Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I didn't see the match so I don't usually comment on matches I did not watch.. But the amount of errors in this match was apparently over 100!! Quite the achievement in Bo3. 46 for Sousa, 78 for Shapovalov. Early season rust.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I didn't see the match, so therefore can't comment on the specifics, but this is a disappointing result. I was really hoping Denis would come on in leaps and bounds this year (and he very well might, this is only the first tournament after all), but it's definitely an underwhelming start (78 errors? WTF?).

·
The special one
14,024 Posts
I didn't see the match so I don't usually comment on matches I did not watch.. But the amount of errors in this match was apparently over 100!! Quite the achievement in Bo3. 46 for Sousa, 78 for Shapovalov. Early season rust.
78 UEs?? WTF, I dont think I've ever seen that before in a 3 set match that I can think of. I remember Novak was absolutely slated for making 100 at AO a few years back but that was a 5 set set match, this is shocking.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
There must be a mistake with error calculation. Sousa won 106 points in total. Counting in aces, DF's and winners, that'd mean 7 forced errors. Not possible.

New year, new haircut, old troubles. Shapo was hitting breathtaking winners and breaking Sousa at will (well, kinda - the return is still dreadful) while struggling to hold. He changed his serve again. Less abbreviated, yet not quite his old one. The toss became pretty inconsistent too, from the little I saw. Quite a mess. The positive is that they are clearly addressing the issue and hopefully will find the right balance sooner rather than later. I didn't have particularly high hopes for this AO campaign. These things take time. I am also not sure Steckley is the right coach for him. I liked what I heard from him in interviews, but actions speak louder than any words. Time will tell.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Sousa looked looked damn good against Gulbis. Good talent.

Wouldn't over-react here.

Edit: Oops. Wrong Sousa. Bad loss indeed.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Sousa looked looked damn good against Gulbis. Good talent.

Wouldn't over-react here.

Edit: Oops. Wrong Sousa. Bad loss indeed.
Spot on, as always. :)
This is the right Sousa - top 30 player at his peak, who beat Pouille and PCB in NYC and Zverev in IW last year. Gulbis struggled with the wrong one.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Spot on, as always. :)
This is the right Sousa - top 30 player at his peak, who beat Pouille and PCB in NYC and Zverev in IW last year. Gulbis struggled with the wrong one.
The "wrong" one has a far bigger game when on and is more threatening. Will most likely do more than Sousa also, who just made his first ever 4R of a slam and that in part due to Pouille's clowning.

Those achievements you list don't sound like much. How many matches have PCB and Pouille won since then? Has PCB even played one?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
The "wrong" one has a far bigger game when on and is more threatening. Will most likely do more than Sousa also, who just made his first ever 4R of a slam and that in part due to Pouille's clowning.

Those achievements you list don't sound like much. How many matches have PCB and Pouille won since then? Has PCB even played one?
Nice story, but how do you explain why Pedro Sousa has failed to get a top 50 win in his career before turning 30? No offense:)

·
Registered
4,562 Posts

That's why Pedro is generally refered to as the real portuguese Sousa #1 among experts.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts

:lol: The "wrong" one has never made a slam MD nor top 100 and has a 12-12 career record at the age of 30, but sure - he's more threatening than current #44. Thanks for playing, bud, this was fun, as always. :)

Nice story, but how do you explain why Pedro Sousa has failed to get a top 50 win in his career before turning 30? No offense:)
The truth should never be let get in the way of a good story.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts

I do find it hard to believe the UE stat can be correct as well but I can't find anything suggesting otherwise at the moment. The stats are wrong sometimes though - and it doesn't help that they are often counted differently at different events. I would propose the most likely scenario is that a lot of forced errors were being counted as unforced. However other Auckland matches seem to have normal stats.

On the bright side for Shapovalov it seems his first serve was finding the court a decent amount of points and maybe changes in that department can start to pay off in the first months of this season if it continues to improve.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Yikes just 1 match of prep before AO. Fans of his just gotta hope he has a soft draw going into AO, but I wouldn't look past R3 at the moment.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts