Mens Tennis Forums banner
321 - 340 of 345 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
The fact you're using a highlight reel to assess with rally backhand just says it all.
No, you're right. He doesn't have a good enough rally ball. Most people haven't played this sport here to a good enough level to know what you mean by 'rally-ball', so don't worry. ;)

·
Your visions will happen
54,705 Posts
He's a world top 15 player, obviously there was never going to be anything wrong with it technically. :rolleyes:

Is it good enough though? In-terms of a 'rally-ball'? When going toe to toe with top players from the back-of-the-court and being required to play backhands, does he stand his ground? The answer is clearly no. Backhand to backhand against Murray, he loses out and drastically. It doesn't have enough depth/length on it and as a result it allows guys like Murray, Djokovic and company to step up into the middle of the court and take control of the point. :)
This is more about foot work with Dimitrov

Grigor seems to be more interested in making the shot look dramatic and pretty, and while sliding etc. that he does not think of what to do with the ball. Many many times his approach to the ball was with the sole intention of making it look good, which it did, but tactically it went right to where Murray was.

On the backhand in particular, he seems to focus more on how theatric he can make it look as opposed to stepping it and taking aggression. Of course much credit needs to be given to Murray, he played great all through. Dimitrov hit several nice BH, but not enough really.

To me it all stemmed from the serve for Grigor. Very defensive in the biggest moments, and it filtered to the rest of his game. It is to Rasheed's credit that fitness got him a set and almost 2

·
Registered
22,985 Posts
Dimitrov looked pretty good overall, he really served well on breakpoints usually, saving a huge number of them. He had some lapses yes, but over all Murray was too good today, he was serving well, returning great, and he simply is more consistent off the ground than Dimitrov is. One thing was Andy's passing shot was off and he continued with his standard break yourself once a set habit, but he was still a class above.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
He can serve harder now. Against Baghdatis he pulled a 230 kmh serve and was very often in the 210s. Here he decided to lower the speed on many important points to avoid a mistake and played right into Murray's hands.

Another thing: Wimby is grass. Here it's bouncy as hell which is good for Murray. And even though 69% is not bad, he should aim for more. A good slice serve on slow hard is a must too.

All of the above are things that if property worked on will make his chances much better. And they didn't even need to be that much better today. :)
mate, aggainst Baggy - 186kph average first serve speed, 63% in.
against Murray - 193kph average, 69% in.

Grigor served more than decent, Murray returned insane.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
The fact you're using a highlight reel to assess his rally backhand just says it all.
find me one highlight reel in which his BH is featured more often

end of conversation, just too many facts against way too much useless one liner sarcasm.

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
Nah I lost because you used the “end of story" move.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
mate, aggainst Baggy - 186kph average first serve speed, 63% in.
against Murray - 193kph average, 69% in.

Grigor served more than decent, Murray returned insane.
Murray was reading his serves like crazy.
More variety, better placement are needed.
Murray is just better. Dimitrov played his heart out.
Murray loves these courts, they suit him alright.

·
Bring it Home
21,626 Posts
This match was pretty similar to Acapulco, both players used same tactics, this time Murray won the close contest.

No big deal.

Hopefully Dimitrov can use more variety in his serve in the future though. No idea why he basicallay abandoned the slice serve in this match.

And yeah, like Clutch said, this is a 50-50 matchup really, although grass will always suits Grigor better and hard will favor Murray. I wonder what would happen on clay, hopefully we can see this season.

·
Premium Member
29,772 Posts
find me one highlight reel in which his BH is featured more often

end of conversation, just too many facts against way too much useless one liner sarcasm.
Wtf kind of argument is that :confused: Leng Jai is right, a 10 minute highlight reels of a 4 set match is worthless when it comes to evaluating the level of a rally shot.

Also his one-liners are hilarious and most of the time they hit the nail on the head.

·
Banned
3,862 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
fake fed exposed, yet again, for the fraud that he is. well done, murph :drink:

Reactions: Mateya

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Yeah, you're right that the Murray forehand will most often not test your backhand as much as a more powerful one (i.e. large part of the tour) would
It's not that simple though. Murray's up-the-line FH was pedestrian, per usual, but most would agree that he was hitting the inside-out with quite a bit of sting.

More importantly was the point-construction, as Andy often made Dimitrov play his BH on the stretch. This, in conjunction with the fact that neither guy seemed willing to give an inch at the baseline meant that the Bulgarian seldom had time to step in and do anything meaningful with his BH.

TBH, as much as Grigor's more aggressive approach was a welcomed tactic here, he probably would have benefited if, on the BH side, he were willing to give up some ground and give himself more time, like he's done on clay especially.

That said, the fact that both guys were so committed to taking the ball early is part of what made the match so enjoyable, imo.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
i believe the "better player" talk is another misconception in here about this match.

It was an obvious 50-50 match and without the bad calls and a couple luck moments, all going against Dimitrov, this was going into a 5th set and there we would have seen who is the better player in the match, without me suggesting Dimitrov was. The 5th setter could have gone Murray's way easily, except if the 4th finished 6-2 and Grigor on serve in the 5th, which might have very well happened, if the blind idiot of a linesman didn't call out a ball he didn't actually see with his eyes. Probably the first rule in their business - if you didn't see it - dont call it, they have hawkeye for that...

That passing shot of Murray at *3-1. 30-30 in first set, that clips both the net cord and the line was brilliant, yet extremely lucky. He doesn't make it - set is very well going to Dimitrov, eventually.

Second set - they broke each other twice each, the TB was the obvious separator for whom wins it, considering they were totally on par. Grigor played an amazing TB and deserved it hands down.

3rd set - Andy gets away at 3-3, Grigor fails to do the same at 3-4 and it goes Andy's way, deserved.

4th set - Dimitrov all over, until the bad call, which instead of giving him a crucial second SP, gets hims serving for the set, a moment in which you have your opponent at its peak of concentration, while you have all the pressure on you. Besides - the most service games lost are always after you were very close breaking, but finally couldn't. It was inevitable in my book.

Then a moronic lines call, a moronic reaction of your opponent gets you shocked, unable to believe such blatant injustice is even possible and it happens at 0-15, instead of 15all, 0-30...no one could brush this off on the spot, it inevitably lingers for a couple minutes, enough time to concede.

Then the net cord at 40-30 was just...what can you say, it just finishes the match off, giving you no chance, at the very moment you are emotionally back and want to fight your heart out..

Nothing went Grigor's way today, but at least he fought as much as he possibly could and didn't start crying like a baby at the end. I would have. I would still be...it was so cruel.

But life goes on. All match i was saying Murray is a sure finalist if he wins this, but after that moment at 5-5 i'm reconsidering...he used all the credits of his humanitarian, gay loving, women rights supporting, animals on the road saving theater and karma will get back to him inevitably.
ANDY MURRAY: Well, I won quite a long game at 5-2 on my serve, and often, you know, if I win that game to love the momentum doesn't really change. But sometimes if you can have sort of a long game, you know, where maybe he feels like he had some opportunities to win the set there, then that game where he goes to serve it out becomes a little bit harder. And, yeah, I think that that maybe helped. Yeah, that's really all I could think of. But he didn't play a good game at 5-3, and then after that, I barely made an error really. From really 5-3, I didn't make any mistakes at all.
yep.

That's about how freakishly important that bad call not giving Grigor his second SP in that game was.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Murray was reading his serves like crazy.
More variety, better placement are needed.
Murray is just better. Dimitrov played his heart out.
Murray loves these courts, they suit him alright.
This.

Murray was devouring those second serves, stepping in and taking them really early with his BH. Murray's a good enough returner anyway but when you're tapping it mid service box again and again you're going to lose a lot of service games. Which he did.

321 - 340 of 345 Posts