Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's talk about the elephant in the room. What will happen to the tour next year? There is no sign that this pandemic is going to end anytime soon. We are trying all we can to avoid being infected by the virus which means that herd immunity won't happen so it looks like it's only a vaccine that can stop it. It might come quicker than expected (and it might never come) but before most people can get it, I don't see travel and large audiences returning to normal. 2021 will be another pandemic year.

Will we have a year where they will try to do the Slams and a just a few more tournaments like they are trying to do this year? Will we see event after event being cancelled? How long can pro tennis survive without much play - how long until everyone outside top 50 or so must think about getting another job? Any thoughts?

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
12,753 Posts
Thoughts?

Just have no fans until its gone.
Any exho with no fans has been fine.

Reactions: paca

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Australian Open 2021 will be cancelled/postponed.

Australians are the biggest virusphobiacs you will ever come across. Even if a vaccine is invented by then, they will cancel/postpone the event on the excuse and pretext of not knowing the effectiveness of the vaccine completely.

Australians and permanent residents
If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:

• your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
  • your travel is essential for the conduct of critical industries and business (including export and import industries)
  • you are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
  • you are travelling on urgent and unavoidable personal business
  • you are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds
  • your travel is in the national interest.

·
justice for all
17,694 Posts
Australian Open 2021 will be cancelled/postponed.

Australians are the biggest virusphobiacs you will ever come across. Even if a vaccine is invented by then, they will cancel/postpone the event on the excuse and pretext of not knowing the effectiveness of the vaccine completely.
Yeah, also the epidemic in Victoria and Melbourne is now out of control, they are back in strict lockdown and will do anything to prevent the virus from further spreading. I think they may cancel it indeed.

·
Your visions will happen
51,006 Posts
Not looking past tomorrow's practice

Not looking past the flight to NYC

Not looking past the nasal tests

Not looking past the hotel Mariott quarantine

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
If every single sport in the world is coming back in the next couple of months...why would tennis not come back next year?
What is it about tennis that makes it so different than everything else?

If some cities are not willing to host tournaments even without fans, then I am pretty sure there are many cities that would love to do it.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
If every single sport in the world is coming back in the next couple of months...why would tennis not come back next year?
I can see several reasons why it's a legit question posed by OP, do you need a guide on what makes tennis different from local sports ? . There is the $$$ issue, uncertainty of travelling , quality of players show up, possible outbreaks , possible health messures ...with all that the calendar next year is a big ?. Other sports can afford bubbles , tennis cannot , how may tounaments can afford no public , strict meassures spending , a few top players , is tennis really popular outside a handful of them ?. Just so many questions for next season

·
Registered
1,702 Posts

If some cities are not willing to host tournaments even without fans, then I am pretty sure there are many cities that would love to do it.
Because most tournaments below slam level need crowds in order to not lose money.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
2021 is a long time from now, so the whole world could be a different place by then.
A lot will hinge on vaccine availability or advancements in treatment. If there's a vaccine available in 2021, then some return to normality is possible, especially in the second half. I hope and expect there will be more tennis in 2021 than 2020.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

For instance, sports leagues in a country involve teams traveling and playing within that country throughout the duration of the league in a year. All the teams are located within that country and the teams are not crossing country's borders. Examples: English Premier League (England), La Liga (Spain), Serie A (Italy), NBA (U.S.), etc. The risk of spreading the infection is lower.

Tennis, being an individual sport, is not played in one country. Players travel across countries' borders to participate and play different tournaments in different countries throughout the year. The risk is higher.

·
Registered
363 Posts
No fans whatsoever, at least can we save the majors? why not have the players commit to a on site 2 week quarantine before the event begins? I'm a huge reality tv fan, and that's exactly what Big Brother is doing this year.

·
Rankings Master
16,077 Posts
At the rate of lockdowns Australia is currently practicing, locking even its own citizens inside the country (I don't know if I've ever seen a country not letting their own people or anyone else for that matter leave), you can count the Aus Open out, but maybe the rest of the season is safe.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I can see several reasons why it's a legit question posed by OP, do you need a guide on what makes tennis different from local sports ? . There is the $$$ issue, uncertainty of travelling , quality of players show up, possible outbreaks , possible health messures ...with all that the calendar next year is a big ?. Other sports can afford bubbles , tennis cannot , how may tounaments can afford no public , strict meassures spending , a few top players , is tennis really popular outside a handful of them ?. Just so many questions for next season
Local sports?

Formula 1 -> started
UFC -> started
PGA Tour -> started
UCI Cycling -> started
IAAF Diamond League -> about to start
Boxing -> started
International football -> starting in a couple of months

Those are not local sports

·
Registered
831 Posts
I agree with the notion of not looking too far ahead because the situation changes on a weekly basis, but at the same time, having no plan in place = a higher likelihood of there being no tennis. The tour can't continue to be put in a position where events are cancelled a month before they are set to begin because of logistical difficulties that the ATP leadership did not foresee.

Other sports will be back and thriving with no crowds/limited crowds, secured bubbles, etc. while tennis looks on like:

No tennis is not an option and should not even be considered to be an option. If the current vision of playing tennis isn't going to be feasible during a global pandemic, change it.

4 months is not far away. 4 months ago was April and people thought the European clay season would be going on without a hitch but that's not the case. Right now, Tennis Australia need to be planning chartered flights, holding discussions with the government, looking into the prospect of a bubble or limited/no crowds, reduced prize money, etc. and examining all the different options and models. Same with Indian Wells and Miami. If they aren't doing that, then what the fuck are they doing?

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
That it involves players constantly traveling from one country to another unlike football, basketball, rugby, etc.
For instance, sports leagues in a country involve teams traveling and playing within that country throughout the duration of the league in a year. All the teams are located within that country and the teams are not crossing country's borders. Examples: English Premier League (England), La Liga (Spain), Serie A (Italy), NBA (U.S.), etc. The risk of spreading the infection is lower.

Tennis, being an individual sport, is not played in one country. Players travel across countries' borders to participate and play different tournaments in different countries throughout the year. The risk is higher.
And how about these?

Formula 1 -> started
Moto GP -> started
UFC -> started
PGA Tour -> started
UCI Cycling -> started
IAAF Diamond League -> about to start
Boxing -> started
International football -> starting in a couple of months

And these are just the sports I follow.
All international sports.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Speaking of Australia, this reminds me of a video I watched years ago. Not saying that Johnny Depp did not violate their laws (that was his fault, entirely), but Australia, as a country, is pretty strict with respect to viruses and similar stuff.

Reactions: MWW
1 - 20 of 55 Posts