Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bottom half all three night matches featured Mark Philippoussis

Is this to make Andre, Ferrero et all cook under the baking sun so when they get to later stages they are pretty drained ???

Wondering if we will see Marat or Roger as the night match on the Saturday

I pretty much doubt it (could have happened if Marat played Krajicek)

or am i just being paranoid into thinking some conspiracy theory ??

Trying Anything for a Potato win aren't they :p

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Its a bit weird that Mark keeps getting the night match. I think last year they had more variety in the night matches, maybe coz the Aussies went out early.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
I want Marat to play the night match. I wanna see a fried potatoe. He needs some time in the sun too.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
On the bright side, at least they are doing this with Mark and not Hewitt :)

And it's not as if Andre or Ferrero have been spending too long on court so far.

That said, yes, it's "fishy", but could be worse.

·
SammySammySammy OiOiOi
12,534 Posts
It's probably because the evening slot is not only well attended in Melbourne, but also prime time TV here and believe me a LOT of Australians seem to be tuning in for the Mark and Lleyton evening shows.

Good conspiracy theory though, I like it!

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
[email protected]!! for a mo there i thought you were implying that the Aussies were conspiring to help Sushi win a Slam :eek: and i was like what the heck...? except i didn't say "heck" of course...;)

heck, i don't care how much they help out the Scud, he still ain't gonna win this. i just don't see it...;) ;)

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Number1Kim said:
It's probably because the evening slot is not only well attended in Melbourne, but also prime time TV here and believe me a LOT of Australians seem to be tuning in for the Mark and Lleyton evening shows.

Good conspiracy theory though, I like it!
Also, the afternoon in Sydney is night time, i.e. TV (not exactly but slightly off) prime time in US, so the US players esp. Agassi & Williams sisters will have the afternoon. When the night session starts, most people in US are well asleep.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It backfired...Mark lost!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
So the Potato gets the night match again.

I guess even the Aussies don't cherish the possibility of having fried chicken legs for lunch :D

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Andre has done so well at this tournament in the past. I can't see the heat being a problem for him...and no new outside court matches are started @ over 35 degrees, so no-one fries

·
Registered
326 Posts
This is nothing new, it's been happening for years.

It has to do with:

1/. Giving players a better chance
2/. Scheduling and ticket sales
3/. Ratings (most Australians work during the day and miss out most of the action but can watch the night matches, and I guess they prefer to watch their own).

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Eggy, Hewitt doesn't need any help to win. He's clearly the best player in men's tennis and the only men's tennis player who shows up to play every match. Now I'm not a fan of Lleyton's, but I have no problem giving him the respect he deserves. Hewitt is the last player who needs any scheduling help to win a grand slam tournament.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
everyone needs help in winning, doesn't matter if you're the best or not.

Schedules make a massive difference, look at last years final, an extra day made a huge diff.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
True. But Marat still should have been okay with a day off after his semifinal match. But to the surprise of many, he was outserved by Thomas Johansson in the 2002 Australaian Open final. And that may very well have been the difference.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The scheduling people are probably hoping that Lleyton will get to the semis so they can give him the twilight night match. Think about it- the match is already sold out and they will have that many people again in Garden Square

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Out of curiosity -

Now we know the Aussie's do it, the Brits do it, the Americans do it -

Do the French help their players out at RG in the same fashion?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts