Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ATP is currently dealing with the frozen ranking and the “Djokovic question”. Upon request, the ATP writes that «many aspects regarding the frozen world rankings and all details of what will be when the game can be played have not yet been finalized. We'll keep you up to date".

Individual tournament directors even suggest to the ATP to cancel the entire season, including the tournaments played, and to continue on January 1, 2021 where the tennis world was on December 31, 2019. This radical solution would then be anything but pleasant for Novak Djokovic, the winner of the Australian Open 2020.

(Source: translated from telebasel.ch, 5th April)

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
I read this earlier but canceling the start of the season sounds like a big joke. Can't believe some seem to be serious about it :D

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
The guy who mentioned this idea is Madrid Masters director who is also Geneva tournament director. He speaks fluent French, seems to be from Switzerland (to be confirmed).

Other tournament directors have suggested the same?

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Okay if they actually cancel the start of the season I may have to go full mother Yolita here and admit that is is a massive joke and would be totally unfair on boat

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
That would be retarded as fuck to cancel what already happened and unfair as fuck to Djokovic.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I would suggest a following compromise solution:
As for the ranking points, I would extend the validity for the duration of the lock-down, instead of a regular 52-week cycle. This would work so that when the lock-down is over and the competition restarts, the last results of the currently frozen rankings would be invalidated. To make it more clear - suppose the competition restarts with Cincinnati Masters; the last valid tournament from the previous 52-week cycle was Indian Wells 2019, and those points would be invalidated once the Cincinnati is over. This would continue until a regular 52-week cycle is reached. I know this makes a mess of the per-surface seasons, but would be the only fair solution for the players.
On the other hand, time records would be frozen. The lock-down period would not count towards weeks at #1.
Race of course would be a total mess, but that cannot be helped in any way.

Reactions: Litotes

·
Registered
19,556 Posts
That would be retarded as fuck to cancel what already happened and unfair as fuck to Djokovic.
They can take away the ranking points, but cannot take away the won trophies and the accompanying glory with them.
ITF could never be obliged to such nonsense.

·
Your visions will happen
50,044 Posts
For me there is no "Djokovic question". He gets his 283, which is what was clinched. After that, how we do the ranking, and if we have some 2019 events staying until 2021 or rolling deletions, we will see what's going on

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Impossible to cancel AO 2020, Djokovic won 7 matches, is the director named Toni?
Not quite, El padrino aka Godfakerer. Seriously, no tournament director has any say in any tourn. they had no input in. If cancellations continue, no “radical” explanations needed, 2020 was simply an abbreviated season due to gIobaI unforeseen circumstances that every pro sport was deaIt with & ATP/ITF can figure some way of compensating the unplayed events.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
My serious question, would the trophy for YE#1 of 2020 be half/quarter the size it used to be?

Certainly expect the bonus to be shrank significantly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ATP is currently dealing with the frozen ranking and the “Djokovic question”. Upon request, the ATP writes that «many aspects regarding the frozen world rankings and all details of what will be when the game can be played have not yet been finalized. We'll keep you up to date".

Individual tournament directors even suggest to the ATP to cancel the entire season, including the tournaments played, and to continue on January 1, 2021 where the tennis world was on December 31, 2019. This radical solution would then be anything but pleasant for Novak Djokovic, the winner of the Australian Open 2020.

(Source: translated from telebasel.ch, 5th April)
If they cancel even AO and Dubai 2020 results Djokovic will come so motivated in next season that He will win every match in straight sets by score of 6:0. That is 9 masters and all 4 slams I dont think anyone want to risk that :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Restarting the season at IW 2021 is the best solution. The race and rankings would continue and points would be defended from 2019 points.

·
|
15,485 Posts
If they cancel even AO and Dubai 2020 results Djokovic will come so motivated in next season that He will win every match in straight sets by score of 6:0. That is 9 masters and all 4 slams I dont think anyone want to risk that :)
You don't think Djokovic was already motivated at the 2020 AO? And yet he needed a 6-4 5th Set to beat Thiem after being down 2-sets-to-1!
And this was after Rafa took Thiem's best tennis and softened him up.....
Let's face it, Djokovic has very little control over what happens, even at his favorite event....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts