·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ATP under fire after clearing Davydenko of not trying

Steve Bierley in Shanghai
Wednesday November 14, 2007

Guardian
There has always been a suspicion, given Nikolay Davydenko's personal attack in April on Etienne de Villiers, the chief executive of the ATP, accusing him of incompetence, that the Russian has been a marked man. The world No4 remains under investigation after a match he was involved in during August in Poland was the subject of irregular betting patterns, but yesterday he won his appeal against a £1,000 fine for allegedly not trying hard enough during a defeat by Croatia's Marin Cilic in St Petersburg last month.

"Following an extensive review of the match that included a full video analysis, it was decided that Davydenko's appeal should be upheld and the fine rescinded," said the ATP's rule chief, Gayle Bradshaw. So why on earth was the Russian, who was injured, ever pulled up in the first place, and why was his playing integrity under question again during the Paris Masters? Small wonder that Ronnie Leitgeb, Davydenko's Austrian manager, believes that so many of his problems stem from simple misunderstandings, a view that the ATP has done little to dispel prior to this decision.

The betting investigation is ongoing although, according to Leitgeb, the ATP has failed to unearth any incriminating evidence against Davydenko. It has done little or nothing to dilute the mounting insinuations that have washed over the Russian and has now been left with egg on its face over the non-trying fine that should never have been issued. Worse, there was no official word of apology yesterday, which was disgraceful. Should the betting investigation also clear him, the pressure will mount on De Villiers's leadership. Indeed the whole fabric of the ATP, an intrinsically flawed body, will come under increased scrutiny.

Leitgeb hopes the betting investigation will be resolved quickly. "I've seen signs of a real mental burn-out. Nikolay is the one who is suffering and still I cannot understand why the first thing Betfair did was to make a press announcement without talking to him, without talking to anybody. From the very beginning he didn't get a fair chance on this."

There were more surprises in the Tennis Masters Cup yesterday following Roger Federer's shock defeat by Fernando González on Monday. Rafael Nadal began the day in buoyant mood, believing that Federer's current uncertainty could only work in his favour. The Spanish world No2 is finally clear of injury, having suffered tendinitis in both knees during the US Open where he was beaten in the fourth round by his fellow countryman, David Ferrer. Most believed that defeat had been an aberration but up bounced Ferrer again in the Qi Zhong stadium to confound both Nadal and the experts once again, winning 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.

There is no secret to Ferrer's success; he simply runs and runs, driving his opponents to the point of distraction. "It's crazy," said Nadal, whose own high-energy game has driven many mad - notably Federer on the clay of Roland Garros and increasingly so at Wimbledon. Ferrer is a commoner cocking a snook at the tennis aristocracy. His plan is not particularly cunning but it is certainly upsetting the applecart this week. Perhaps the ATP will try to fine him for trying too much.

In his opening round robin match he defeated Novak Djokovic, the world No 3 who suffered a second loss at the hands of France's Richard Gasquet yesterday and consequently lost all chance of reaching Saturday's semi-finals. The 20-year-old Serb, who has been the rising star of this season, has simply run out of gas, having played no fewer than 86 singles matches. But he could yet stymie Nadal's semi-final ambitions by beating him in their last round robin match tomorrow. Indeed it remains an unlikely possibility that neither Nadal nor Federer will feature this weekend, which would be extraordinary.
Guardian Unlimited © Guardian News and Media Limited 2007

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/story/0,,2210444,00.html

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The best thing to come out of this sorry episode would be the sacking of De villiers and subsequent restructuring of The ATP.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Well the PMK is right that de Villiers is incompetent, but that is like saying babies cry.

·
124,507 Posts
It's interesting that Ronnie Leitgeb was quoted in the article, because Thomas Muster when he was playing used to criticise the ATP structure and management then and Ronnie was his manager, media advisor ( being a former journalist) coach and the like.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
It is about time for a new union, the current coalition of tournament directors and players seems to have lived its course.

·
124,507 Posts
It is about time for a new union, the current coalition of tournament directors and players seems to have lived its course.
It really hasn't worked that well, especially when one group distrusts the others and aren't working for the same interests.

·
124,507 Posts
Here is something that was posted in 2000, the names have changed, but not much has in reality. Miles has gone, but Mickey hasn't done much of anything, except fuck up.

The ATP has always been about the Tournament Directors though not in name. I will paste an old excerpt from a Medvedev interview.

Why are the other guys on the tour afraid to speak up and give their opinions?

My opinion is that some of them don’t care. If you ask Sampras, he’d say, everything is fine. I’m making my money with the ATP Tour, and I’m happy about that. I was once a representative of the Top 10 players. And when you try to get these guys to work for something, nine out of 10 guys would say, I don’t care. Everything is fine. If you explain that this way is better, they reply, we understand, but we don’t care. That was at the time of Becker, Edberg, Sampras.

Are there any players who care?

Yeah, I would say Rafter cares. I think Agassi actually cares although he doesn’t always show it. He would be willing to step up and do a little revolution and be behind the players and not behind the ATP Tour.

On March 10, 1999 former world No. 1 Thomas Muster told the German newspaper Die Welt: I look at the ATP not so much as a representative of players but as a firm that in marketing even works against the players. I don’t like the way tennis is dominated by Americans. The problem is that tennis is governed by the Americans and financed by the Europeans. [ATP Tour CEO] Mark Miles must go, changes must come quickly, and the future of our sport is at stake.

Do you agree with Muster?

I agree with 90 percent of what Muster was saying because in the past the ATP has acted against [the best interests of] the players, and in favour of the tournaments. That’s a fact. Give me an example of that.

There are plenty of examples, believe me. In Estoril this year, I was to play a semi-final match scheduled not before 2:30, following the women at noon. It rained the whole day until 2:45. Nobody notified me or told me anything. Then rain stopped and 10 minutes later the tour manager tells me, you’re on the court in 10 minutes. I said, Listen, the women have to play first. He says, No, no, we got the TV. You got to go first. So I had no warm-up, no warning. When it was raining, they should have at least said, you guys should warm up, indoors or something, because you might play as soon as the rain stops.

We went on the court cold, and we had to play in a drizzle, and the court became slippery. We talked to the chair umpire, and he said he had orders that we had to continue because we had TV. Now, what if the players got injured? What, instead, if we had striked and refused to go on the court? The ATP doesn’t care if somebody breaks his leg. All they care about is the tournament and the TV gets what they want.

The ATP should be defending us because it’s an association of tennis professionals, not tournaments. They don’t consistently do this. They’re becoming better. But when Muster spoke out, it was definitely way in favour of the tournaments.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Thanks for the article, the funny thing is that Miles did nothing, yet he was clearly better than Mr. Disney, who just does crap. The marketing package of the "new" calendar for 2009 manages the impossible, it doesn't make the best players better off ant it makes lower ranked players worse off, since the points earned from lower level ATP tournaments and challengers will become less compared to today.

This is ultimate arseclown management, at least sleazy operators favour their own sycophants, here the only winner is Mr. Tiriac who gets his Madrid play, while the players lose.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Another good take on this was Bill Dwyre's of the L.A. Times:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/tennis/la-sp-dwyre13nov13,1,2972271.column?coll=la-headlines-sports-tennis&ctrack=1&cset=true <<--Pg. 1

http://www.latimes.com/sports/tennis/la-sp-dwyre13nov13,1,2972271.column?page=2&cset=true&ctrack=1&coll=la-headlines-sports-tennis <<--Pg. 2

... what tennis apparently has done too, now that it has rooted out the main culprit, the sport's cancer, the evil eye of the hurricane, Alessio Di Mauro.

Maybe next, they'll suspend Cleveland State's tennis team.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Davydenko loses: he´s cheating.

Davydenko loses closely: he is just acting a good match.

Davydenko wins closely: he will have some credit left.

Davydenko wins with great advantage: he is making "over-effort" and should be suspended // doping for sure.

***Only exit: win closely?

PD: in my personal guess, Davydenko is playing with the russian mafia.

·
124,507 Posts
Thanks for the article, the funny thing is that Miles did nothing, yet he was clearly better than Mr. Disney, who just does crap. The marketing package of the "new" calendar for 2009 manages the impossible, it doesn't make the best players better off ant it makes lower ranked players worse off, since the points earned from lower level ATP tournaments and challengers will become less compared to today.

This is ultimate arseclown management, at least sleazy operators favour their own sycophants, here the only winner is Mr. Tiriac who gets his Madrid play, while the players lose.
Too big.

:worship: :worship:

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Well the PMK is right that de Villiers is incompetent, but that is like saying babies cry.
:)

Agree completely :worship:

·
124,507 Posts
I am surprised PMK wasn't fined for winning his last match.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts