Mens Tennis Forums banner
301 - 320 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
so i thought, but this time i'm wrong :shrug:
Yeah, lets bet like you and say his most obvious flaw is absolutely fine and not affecting his results at all.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Call Eurosport right away. They will hire you in an instant as their chief tennis expert after you present them with that spectacular analysis of yours. For real.
humor: 6/10.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Yeah, lets bet like you and say his most obvious flaw is absolutely fine and not affecting his results at all.
no, better just repeat the same thing over and over again, despite it's obviously improving.

Or better - Dimitrov needs to make his serve as Isner's, his BH as Djokovic and return as Murray if he wants to be a multi slam winner.

That's deep and useful, indeed..

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
no, better just repeat the same thing over and over again, despite it's obviously improving.

Or better - Dimitrov needs to make his serve as Isner's, his BH as Djokovic and return as Murray if he wants to be a multi slam winner.

That's deep and useful, indeed..
Please highlight the obvious improvement in his backhand, because I'm not seeing it. Your usual deflection and being deliberately obtuse is very deep and useful also.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Please highlight the obvious improvement in his backhand, because I'm not seeing it. Your usual deflection and being deliberately obtuse is very deep and useful also.
Lol. You are being stubbornly obtuse (or the other way around). Of course there is an improvement. Is it enough? - Not yet. His serve was his main liability today, not his backhand.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
Lol. You are being stubbornly obtuse (or the other way around). Of course there is an improvement. Is it enough? - Not yet. His serve was his main liability today, not his backhand.
Where's the obvious improvement? He still has the same core issues with it from when he started. The improvement in that part of his game is coming at a snail's pace. The rest of his game I can see being obviously better than it was - fitness, defence and volleying all much better than at the beginning.

Murray nullifies everyone's serve, that's his biggest strength. It's hardly surprising that Dimitrov serve wasn't holding all his service games for him.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Where's the obvious improvement? He still has the same core issues with it from when he started. The improvement in that part of his game is coming at a snail's pace. The rest of his game I can see being obviously better than it was - fitness, defence and volleying all much better than at the beginning.

Murray nullifies everyone's serve, that's his biggest strength. It's hardly surprising that Dimitrov serve wasn't holding all his service games for him.
Snail's pace or not (actually not) but it is there. He was much more aggressive with his BH today. DTL or cross court, it had much better depth and pace and was generally keeping Murray in check.

The SHBH is not an easy shot to be aggressive with. It takes a lot of confidence to pull it out consistently and imo he is headed in the right direction with that part of his game.

The serve he is not confident in though. Murray may be a good returner but he was so effective today mainly because Grigor was not serving as hard as he can. If he gains more confidence in his serve, coupled with a bit more variety, things will be much more difficult for any opponent.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts

made less mistakes, played more top spin ones, which is different than what was the case before.

Before he would go for the slices after the maximum second shot toward his BH, now he was in 3, 4, 5 consecutive shots against one of the best BHs, often managed to make Murray play unperfect BHs, allowing Grigor to turn around it and play FHs.

It's among his top 3 matches in terms of BH quality.

Even the several times more DTL attempts with low number of mistakes, a few winners as well.

His BH was at its best possible. Not enough ofc, it would be much better if it was as Wawrinka's, but i will leave that to the majority to repeat to oblivion..

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
his bh was lending at half of the service line distance and he was running around his bh numerous times. it just wasn't a convincing shot at all.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Snail's pace or not (actually not) but it is there. He was much more aggressive with his BH today. DTL or cross court, it had much better depth and pace and was generally keeping Murray in check.

The SHBH is not an easy shot to be aggressive with. It takes a lot of confidence to pull it out consistently and imo he is headed in the right direction with that part of his game.

The serve he is not confident in though. Murray may be a good returner but he was so effective today mainly because Grigor was not serving as hard as he can. If he gains more confidence in his serve, coupled with a bit more variety, things will be much more difficult for any opponent.
He was serving way above average. At Wimby he served 63%, here 69%, at Wimby average speed 194, here 193.

It's all about the opponent, not his serve. He served great.

Acapulco - also prime serving, 69%, only 5 aces again, but a solid 79% points won behind the first serve.

Today - 67%. To me it was very much about Murray's awesome returning.

It might be hard to catch, but this was an amazing returning day for the Brit, not his average one.

Not that he made too many winners off, but constantly deep, positive returns, that put the opponent on par in the rally, which against 69% at 193kph is huge. Like really huge.

·
Premium Member
29,772 Posts
Someone should make a youtube video comprising all the Murray forehand to Dimitrov backhand rallies in the match. Surely a sterling advertisement of the sport.
Glad that Uncle finally arrived to provide his unbiased insight on a Dimitrov match. I'm off to the optometrist.
the more i'm watching, the more i can see no problem with Dimitrov's BH at all.
The more I'm reading, the more I see that you're definitely my uncle.
:spit: :rolls: I'm dying over here

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
his bh was lending at half of the service line distance and he was running around his bh numerous times. it just wasn't a convincing shot at all.
how do you do that in the real world?

You play a short, easy to handle BH and then the top player offers you an even weaker for you to turn around it? i don't get it :confused:

there is a highlight reel few pages back, Sham posted it, please see it and compare the impressions with the reality.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
He was serving way above average. At Wimby he served 63%, here 69%, at Wimby average speed 194, here 193.

It's all about the opponent, not his serve. He served great.

Acapulco - also prime serving, 69%, only 5 aces again, but a solid 79% points won behind the first serve.

Today - 67%. To me it was very much about Murray's awesome returning.

It might be hard to catch, but this was an amazing returning day for the Brit, not his average one.

Not that he made too many winners off, but constantly deep, positive returns, that put the opponent on par in the rally, which against 69% at 193kph is huge. Like really huge.
He can serve harder now. Against Baghdatis he pulled a 230 kmh serve and was very often in the 210s. Here he decided to lower the speed on many important points to avoid a mistake and played right into Murray's hands.

Another thing: Wimby is grass. Here it's bouncy as hell which is good for Murray. And even though 69% is not bad, he should aim for more. A good slice serve on slow hard is a must too.

All of the above are things that if property worked on will make his chances much better. And they didn't even need to be that much better today. :)

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Forgot how high in quality this match was. Hard to appreciate it when you're punching a tv screen telling a Scot to get his ass in gear.

Highlights-

And yet you have people on here claiming this match was shite with a poor level from both. Which suggests that they either didn't watch the match or are simply clueless.

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
how do you do that in the real world?

You play a short, easy to handle BH and then the top player offers you an even weaker for you to turn around it? i don't get it :confused:

there is a highlight reel few pages back, Sham posted it, please see it and compare the impressions with the reality.
The fact you're using a highlight reel to assess his rally backhand just says it all.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
Nothing wrong with Dimitrov's BH technically
He's a world top 15 player, obviously there was never going to be anything wrong with it technically. :rolleyes:

Is it good enough though? In-terms of a 'rally-ball'? When going toe to toe with top players from the back-of-the-court and being required to play backhands, does he stand his ground? The answer is clearly no. Backhand to backhand against Murray, he loses out and drastically. It doesn't have enough depth/length on it and as a result it allows guys like Murray, Djokovic and company to step up into the middle of the court and take control of the point. :)

301 - 320 of 345 Posts