Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Grigor live up to they Hype and be Successful as the ATP claims?

• Yes he will live up to the hype.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • No he will not live up to the hype.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • Another Young Gun [______] will step up and surpass Grigor.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other. Please Explain

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video Link Here: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2014/07/28/Dimitrov-Emirates-ATP-Rankings-Top-10.aspx

Today, Grigor Dimitrov becomes the first Bulgarian man to break into the Top 10 of the Emirates ATP Rankings. ATPWorldTour.com pays tribute to the 23-year-old record-setter.

The transition can often be fraught for the talented that shine brightly on the international junior circuit. Often, the starlets find the path to the upper echelons of the ATP World Tour insurmountable. Winning multiple Grand Slam junior titles is not always a guarantee of future success.

Laden with trophies as a junior — including the 2008 Wimbledon and US Open crowns — Grigor Dimitrov soon found himself afflicted by the burden of being touted the ‘next’ Roger Federer. “This thing was starting to get a bit out of hand,” he said, and for a few years the moniker weighed heavily on his shoulders.

Professional satisfaction was initially achieved on the ATP Challenger Tour (11-1 record in singles finals), yet prior to this year, Dimitrov had reached the third round just once — at 2013 Roland Garros — in his 12 Grand Slam championship appearances. The pressure to succeed was always there, self-imposed, yet the weight of expectation from the media continued to build. Last years, after long periods of academy training, Dimitrov decided on the direction of his career.

Roger Rasheed, his coach since September 2013, recalls, "This kid came to me pretty strongly when I stopped with Jo [-Wilfried Tsonga]. I said, 'What do you want to be? Honestly?' When you say you want to be the best player in the world at some point in your career, it means you're really prepared to be accountable. And if you're prepared to be accountable it opens a lot of skeletons, a lot of doors, and you've got to be honest with yourself. To his credit, he's wanted to do that.”

In joining forces with Rasheed, Dimitrov’s thirst to improve on a daily basis benefited from the establishment of attainable goals: to improve his physical strength and tactics to befit his talent level. One month after teaming up with his Australian coach he picked up his first ATP World Tour title at the If Stockholm Open (l. to Ferrer). “I learned something about myself,” said Dimitrov. “It just clicked, but our goals are higher. We are just at the beginning.”

Over the past 12 months, Dimitrov grafted in order to prove himself among the established stars. “Roger has taught me to be more disciplined [and] use better shot selections,” he admitted. “We really give 100 per cent to each other, every day.” Together, they have won a further three titles in 2014 — on different surfaces — the Abierto Mexicano Telcel hard (d. Anderson), the BRD Nastase Tiriac Trophy clay (d. Rosol) and the grass of the Aegon Championships (d. Lopez).

Dimitrov is now playing with greater calm and composure, and he has learned the ability to switch his focus when he has to in matches. “He plays higher percentage tennis and makes better decisions,” says Andy Murray, who lost to Dimitrov in the semi-finals of this year’s Abierto Mexicano Telcel and The Championships at Wimbledon. “Technically, he hasn’t made any changes to his game.”

While 23 was once considered a mature age to break through, the dominance of the ‘Big Four’ since the start of 2004, has seen Federer (16), Rafael Nadal (14), Novak Djokovic (7) and Murray (2) – win 39 of the past 43 Grand Slam championships.

Dimitrov treats every match like a gladiatorial battle. His willingness to play on the front foot resulted in a recent run to the semi-finals at The Championships (l. to Djokovic). Dedicated, disciplined and hungry, his rise into the Top 10 of the Emirates ATP Rankings is just the start for the richly talented Bulgarian, who is at the forefront of the next generation of stars.
Well here comes big hype from the ATP, and Grigor needs to now follow the hype and do something BIG. Aka winning a Masters in the indoor swing and qualifying for WTF.

Also interesting to note that they choose Grigor hype over Raonic. While I don't like him personally, he still deserves some recognition for his achievements.

Will he live up to the hype and do the best out of these young guns?

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
It's been clear for some time that Grigor is the ATP's Plan A (and possible Plan B and C as well) for future success. He's the most exciting thing to happen to tennis in years and they are desperate to capitalise on that. If/When he wins a slam, his profile will go through the roof and the ATP will be a very happy organisation.

Raonic has a big serve and could have a good career but he brings nothing to the game other than Canadatards. No flair, no personality, no excitement and ultimately, no new fans.

·
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope he is not Plan C.

That spot should be saved for GOAThiem :cool:

·
Registered
536 Posts
He's overhyped compared to Raonic who is a more talented player but does not get the same coverage as Dimitrov, the guy is a fluke top 10 player and will not last as a top 10 player.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
He's overhyped compared to Raonic who is a more talented player but does not get the same coverage as Dimitrov, the guy is a fluke top 10 player and will not last as a top 10 player.
hahah this made my day.Poor Djokovic beated this overhyped soo easy..SURE....ahahhahhah u are pathetic :wavey:

·
Your visions will happen
47,119 Posts
Kyrgios next, and just as marketable

·
Registered
536 Posts
hahah this made my day.Poor Djokovic beated this overhyped soo easy..SURE....ahahhahhah u are pathetic :wavey:
If Nole played anything like he did yesterday that match against Dimitrov would of ended in 3, that was Djokovic on a off day and Dimimug still could not push him to 5 at least Cilic did that and yet his not get the same praise as Dimitrova.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
I'm guessing you're quite new to tennis and still trying to work it all out. :spit:

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
hahahha Dimitrov is dating Sharapova.Great game,great looking,smart and all.What u are talking about ? Nobody young is above him !!!

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Well he did give NoleAndy a good run here and didn't implode. You could tell something was different in Australia.

Regarding the drunk uncle in the room, his age...

I'm not sure if he'll be able to put too much of a dent into the top echelon as long as the big 3 have a kung fu grip on it for the next few years, but he'll get his chance eventually. Hopefully Milos has ironed out a few deficiencies by then as well. Good times ahead.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Could go either way at this point. :shrug:

One is sure he's really the ATP plan A for next generation marketing. I suspect someone from the new generations will come and start winning everything like a new born Nadal or Federer.

Dimitrov needs too much time to learn how to win big.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Most likely much more marketable, Dimitrov is still an Easter European with no big Tennis Association at his back...
A Borat pic would have emphasized the point.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Most likely much more marketable, Dimitrov is still an Easter European with no big Tennis Association at his back, if Kyrgios makes some success, he could be really huge. Also 4 years younger.
Time will tell and while I agree being Eastern European impedes Dimitrov somewhat, he seems to have transcended his nationality. Kyrgios made a big splash at Wimbledon but he seems to polarise people too much with his loud, bratty and cocky behaviour. Some people like that, others hate it. I do agree though that Tennis Australia carries a lot of weight and will do everything they can to promote him.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Some of the biggest sporting stars in the world have a bit of cockiness about them, so don't believe that Kyrgios will suffer any negative consequences from it. However, Dimitrov has a nice attitude, very friendly, which couldn't possibly offend anybody. That is the safer option.

The big question with regards to Dimitrov is whether he's going to be successful enough on-court. He seems to have everything off-court perfectly aligned in order for him to be a big star. It's about the tennis now for Dimitrov. Time will tell if he can really become the superstar some people think he will.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts