinakis entered.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
^Me gusta

WC Playoff
1. [159] Alex Bolt (SA)
2. [200] John-Patrick Smith (Qld)
3. [245] James Duckworth (NSW)
4. [265] Maverick Banes (Qld)
5. [289] Max Purcell (NSW)
6. [334] Akira Santillan (Qld)
7. [421] Andrew Harris (Vic)
8. [427] Dayne Kelly (Vic)
9. [452] Jacob Grills (Vic)
10. [455] Bradley Mousley (SA)
11. [459] Blake Ellis (Qld)
12. [467] Jeremy Beale (Vic)
13. [470 PR] Christopher O’Connell (NSW)
14. [477] Luke Saville (SA)
15. [489] Aleksandar Vukic (NSW)
16. [1746] Rinky Hijikata (NSW)

A little surprised/annoyed that none of Polmans, Popyrin or Kokkinakis entered.
Si Muy Feliz!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah bit surprised! but maybe they prefer to train instead of this (JP Smith did the same last year)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts