Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fed serving and playing well and whatnot, Novak was clearly tanking in the second part of the second set today. ATP should stop fining Tomics and other minnows and finally fine an ATG for lack of effort. That was seriously disrespectful towards the people who paid good money to see a competitive affair.

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Novak tried he was just clueless. Fed was several levels above him thats why it looked like he wasn't trying.
Just watch the last couple of games again. He was sending balls 3m out on purpose. Fineworthy.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Yup, this match reminded me of WTF 2016 finals against Murray, (it was also battle for YE#1) , and he displayed same shitty disinterest.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Novak tried he was just clueless. Fed was several levels above him thats why it looked like he wasn't trying.
Like the second serve game where he hit 2 DFs and UEs to get broken. Or the service game in 2nd set where he handed the break with poor UEs? Federer served well and played great but Djokovic was just not there.

Reactions: incognito

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
He played with lower energy than Thiem in the end, which basically says everthing given the stakes (or the lack of it) in their respective matches.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I don't agree. Fed was just too good in first set and in the first few games of the second set, Nole seemed to play better, he even had break point which was saved in a marvellous fashion by Roger. Then Roger broke just the game after with excellent tennis. Nole only gave the last game away...

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Novak only really conceded the last game where he was firing balls way out of bounds. I think he did it because he was tired of the fans going against him. And given that he was getting a peaking Federer, right after playing a peaking Thiem, he's probably ready to get out of London.

Novak's confidence may be waning going into AO 2020.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Not reaching the SF and YE#1 is punishment enough.

Federer was simply too good. No one can do anything about it when that happens except experiencing mental fatigue.

·
Your visions will happen
48,161 Posts
Yup, this match reminded me of WTF 2016 finals against Murray, (it was also battle for YE#1) , and he displayed same shitty disinterest.
Yes and it is a shame, certainly a de-merit on Nole's GOAT resume. At the moment, he lost a chance to make a BIG dent in Fed's GOAT argument, but then again, Fed has a billion dollar empire to save. With legacy and narrative and such demanded he be known as the GOAT. And he had to back it up. And he did.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Nope. He got destroyed. It's not like every time he loses it's just because he didn't care huh? He had #1 on the line so he clearly had every reason to try to win this match. Sometimes you just get outplayed and that's what happened this evening.

Reactions: vauxguy

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes and it is a shame, certainly a de-merit on Nole's GOAT resume. At the moment, he lost a chance to make a BIG dent in Fed's GOAT argument, but then again, Fed has a billion dollar empire to save. With legacy and narrative and such demanded he be known as the GOAT. And he had to back it up. And he did.
You are getting it all wrong, as usual.
The bad thing tonight for 'Nole's resume' is not that he lost. It is that he lost while sending balls 3m out on purpose. Federer and Nadal never do that.
It's a stain much worse (in my book) than having a testy presser, picking one's wedgie or being unable to serve 40-15 out. I like Djokovic, but this is a big thing. On par with Federer defaulting WTF final under a pretext.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If you look at Novak's performance more closely and objectively, you can see the lack of effort, but not because of tanking but because of the lack of energy. What is the cause for Novak's lack of energy considering that he wasn't playing that much this year, we don't know (maybe he doesn't eat well enough again?), but it's definitely there.

Reactions: incognito

·
Registered
956 Posts
Some of the body language was appalling. Thiem played amazing the other night yet Djokovic fought and there was emotion after some crazy rallies. Tonight after some great passing shots under pressure Djokovic did nothing.

As a Djokovic fan, I'm disappointed that the season tailed off as it has done but at the same time I'm glad it's over for him because I think he was starting to get mentally drained.

·
Premium Member
8,365 Posts
No, he simply got outplayed on a fast indoor courts against a more natural indoor player. Too bad for him that the indoor courts of WTF aren't as slow as they were back in 2013-15.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
If you look at Novak's performance more closely and objectively, you can see the lack of effort, but not because of tanking but because of the lack of energy. What is the cause for Novak's lack of energy considering that he wasn't playing that much this year, we don't know (maybe he doesn't eat well enough again?), but it's definitely there.
Djokovic gave everything at the W final...

·
Your visions will happen
48,161 Posts
You are getting it all wrong, as usual.
The bad thing tonight for 'Nole's resume' is not that he lost. It is that he lost while sending balls 3m out on purpose. Federer and Nadal never do that.
It's a stain much worse (in my book) than having a testy presser, picking one's wedgie or being unable to serve 40-15 out. I like Djokovic, but this is a big thing. On par with Federer defaulting WTF final under a pretext.
Oh my. I understand you are a Djokovic fan and you are in ruins right now. But Djokovic was simply outplayed today by a man who had a billion dollar empire to save, Wimbledon demons to exorcise, 1000% crowd support, and played one of his 2 best matches of the season tonight, turning back the clock 15 years.

Fed had much much more to play for than Nole and it showed. I would be more worried about that elbow that he looked like he overextended and pulled on that lunge mid 2nd set. I'd be concerned with that. Hopefully he does not play Pique Cup next week.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts