Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
13,948 Posts
All you Nadal and Fed crybabies can still tell your grandkids that Djokovic was not the true number one player in 2020.

So, don’t despair. All is not lost.
Kinda sounds like you're crying, tbh.

😂

·
Registered
13,948 Posts
Exactly. Federers 310 will forever been known as an asterisked number. Djokovic would have overrun that record with ease and a much bigger difference.
wouldn't Djokovic's number be asterisked, you idiot?

What's wrong with Federer's number?

·
Registered
215 Posts

They caved Djokovic at 281. Godsick and Tiley paid for it. 13 weeks potential wasted. His number will be asterisked forever. Would not rule Sampras' influence out. His remaining numbers are in danger.

Fed's number will be known as an asterisked record IF Djokovic reaches 298.

·
Registered
13,948 Posts
They caved Djokovic at 281. Godsick and Tiley paid for it. 13 weeks potential wasted. His number will be asterisked forever. Would not rule Sampras' influence out. His remaining numbers are in danger.

Fed's number will be known as an asterisked record IF Djokovic reaches 298.
Why would Djokovic add numbers at #1 with no one playing tennis?

Doesn't make any sense, no?

He's adding weeks at home right now.

That's what he's getting now

·
Registered
31 Posts

It's simple. Because he is the best in the last 52 weeks. He could lose that no 1 by dropping points from last year tournaments, no matter there is no playing at the moment. But the problem is that he wouldn't.. so it had to be done...

·
Registered
215 Posts

What are you writing about ?

They still have him at 281. They froze it. Not one single gifted week for him. He has to wait for grass season minimum or when the tour starts again to defend his number one rank and extend his weeks.

Of course it is reasonable for not gifting him these. I am just complaining about the situation in general that it will be remembered by tennis historians what was really behind these lost weeks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Federer's weeks at #1 record now has an asterisk as Djokovic would have been gaining on him for this entire time. Honestly all his records might have an asterisk depending on how long this goes.
To me Djokovic remains #1 until AT LEAST AO 2021, even if no tennis is played until then. I can care less about what ATP says about whether it's "official" vs "frozen", all those weeks will count and ONLY after ALL points would be dropped after AO 2021 (if in case it doesn't get played), then it would make more sense if they "freeze" the rankings. But until then Djokovic will surpass Federer's records and finish the year #1, because 2 months of tennis, including a slam, is still quite a lot of tournaments for it not to count for anything at all & get frozen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What are you writing about ?

They still have him at 281. They froze it. Not one single gifted week for him. He has to wait for grass season minimum or when the tour starts again to defend his number one rank and extend his weeks.

Of course it is reasonable for not gifting him these. I am just complaining about the situation in general that it will be remembered by tennis historians what was really behind these lost weeks.
We still dont know how this weeks will be dealt with. Only statement issued is that the ranking will be frozen till June. There is still no decision what will happen with points and weeks after the rankings will be unfrozen again.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Of course it doesn't make any sense. Of course the Noletards don't mentioned if Nole lost in IW QFs or earlier and Nadal won IW then Novak would of lost his number 1 rank. It make no sense at all for Novak to be adding weeks at number 1 when tennis isn't being played right now. Whenever tennis start back up he will have a chance to add more weeks at number 1 by winning matches.

·
|
14,082 Posts
To me Djokovic remains #1 until AT LEAST AO 2021, even if no tennis is played until then. I can care less about what ATP says about whether it's "official" vs "frozen", all those weeks will count and ONLY after ALL points would be dropped after AO 2021 (if in case it doesn't get played), then it would make more sense if they "freeze" the rankings. But until then Djokovic will surpass Federer's records and finish the year #1, because 2 months of tennis, including a slam, is still quite a lot of tournaments for it not to count for anything at all & get frozen.
I think Rafa will dethrone Djokovic at Wimbledon this year if they play it.
And I've never EVER predicted Rafa to win Wimbeldon before.

·
Registered
215 Posts
We still dont know how this weeks will be dealt with. Only statement issued is that the ranking will be frozen till June. There is still no decision what will happen with points and weeks after the rankings will be unfrozen again.
Yes but they spoke through their action not to count his 282th week so far. And Monday is already 2-3 days ago.
Frozen could also mean freezing the weeks count. I guess they meant it like that.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts

Why wouldn't Djokovic's be? They aren't counting the weeks while they are off tour. Hence they've created a situation where Djokovic isn't getting credit for weeks he almost certainly would have been #1.

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
Should be 281 when we start up again too

·
Registered
26,061 Posts
They need to update next week or not? There were points earned in South Africa and futures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes but they spoke through their action not to count his 282th week so far. And Monday is already 2-3 days ago.
Frozen could also mean freezing the weeks count. I guess they meant it like that.
In the past rankings were not updated weekly. They were updated irregularly. Thats why Villas was never number one even though he had more points than Connors in certain periods of the year. All this weeks were added to Connors tally when new rankings were published, just because he was again No1. in that moment. Thats how it worked in the past.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ATP does not update the rankings on the second weeks of two-week-long tournaments such as Grand Slam tournaments and IW/MI Masters. Please refer to the ATP Official Rulebook.
But they update the ranking weekly. Not tournament wise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
But they update the ranking weekly. Not tournament wise.
atp do not update official rankings until 2 week tournaments are complete such as iw, miami and slams.

More importantly how is the itf going to deal with the 2020 Olympic tennis tournament because it is highly likely that the Olympics will be delayed by a year.

Obviously Andy Murray and Del Potro would love the delay because it gives them more time to recover from injury and repeat 2016 performance.

21 - 40 of 126 Posts