Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
32,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nadal: College basketball the reason for the messed up claycourt schedule

Is this really the reason why the ATP changed the European clay schedule? :eek: Did Mr Disney try to give this excuse to Rafa? :lol:

I totally agree with Nadal on the comments about the schedule, it's a joke to have the world's four biggest clay tournaments in consecutive weeks :retard:

Q. A lot of the European players tell us that this part of the calendar is very hard for them. They get tired being in the United States for a month or over five weeks. You seem to play well in these tournaments. Are you comfortable here in the United States for that long of time? And if so, why is that?

RAFAEL NADAL: I'm very comfortable in United States, but not for this time. It's not fair have one month, two tournaments, and after go back to Europe and we have to play three Masters Series on clay.

We only have three Masters Series on clay during all the season, and we have three Masters Series in four weeks. So for us it's terrible, that.
And three Masters Series in the middle of the biggest tournament on clay in the world: Barcelona. So if you see the calendar, that is unbelievable.

Everybody can say about the Olympics. Is not for the Olympics. This year we have that. It's because these two tournaments are one week later, because you have university or something like this, college basketball. I respect 100% the college basketball. I think it's very important.
I know here it's very important, the college basketball, because I saw always the American players and the mens in the locker room watching always this.
But, well, we can't have the calendar thinking about the college basketball, no? So we are 100% disappointed about this decision of the ATP.

Finally the European players are, well, I don't know, very angry about these decisions, no? For me it's terrible. You know, I'm a clay player, but I can play very well on all surface. But play four weeks it's impossible if you are playing well, no?
http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/content/20080404164642.html

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Re: Nadal: College basketball the reason for the messed up claycourt schedule

Tomas Berdych made reference to it as well.

Q. Could you feel him stepping it up? He won the last 12 points and he made no unforced errors in the second set. Did you feel him raise his game, or do you think it was more you?

TOMAS BERDYCH: I think it was both things together. Like I said, it was like my battery's gone. It's really too long to stay here in the States. I mean, for these two tournaments, it's really long and -- well, it's maybe not the right way, but it's all right.

So, yeah, I have to just get more ready for it and be more like better conditions and then maybe it's not going to happen in the second set.

Q. You guys travel all year round; yet it seems that the players kind of pinpoint this month as a really tough travel month when you're going Australia and everything. What is it about maybe this run or the month that's different than the other travel all year that is harder?

TOMAS BERDYCH: Well, especially for us, I mean, it's really long because you came from Europe and you have to get used for the other conditions, so you have to come a little bit earlier to the States.

So you spend like one week before the tournament. Then if you are seeded, then you play like end of the first week. Then you have like one day off, one day match, one day off. Then if you lost in the first round or a little bit early in the draw, then you have like 14 days to next match. So you just move here.

Every day practicing and on the same place. It's like all the things together, because if you have a tournament for one week and you lost, you can go home or to the next tournament which starts again in Monday.

So this is quite a big difference than the normal single weeks of tournaments.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts

That is beyond pathetic if it's true :rolleyes: good thing for Nadal to speak up, even though he's not always comfortable doing that

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts

Was this just to get decent TV coverage? Because that never happened. :eek:

·
124,507 Posts

Indian Wells should never have gone to 96, it started off as a 64 player event.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts

My underestanding is that CBS have the rights to air the finals of Miami. This weekend was the only time they could broadcast the tennis live without compromising the basketball coverage, so both IW and Miami were pushed back a week to accomodate this :retard: :retard:

·
Registered
25,078 Posts

Boo hoo to Rafa and the other players. My heart just goes out to them. Poor pity these multi-millionaire players for having to do their jobs.

And horrors! Spending 4 weeks in California and Miami. :eek: Wow...everyone in the world can feel the pain of having to spend time in two of the most sought after vacation spots in the U.S., in warm sunny climates with spectacular golf courses in IW and beaches and party life just moments away in Miami.

Don't we all wish that we had such miserable horrid lives???

:rolleyes:

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts

My underestanding is that CBS have the rights to air the finals of Miami. This weekend was the only time they could broadcast the tennis live without compromising the basketball coverage, so both IW and Miami were pushed back a week to accomodate this :retard: :retard:
:retard: is right.

·
124,507 Posts

And Charlie wants it to be the same as a slam. :lol:
Even Miami realised that 128 wasn't practical and cut it down. Charlie is asking too much.

Nadal, Berdych, there will be others not happy with it.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts

Boo hoo to Rafa and the other players. My heart just goes out to them. Poor pity these multi-millionaire players for having to do their jobs.

And horrors! Spending 4 weeks in California and Miami. :eek: Wow...everyone in the world can feel the pain of having to spend time in two of the most sought after vacation spots in the U.S., in warm sunny climates with spectacular golf courses in IW and beaches and party life just moments away in Miami.

you missed the point entirely, Nadal is complaining because he'll have absolutely no rest during the clay season just because of basketball coverage

·
124,507 Posts

NicoFan, insular as ever.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts

Is the complaint that they have to spend 4 weeks in the USA or that the tournaments were pushed back a week to accomodate basketball? The latter I understand and agree with, if it's the former, I'm with you. Boo hoo.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts

The ATP should never have agreed to the US Networks demands.

It has NOTHING to do with being in America for 4-5 weeks - they always are at this time of year. The shortening of the Euro clay season has got nothing to do with the Olympics. It is the unneccessary changes to this year's already cramped schedule the players are complaining about.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts

Is the complaint that they have to spend 4 weeks in the USA or that the tournaments were pushed back a week to accomodate basketball? The latter I understand and agree with, if it's the former, I'm with you. Boo hoo.
He clearly says it's the latter :
Finally the European players are, well, I don't know, very angry about these decisions, no? For me it's terrible. You know, I'm a clay player, but I can play very well on all surface. But play four weeks it's impossible if you are playing well, no?

·
124,507 Posts

The complaint is about the schedule, well in Nadal's case, that is clear.

·
124,507 Posts

The ATP should never have agreed to the US Networks demands.

It has NOTHING to do with being in America for 4-5 weeks - they always are at this time of year. The shortening of the Euro clay season has got nothing to do with the Olympics. It is the unneccessary changes to this year's already cramped schedule the players are complaining about.
Look at what they did to the events after Wimbledon, that alone shows how they cramped the schedule even further, without any consideration to spreading it around.

·
Registered
25,078 Posts

The European players complain every year about having to spend 4 weeks in the U.S. This year they just have something else to pin it on (the basketball tournament) rather than the usual spoiled whining.

And really - let's be honest. NCAA basketball gets huge ratings. Tennis does not.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

is college basketball really that big? it's colleges playing each other, right? and that stuff gets good tv ratings?

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts

The European players complain every year about having to spend 4 weeks in the U.S. This year they just have something else to pin it on (the basketball tournament) rather than the usual spoiled whining.

And really - let's be honest. NCAA basketball gets huge ratings. Tennis does not.
Right, so why should the ATP bend to the American TV networks, who put little effort into promoting the sport. It makes the decsion even more :retard: if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts