Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Highly impressive performance again from Sandgren. Most of the points he is defending at the Australian Open were saved here, so he really helped keep himself top 100 incase of an early exit in Australia. However on this form (a big IF about him keeping this form) I think he is playing top 20 tennis at this moment and can be troublesome once more.

Norrie has also had an impressive start to the season. Didn't have the answers today to get past the Sandgren defence and looked uncomfortable at times in rallies. He should be able to push towards top 50 at least if he keeps playing so well.

Both were competing for a first title. I am sure Norrie will have other chances, maybe it will be very soon as well.

·
28,468 Posts
This is a crazy result. I thought he would be back ranked where he belongs for the rest of the season after Australia this year. Congratulations to him.

·
Administrator
18,339 Posts
Norrie played very well this week but he tended to get very nervous. SF he served two straight DFs to kick off serving for the match but was helped by exhausted Struff. Today he was a level below the rest of the week and failed to punish some very poor play from Sandgren at 5-2 in the second.

Sandgren was a level above the rest of the field here. He has typical American good serve + forehand combo (serve seems improved to me). Looks like he put in some work in the off season, also played very well in Brisbane against a poor matchup in Millman although he got distracted big time in the third set back then. Most impressive to me is his clutchness, always plays big points well and was in the zone serving for the match, until a footfault abruptly took him 'out' of the zone :p I was at RLA for the Chung match last year and reflex volleys were amazing, can be appreciated even more when watching live.

Don't think we'll see any big run again from Sandgren at AO, Nishioka in R1 is one of the tougher unseeded opponents and Sandgren seems inconsistent from week to week, Khachanov and RBA also in the way of R4. Norrie has a good chance to make R3 with injured Monfils, but I don't think he'd do any good against Federer, doesn't seem like a big stage player :lol:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Highly impressive performance again from Sandgren. Most of the points he is defending at the Australian Open were saved here, so he really helped keep himself top 100 incase of an early exit in Australia. However on this form (a big IF about him keeping this form) I think he is playing top 20 tennis at this moment and can be troublesome once more.

... Was thinking the same thing.That'll take alot pressure off him and allow him to somewhat go out there more relax and see what he can do_On paper though it suggests he'll bow out in the 2nd round to Khachanov.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Congrats to Sandgren, solid stuff. I like seeing him win because I know it angers the snowflakes on TF.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Great, now he can donate his prizemoney to fund The Wall. :yeah:

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
A very deserved first title, without losing a set too. Really impressive from Sandgren. :hi5:
Norrie will get another chance in the near future, surely. :hug:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Sandgren's been playing at a crazy high level lately. His conditioning is 10000 times better than what it was a few years ago. His confidence is great. His serve is fast and solid. Dude is riding the wave now. He can surprise a lot of people at the AO.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
As sickening as it is to see this happen, it was inevitable once John and Fabio lost. He was clearly the best player this week and the final was a mere formality. Norrie was just too nervous.

·
23,064 Posts
Make Tennys Great Again!
He won this title, so I say he is already. :p Big pressure for him as many as said here defending points from last year's Slam, and good for him to win a title (did also a good run in Houston last year). Norrie also seemingly showing good improvement reaching the final here. Sandgren will break into a new Career High, while Norrie is breaking closer.

·
23,064 Posts
First title at 27 years old! That's very impressive.
Eh, it's been quite common lately to get your first title these late 20's, especially if you are not a Top 30 regular, finally getting the experience and form to win at the end.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts