Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An expected result and a match between fellow Canucks might seem like a yawn. But many great points and Vasek is a very good player.
But what struck me the most was the confidence Shapo exudes at the moment. He's on top, he knows it and it's palpable. It's mid-January and he's won every match except one vs Demon (which he really should have won) against massive crowd support for DM and one narrow loss against Djokovic (again against massive crowd support for the Serb).
He is playing great tennis. I'm not a betting man but I think 2020 will bring him into top 10 (low odds on that) and he will start to seriously contend for major titles in 2021. Unless something very unexpected like an injury happens I see him winning multiple slams. Not this year, not just yet. But he will. Tsitsipas will probably be his main rival. Med and Zverev are frankly too tall for tennis longevity. Above 1.95 you have an advantage as long as you can move like players of lesser stature. But as history proves, you can't keep that up for too long, especially if you're not a pure servebot like Isner or Opelka. Mastering an all court game at 1.95+ is possible but not viable in the long run.

·
Registered
17,841 Posts
Dennis exudes talent and being the future.

The sport is in such good hands all-around.

Only need them to get legit wins at slams against the Big 3 so their eventual rise/ownership doesn't feel lucky/weak

·
justice for all
16,257 Posts
I loved how Denis dismantled this promising youngster from Canada ;-)
He made it look routine.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I loved how Denis dismantled this promising youngster from Canada ;-)
He made it look routine.
Pospisil is a 29 year old veteran, he suffered a back injury in 2018 and has only recently come back, he's been as high as 25th and made a semi at Wimbledon and won a slam in doubles. Pospisil is in good form and expect him back this year to career highs barring injury.

Edit: I see you said that with a smile, so nevermind

·
Registered
479 Posts
An expected result and a match between fellow Canucks might seem like a yawn. But many great points and Vasek is a very good player.
But what struck me the most was the confidence Shapo exudes at the moment. He's on top, he knows it and it's palpable. It's mid-January and he's won every match except one vs Demon (which he really should have won) against massive crowd support for DM and one narrow loss against Djokovic (again against massive crowd support for the Serb).
He is playing great tennis. I'm not a betting man but I think 2020 will bring him into top 10 (low odds on that) and he will start to seriously contend for major titles in 2021. Unless something very unexpected like an injury happens I see him winning multiple slams. Not this year, not just yet. But he will. Tsitsipas will probably be his main rival. Med and Zverev are frankly too tall for tennis longevity. Above 1.95 you have an advantage as long as you can move like players of lesser stature. But as history proves, you can't keep that up for too long, especially if you're not a pure servebot like Isner or Opelka. Mastering an all court game at 1.95+ is possible but not viable in the long run.
Good analysis, I agree with it. I think he's already in the Tsit's/Medvedev conversation and can go deep into slams now. Tsist's first title was Stockholm, same as Denis and Denis can beat him now.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Agree with all you say, except for your take on Medvedev, whose game is very unorthodox. I wouldn't write him off based on the norm. He's invented a gamestyle that's pretty mobile and flexible and exploits the advantages of a big frame not just as regards serving, but also in his rallying. I haven't seen a player that tall with as much variety.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dennis exudes talent and being the future.

The sport is in such good hands all-around.

Only need them to get legit wins at slams against the Big 3 so their eventual rise/ownership doesn't feel lucky/weak
The Big 3 are still here. But their total dominance I think will start to fade this year. I may have to eat those words...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good analysis, I agree with it. I think he's already in the Tsit's/Medvedev conversation and can go deep into slams now. Tsist's first title was Stockholm, same as Denis and Denis can beat him now.
Denis is already up I think 3-1 vs Tsitsi in the H2H.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I wonder how much of Shapo's good form against Djokovic was due to Shapo's good play or Djokovic being a little off. I can never tell but one thing that has changed is Shapo's ability to hang intelligently in rallies with him.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree with all you say, except for your take on Medvedev, whose game is very unorthodox. I wouldn't write him off based on the norm. He's invented a gamestyle that's pretty mobile and flexible and exploits the advantages of a big frame not just as regards serving, but also in his rallying. I haven't seen a player that tall with as much variety.
True what you say about Meds unique game. He is very mobile but he's still young. His knees and back are taking a lot more strain compared to a shorter player. In the long run it may increase risk of injury.

·
justice for all
16,257 Posts
I wonder how much of Shapo's good form against Djokovic was due to Shapo's good play or Djokovic being a little off. I can never tell but one thing that has changed is Shapo's ability to hang intelligently in rallies with him.
It’s really important for Denis not to rush things in those rallies with great baseliners like Djokovic and only pull the trigger when in a good position.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s really important for Denis not to rush things in those rallies with great baseliners like Djokovic and only pull the trigger when in a good position.
I think that's one change I can see is developing. He hits a lot more shots mid-court to minimise extreme angles in return. He is also returning with looser, deep shots. He wants to be on his front foot ready to pounce on any short ball.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
I think it'd be fair to say that Djokovic wasn't at his sharpest to start the match but steadied the ship as it progressed. However, as you and Denis denis pointed out, Shapovalov's tactic was pretty different from what we are used to. He has the physical ability to hang in rallies with the best of baseliners. The sole problem has always been his lack of patience. Which they seem to be trying to address.
In addition, it's worth mentioning, that against Pospisil he played with much lower margins, taking advantage of his movement. I believe and hope that was also quite deliberate.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
The Big 3 are still here. But their total dominance I think will start to fade this year. I may have to eat those words...
Yeah , words like that the big 3 made a nutricious yearly diet for Mtf conocieurs diners

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Having said that I'm finally now with high hopes for tennis , that the bright side of the NxGen (Denis Shapovalov) will finish his training to fight the Empire forces (Tsitsipas and Zverev) . Medvedev you can root him to stirr things up , make it interesting . Atp is shaping into the future , as competitive as can get , waiting for the ultimate jedi master, necessary for now , won't be .

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
"A match between fellow Canucks might like seem like a yawn"????

People weren't saying this when Felix and Denis played in Madrid. Please! And Pospsil has done great lately so show some respect. (You're one of the better posters here so I can ask this of you)

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Shapo was better in Aus than he was in Paris IMO, he had gained confidence from DC

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Pospisil is a 29 year old veteran, he suffered a back injury in 2018 and has only recently come back, he's been as high as 25th and made a semi at Wimbledon and won a slam in doubles.
Let me guess, he made the semis at Wimbledon in 2015?
Just yesterday was watching a Youtube video when a tennis analyst said Nick Kyrgios also made the semis the year before. How easy a quaterfinal becomes a semifinal these days.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"A match between fellow Canucks might like seem like a yawn"????

People weren't saying this when Felix and Denis played in Madrid. Please! And Pospsil has done great lately so show some respect. (You're one of the better posters here so I can ask this of you)
I have a lot of respect for Pospisil which I also said. What I meant by "yawn" was that with AO looming large, a R2 match in a 250 tournament wasn't going to stir that much interest.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts