Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder why this hasn't been posted here yet... Or is it only 'spoiled, bratty' youngsters whose on court antics get to be scrutinized by the MTF cognoscenti?

Here's the BBC's version...

A fuming Pablo Cuevas packed his bag and walked off court after getting a warning from the umpire - before his opponent went after him and persuaded him to resume their ATP Cup match.

The bizarre episode began when the Uruguayan returned from a changeover unusually pumped while trailing 5-4.

He had sprinted out of his chair, roared towards his bench and leapt high in the air while receiving serve.

He also made several other exaggerated gestures, receiving a code violation.

Cuevas, 34, was incensed by the warning - which came when Georgian opponent Nikoloz Basilashvili had three set points - and asked the umpire if he was "crazy" and demanded the supervisor be called.

After a lengthy exchange with the supervisor, Cuevas decided he had had enough and put his racquets back in his bag, then headed towards the exit with boos ringing out in the Perth arena.

Basilashvili, however, walked over to the Uruguayan world number 41, put his hand on his shoulder and spoke to him to get him to change his mind.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
I only saw Basha bringing him back and was super confused... didnt seem very Pablo like.

That was at 5-4 40-0.

The set went to 5-4 40-40, luckily Pablo UE'd then.

Wouldnt have deserved such bizarre turnaround after those shenanigans.

Cant say i saw a lack of trying beforr that game though. Must have been those 3 points.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Very misinformed twitter post though.

The trolling came before Basha got him back.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I saw that , Espn interrupted to show it . It was bizarre , great sportsmanship by Bashi , who acted in selflessly here. He knew not even his uruguayan teammates didn't do enough / coulndt do any convincing . IT was the only way

·
Premium Member
29,538 Posts
Absurd scenes. I've never seen anything quite like that, Cuevas needs help. And I mean more than Tsitsipas/Kyrgios.

Classy from Basha though

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a player try to convince his opponent to not lose/quit. Respect for Basilashvili for sure. Bizarre from Cuevas and not sure what could’ve gotten him to that point.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Quite a breakthrough in those infamously tense Georgian/Uruguayan relations.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Cuevas has always been pretty nonchalant, doesn't mean he doesn't care or isn't trying to win...but from what I see he's been smoking something good with the team over there lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts