Mens Tennis Forums banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
If tennis really is done for the year I can see it ending the careers of many . Not so much the higher ranked guys, I'm talking those the play futures and mainly challengers. Guys that can not handle a year making no money and look elsewhere .

Taking a year off wont be easy to get back into tennis. I think itll be harder on tje veterans to get back into gear than it will the younger guys. We could see guys like Wawrinka, goffin, raonic, cilic, stuff really struggle . Some might never get back 100%

I just think the tennis is gonna be very different when it comes back.

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
If tennis really is done for the year I can see it ending the careers of many . Not so much the higher ranked guys, I'm talking those the play futures and mainly challengers. Guys that can not handle a year making no money and look elsewhere .

Taking a year off wont be easy to get back into tennis. I think itll be harder on tje veterans to get back into gear than it will the younger guys. We could see guys like Wawrinka, goffin, raonic, cilic, stuff really struggle . Some might never get back 100%

I just think the tennis is gonna be very different when it comes back.
Agreed. It is going to be a complete reset. Like it happened after the 2 World Wars. New dominant players

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
You think about other sports as well like hockey and curling that typically start in the late part of the year and finish in tje spring. Well, they've lost their finish to this season , it's possible tje start of their 2020-2021 gets pushed back. And in a world where a vaccine isnt available for another 18 months (estimated by many) then they may have to write off 2020-2021 completely.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I guess guys like kyrgios and bublik who openly whine and bitch about how much they hate the sport will be interesting to watch. How they handle it. It can go 2 ways. Either it gets them to admit they like it more than they wanted to admit or the fact that they dont have to worry about practice and all that will appeal to them. Theyll enjoy living life without it and within a year of tennis returning theyll retire, unable to motivate themselves into it again

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Most of them will probably have little luck finding work anywhere else in the current climate and will probably still be out of work when the tour resumes.

·
Registered
21,321 Posts
Most of them will probably have little luck finding work anywhere else in the current climate and will probably still be out of work when the tour resumes.
Haase offered his services as a babysitter :cool:

But yeah, the ATP and ITF would have to bail the lower-ranked players out by covering their expenses for a while

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
But yeah, the ATP and ITF would have to bail the lower-ranked players out by covering their expenses for a while
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:

Literally the funniest thing I've ever read

A year off the tour means retirement for thousands

·
Registered
21,321 Posts
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:

Literally the funniest thing I've ever read

A year off the tour means retirement for thousands
Haha I know it sounds bizarre given their ''Fuck the lower-ranked players'' attitude, but what choice do they have? Not doing it would be the death of tennis.

They have the money to do it and now they are actually forced to spend it.

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
Haha I know it sounds bizarre given their ''Fuck the lower-ranked players'' attitude, but what choice do they have? Not doing it would be the death of tennis.

They have the money to do it and now they are actually forced to spend it.
They are not going to do fucking shit.

95%+ of guys ranked below 300 will retire or never be the same after this break. The only ones to continue to strive are the ones with significant financial backing/sponsors already. I don't know what these guys are supposed to do. Can't coach cause there are no events to coach for, can't play cause of no tournaments, and no education to fall back on even if the global economy was not at a stand still.

A year of no tennis means the death of thousands of careers

·
Registered
21,321 Posts

95%+ of guys ranked below 300 will retire or never be the same after this break. The only ones to continue to strive are the ones with significant financial backing/sponsors already. I don't know what these guys are supposed to do. Can't coach cause there are no events to coach for, can't play cause of no tournaments, and no education to fall back on even if the global economy was not at a stand still.

In a scenario where they have absolutely no backing, you're probably right. Even if they receive an unemployment check from the government, how do you keep up a professional training regime on such a low budget? It's just hard to fathom an entire generation of players being wiped out.

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
In a scenario where they have absolutely no backing, you're probably right. Even if they receive an unemployment check from the government, how do you keep up a professional training regime on such a low budget? It's just hard to fathom an entire generation of players being wiped out.
Each player has a different situation of course. Age, injury, did you get your girl pregnant, did your sponsor bail, all these things are important. Most players operate at the fringe or at a loss. With this, guys have to do other things to make money. They cannot just wait around to see if/when the tour returns while all the bills pile up, even with slight government assistance.

I absolutely got out at the right time it appears, retiring 6 weeks before Corona halted the tour. I have a head start of the next phase of life, guys still in it, it is a time of uncertainty. Me I finally have time to write my book(s)

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Oh! So the ranking are going to be frozen???
That is as it should be if not tennis is not played.
About a month ago when IW was cancelled I started a thread about lost points for players who didn't have a chance to defend their points bcz the tourns weren't being played, and I had posters all arguing with me, about my position that it was unfair to lose points if there was no chance to defend them.
Turns out the atp has wisely done this, and as usual, MTF misses the point while I saw it long ago.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,519 Posts
Yep, he'll have the chance to accrue weeks by contending for them. Obviously a big difference compared to simply handing someone weeks with no play because "he almost certainly would've been #1 anyway, IMO".
I think the intent is to say, "we're wasting good time".

Suspension is appropriate but it is also inconvenient as an athlete's body and form doesn't suspend in the same way. If the suspension was 3 years for example, that would be a big shaving as Novak would be 3 years older and much closer to retirement which cuts opportunities to accrue weeks and also to win majors. He may resume nicely but you can't buy back time. I can't help but agree this event has helped Federer somewhat to stave off contenders against his records, and Federer doesn't lose points either that he normally would (clay season f.i.) had the suspension not taken place.

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
I think the intent is to say, "we're wasting good time".

Suspension is appropriate but it is also inconvenient as an athlete's body and form doesn't suspend in the same way. If the suspension was 3 years for example, that would be a big shaving as Novak would be 3 years older and much closer to retirement which cuts opportunities to accrue weeks and also to win majors. He may resume nicely but you can't buy back time. I can't help but agree this event has helped Federer somewhat to stave off contenders against his records, and Federer doesn't lose points either that he normally would (clay season f.i.) had the suspension not taken place.
Yes indeed. Federer makes out like an absolute bandit right now while guys like Nadal and Djokovic in their last few years of prime form are suffering the most, as well as Thiem who is hitting his peak right now

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
I'm not quite sure how a second knee surgery is 'making out like a bandit'. I'm sure Fed would prefer to be healthy...

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,519 Posts
I'm not quite sure how a second knee surgery is 'making out like a bandit'. I'm sure Fed would prefer to be healthy...
look at it from my perspective. Nishikori had to cut off his season after the USO to have elbow surgery and skipped AO and February. He was about to start playing in Miami or Monte Carlo. Suddenly the tour is suspended. He lost quite a lot points from USO up to Indian Wells, will be outside top 30 easily.

Federer cut his season midway through February. He would normally have to forgo tournaments and drop points just as Kei did. Now, effectively, his surgery doesn't exactly make a difference relative to other players in terms of time, opportunities and points that he keeps (Indian Wells F = 600 pts, Miami 1000).

If the tour suspended right after USO last season, Kei would not drop pts and ranking.
Get the difference in timing?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Is it really that bad? They can also spare the costs they usually have, when they go to tournaments and live in mom's basement.

In such a case, ATP should have some kind of emergency funding, because the tour consists of all the players and there should be some kind of support.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I mean there's an obvious argument to be made that both Djokovic and Nadal have had the better and more impressive careers (given the era they played in), but Federer still has the numbers on them due to beating up on lesser competition in the early stages of his own career. This virus has made it more likely he'll maintain those numbers.
Yes, it looks like we will never see tennis again as Armageddon appears upon us. Sadly if some rumours are true nothing that has been achieved will ever be remembered if we are going to have the 4th Plague. So it is irrelevant who has the numbers really. All I can say is let us all enjoy the past classic matches.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts