Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Humbert on his good serving day is extremely hard to break. Still, Shapovalov did have a 0-40 chance, which he blew.

I may be wide off the mark here, but maybe, maybe, Shapovalov should cut down on his DF's, just a tiny bit? I know he doesn't want his second serve to be easy prey, but DF-ing to lose a set, and then again DF-ing to lose the match isn't a good look at all, is it. Besides, it's all deja vu every single fricking time.

·
justice for all
16,784 Posts
Disappointing result. I haven’t watched. So was Humbert so good or was Denis back to his worse?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Well bright side to this is that it'll give Shapovalov some rest before AO if he's looking for a pretty deep run(At least 4th round)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It might be a blessing, he shouldnt overplay before a slam. Winning a title right before a major might take a lot out of an inexperienced player mentally.

Reactions: Denis denis

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
not many people speak about Ugo Humbert here, but he is maybe the best young French prospect. I would not be surprised to see Ugo in the top 30 if not top 20 at the end of the season. I did not see the match, but it looked like that Denis got tight at the end of each set.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well bright side to this is that it'll give Shapovalov some rest before AO if he's looking for a pretty deep run(At least 4th round)
I totally agree with your bright side take. The situation was similar to Winston-Salem just before the USO when he had a good opportunity to win the tournament but that would have meant virtually no rest before his first very important match against FAA. Being fresh coming into a slam is much more important than winning a 250. Not saying he tanked then (or now) but perhaps not playing 100%. He has played a lot recently so he definitely does not need any match practice.

·
Registered
698 Posts
not many people speak about Ugo Humbert here, but he is maybe the best young French prospect. I would not be surprised to see Ugo in the top 30 if not top 20 at the end of the season. I did not see the match, but it looked like that Denis got tight at the end of each set.
Humbert is indeed a great prospect and a bit overlooked. His game is not dissimilar to Shapo's - big serve and powerful shots. The match was a bit of a botfest (saw the highlights) and only two breaks won - both by Denis DFs.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
i' disagree, i'd say moutet is the best young french prospect. taken him maybe a little longer than i thought for him to mature but he's got a great game. the 1 thing that might hold him back is the serve

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
i' disagree, i'd say moutet is the best young french prospect. taken him maybe a little longer than i thought for him to mature but he's got a great game. the 1 thing that might hold him back is the serve
We will see, I saw both Moutet and Humbert live in 2019 (in Umag for Corentin and Antwerp for Ugo) and even if Corentin is very pleasant to watch as he has a great touch and un unpredictable game, he lacks of power and will never be a great server, he will always have to work hard to win his matches, I can see him having a career like Diego Schwartzman at the best. Ugo, in the other hand, has a much better serve and can produce winners from both side from the back of the court. His game will help him on the fastest surfaces but will struggle on clay.
I still have to see Harold Mayot, who is only 17, so much more younger, but I have read so far great things about him.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Shapovalov is an ongoing pain and a broken heart of a true fan of his talent. This is just unbelievable.

Humbert on his good serving day is extremely hard to break.
It's not about him.

Shapovalov should cut down on his DF's
How?

I haven’t watched. So was Humbert so good or was Denis back to his worse?
And I watched the whole match?. Denis just went back to origins. The worse performance from last year.

(At least 4th round)
What are you hinting at:)? Why did you ask exactly about the 4th round;)???

Winning a title right before a major might take a lot out of an inexperienced player mentally.
That is, winning is bad?

In total:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not about him.
It is. A tennis match is always, with no exception, about both players. That's what tennis is. That's why it's a beautiful sport.

I even regretted not talking enough about Humbert in my post. I just didn't have time and got lazy. My bad, and yet there you are, telling me that it was actually not about Humbert at all.

I'm probably overreacting, but Jesus F. Christ, your kind is by far the most effin' annoying of all tennis "fans".

·
Registered
472 Posts
It is. A tennis match is always, with no exception, about both players. That's what tennis is. That's why it's a beautiful sport.
This is the usual idle talk :) . I watched the whole match and I know what I'm saying. If Denis used his opportunities, it would be easy to win, and your idol Humbert would not do anything about it;).

I'm probably overreacting, but Jesus F. Christ, your kind is by far the most effin' annoying of all tennis "fans".
Christ has nothing to do with it?. It's just that I am well versed in tennis and very well understand Denis Shapovalov's performance.
The funny thing is: all my predictions regarding Shapo came true with amazing accuracy.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Boys and girls, I have great news for you!
As I managed to read in mass media, Shapo played sick, with a cold. There is a possibility that he will not have time to recover to the beginning of the Australian Open and withdraw from it.
Stay tuned.

·
Registered
19,074 Posts
This is the usual idle talk :) . I watched the whole match and I know what I'm saying. If Denis used his opportunities, it would be easy to win, and your idol Humbert would not do anything about it;).

Christ has nothing to do with it?. It's just that I am well versed in tennis and very well understand Denis Shapovalov's performance.
The funny thing is: all my predictions regarding Shapo came true with amazing accuracy.
You're still in the 'teen stage' of fandom where you can't admit the counterpart had something to do with it.

Reactions: Sparlingo

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Haters, especially those who pretend to be fans, miraculously become less annoying when ignored. Just sayin'. ;)

I didn't see the match, but Humbert is not someone to be trifled with. He can tennis. Also, this is hardly the first time Shapovalov gets upset by a lefty. We'll have to wait and see.
As pointed out above, getting some rest between the ATP Cup, where he too, overplayed and AO should be a blessing in disguise.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Haters, especially those who pretend to be fans, miraculously become less annoying when ignored. Just sayin'. ;)

I didn't see the match, but Humbert is not someone to be trifled with. He can tennis. Also, this is hardly the first time Shapovalov gets upset by a lefty. We'll have to wait and see.
As pointed out above, getting some rest between the ATP Cup, where he too, overplayed and AO should be a blessing in disguise.
Humbert played better that was the sum total. However, Denis had won his previous 8 matches against lefties. That being said he looked off and was coughing terribly throughout the match. I'd like to know where the previous poster read he was sick and might not play the AO. Please source that if you can.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts