Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm wishing there can be a tournament specific thread sooner.... ;) but seen as though tickets are selling in a couple of days time...

hrm... I'm a little concerned about these new indoor courts for practice.... :rolleyes:

http://www.australianopen.com/pages/article.aspx?id=15&articleid=ArticleID2005926115812&pageId=140&HandlerId=1

Australian Open 2006 - Bring It On!

‘Bring It On!’ was the message at the launch today of Australian Open 2006, with the eagerly anticipated tickets for the Grand Slam tournament going on sale on Thursday 29 September.

Patrons in 2006 will benefit from a multi-million dollar redevelopment of the Melbourne Park site which will take spectator access and comfort to new heights at this international sporting festival.

Among the major improvements will be the replacement and upgrading of all 15,000 seats in Rod Laver Arena in a $3.3 million refurbishment of the main Arena by the venue’s operators, Melbourne & Olympics Parks Trust.
Other major upgrades include the construction of a new City Entrance which patrons will access along the Australian Open Champions Walk which celebrates the rich history of the Grand Slam tournament at Melbourne Park.
Players will be able to utilise the new Indoor Hall on the site which will be used during the tournament for practice and stretching, with the changing rooms near the existing indoor courts also being upgraded.

“The Australian Open Centenary in 2005 raised the bar to new levels of excitement and entertainment at the Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific,” said Tennis Australia President, Geoff Pollard.

“Thanks to investment by Tennis Australia, and a multi-million dollar investment by Melbourne & Olympic Parks Trust, 2006 promises to make that experience even better for the hundreds of thousands of patrons who come along each year to enjoy this two week festival of colour, music and great tennis.

“If you enjoyed 2005, you’re going to love Australian Open 2006,” said Pollard.

Over 500 of the sport’s top players will converge on Melbourne Park in Janaury to vie for the prestigious title of Grand Slam champion and a record prizepool of AUD$19.3 million – one of the biggest in world sport – with the men’s and women’s winners picking up AUD$1,220,000 each.

Sunday evening on the middle weekend will see the introduction of a new night session giving visitors another reason to attend the tennis on this hugely popular weekend which last year set a world record for a tennis event with over 60,000 visitors through the gates on the Saturday.

Back will be the prime time night final for the men’s singles which proved a hugely successful introduction in 2005, attracting the largest TV audience in Australia since the Sydney Olympics in 2000. Also returning will be the night feature matches on Margaret Court Arena on the first six evenings for Ground Pass ticket holders.

And adding to the entertainment for visitors will be some of Australia’s top bands performing on stage in Garden Square in the break between the day and night sessions which proved an additional drawcard for fans looking for a great day out when introduced during the Centenary last year.

Feature concerts will also be held on the final weekend - following the women’s singles final on the Saturday, and prior to the start of men’s night final on the Sunday.

(I won't post the whole article, it's way too long... just click the link above)

B

·
0 Posts
Re: Aussie Open 2006..... "Bring it on?" (??)

I'm not going next year :sobbing:

·
Banned
873 Posts

Why isn't Federer on the poster? Surely you could have stuck his head in there somewhere... he's the best in the world

Reactions: jole

·
Registered
2,278 Posts

yeah... the ad campaign for tickets has started too.
im looking forward to going... and working there next year!

·
Banned
19,258 Posts

Cause he was not in the finals or the winner, Molik is on cause she's aussi.

·
Banned
19,258 Posts

Why is there not a countdown like last year?:sad:

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts

I'm not the only one wondering where these extra courts are supposed to go, right?
I mean, I know they have the 4 existing courts inside (behind that little fan-zone / racquet tent area) but where might the others go. Hmm... curious.

Don't worry too much. Like me, you like the slightly crappier players, and I guess these courts will prob go to the likes of Federer/Hewitt etc...if they're not training off-site. Who knows. Not long to go! I've even started fixing up the contents of the "Aussie Tournaments" msn site :lol:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Bjorkman_Girl said:
Don't worry too much. Like me, you like the slightly crappier players, and I guess these courts will prob go to the likes of Federer/Hewitt etc...if they're not training off-site. Who knows. Not long to go! I've even started fixing up the contents of the "Aussie Tournaments" msn site :lol:

You have a point there. :p but if all the players people want to see are practicising indoors..... all the others who normally don't get as much attention, will be mobbed. Well, not "mobbed" - but some distractions are needed!

·
Banned
873 Posts

I just read that this year's Australian Open Final between Safin & Hewitt was the highest rating television program in Australia this year, out of every program!
Just goes to show there are so many tennis fans out there, yet so little free to air tennis on :sad:
Even the French Open and most of the US Open were not even on free to air. Good to see ABC stepping up with their weekly highlights though, even if they are quite old now.

Reactions: El Legenda

·
Registered
486 Posts

I am waiting for the tournaments in Europe when I can get to the easily.
Such as the French and Wimbledon also Queens, I really enjoy Queen's.

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts

*~kat said:
You have a point there. :p but if all the players people want to see are practicising indoors..... all the others who normally don't get as much attention, will be mobbed. Well, not "mobbed" - but some distractions are needed!
Ahh yeah! Like in Adelaide, when Lleyton or Reid or some Aussie I don't support, was signing autographs, and the other 50 people at the tournament went to do the fanfest thing! :lol: I ♥ Adelaide! Must try the noodles this year, and maybe they will sell what they advertise at the tournament! It may not be wimbledon, but eating strawberries at a tennis event is just SO classy :tape:

·
Registered
7,913 Posts

ohhh this is making me excited!!!

this year i saw some random players at the inside courts too so i don't think they're only reserved for top players...that sucks for spectators though

·
Registered
2,490 Posts

With Serena and Safin, it's "Bring it on to the hospital !" ;)

·
Registered
7,460 Posts

too early to start this thread... but whatever.... bring it on

·
Registered
985 Posts

i agree a little too early to start this thread-------but you know yeh bring it on.

Reactions: ae wowww

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts

Rex, you left one of my favourites out of your signature. His name is Nieminen.

There is a little hype (well, for us fans, and for everyone who received the brochure recently, giving information on ticket prices) so this will probably last a little while and die down again in a big way, when the TMS' are on.

And *~Kat, I agree with your LJ comment...it would be just marvellous if the Adelaide list could come out earlier :lol: then again, those people think PimPim is going, so they might be useless :) :wavey: bed time for me!

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts

Not at all too early to start... Don't be stupid !

·
Registered
4,189 Posts

Bjorkman_Girl said:
Ahh yeah! Like in Adelaide, when Lleyton or Reid or some Aussie I don't support, was signing autographs, and the other 50 people at the tournament went to do the fanfest thing! :lol: I ♥ Adelaide! Must try the noodles this year, and maybe they will sell what they advertise at the tournament! It may not be wimbledon, but eating strawberries at a tennis event is just SO classy :tape:
i love adelaide. i've been missing it. i won't miss melbourne much. there are too many people in melbourne, and too much walking to do, for my aging bones :lol: besides like you guys are saying, they are hiding too many players in practice courts which are not publicly accessible.

i'll be waiting for entry lists to come out :)

btw the sydney tournament has sent out forms for reserving seats too. but i never bother with those because you can't choose seats using those forms. and it isn't like sydney tickets sell as fast as melbourne's. and oh, i'm going to refuse their offer for the privilege of volunteering 6 shifts of my precious time too, lol

·
Registered
7,913 Posts

well for some ppl it may be too early...but since we get like no tennis in aus, it is exciting when aus open stuff finally starts to resurrect itself again

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

even if she's aussie, molik's not deserving to be in that poster...

i agree if fed's not there, but it should be the last year's finalists at least.... not molik... ugh!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts