Registered
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A valuable victory for the Pole.

Reactions: masterclass

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Hurkacz has been an absolute hero this week. Really carried his team. Even though I expected him to play well, the way he dismantled Coric was shocking. A proof you don't have to be loud and obnoxious to exude confidence. Up to #32 in LR. May end up seeded in Melbourne.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I watched most of the third set but nothing before that. As the score indicates, it was close, but Hurkacz's victory was well deserved. Thiem played okay, but his shot selection let him down at times. Once Hurkacz managed to hold in a very long game (I don't remember if it was the fourth or the sixth of the third set) saving multiple breakpoints, he looked the more composed player.

·
justice for all
15,106 Posts
Another very close match where Dominic had more chances but ended up losing it while could have bagged the win.
Oh well, it's just the warmup event so no need to panic methinks. He'll get better when the first few rounds of AO are completed.

As for Hubert - another great win for him this week. The good news for him is he'll be seeded in the AO and that's a good thing cause no one of the other seeds would like to face him in R1.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I actually think he can beat djokovic in AO, he has that murray style, but he doesn't seem to have murray's self doubt

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
I actually think he can beat djokovic in AO, he has that murray style, but he doesn't seem to have murray's self doubt
Keep dreaming.
:D:D:cool:

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Hurkacz is turning into quite the player while Thiem keeps being useless. Would be funny if it was Hurkacz that ended up leading Gen Next instead of Tsitsipas and Medvedev.
Don't think he'll lead or will be number 1 but last year I was predicting him to win at least 1 slam title. We will see.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Hurkacz started last season relatively well, then there was that match and choke against Zverev at Madrid and fell off a cliff. New season could be a new dawn for him but i remain unconvinced of him being a top 8 player.

·
justice for all
15,106 Posts
Keep dreaming.
Well, of course it's bold to say Hurkacz will beat Djokovic at the AO. But, Hubert is improving in this matchup. He lost convincingly in straights in FO, then stolen a set in WM. Of course different surfaces etc. but I actually see him taking a set off Novak in Melbourne and who knows maybe even taking him to 5 if Hurkacz plays his best and Novak has a worse day.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Keep dreaming.
Well, of course it's bold to say Hurkacz will beat Djokovic at the AO. But, Hubert is improving in this matchup. He lost convincingly in straights in FO, then stolen a set in WM. Of course different surfaces etc. but I actually see him taking a set off Novak in Melbourne and who knows maybe even taking him to 5 if Hurkacz plays his best and Novak has a worse day.
Well, Novak lost to #117 Istomin in AO R64 2017, and #58 Chung in AO R16 2018, so recency bias would say twice in the last 3 years he has been upset by unseeded players prior to the QF and a better chance of going out early than winning it all.

So almost anyone and certainly Hubi would have a chance to beat Novak at less than his best. He's no spring chicken and it is said he fears the heat and these less than ideal fiery atmospheric conditions. I've heard that his elbow could be an issue as well, but we don't know if it is one of those "prepared excuses" or not. As we've seen, anything can happen.

Plus we don't even have a draw yet. So Hubi and Nole fans, take a deep breath and breath easily for now (as long as you aren't in Australia).

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: Meddy Bär

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Well, Novak lost to #117 Istomin in AO R64 2017, and #58 Chung in AO R16 2018, so recency bias would say twice in the last 3 years he has been upset by unseeded players prior to the QF and a better chance of going out early than winning it all.

So almost anyone and certainly Hubi would have a chance to beat Novak at less than his best. He's no spring chicken and it is said he fears the heat and these less than ideal fiery atmospheric conditions. I've heard that his elbow could be an issue as well, but we don't know if it is one of those "prepared excuses" or not. As we've seen, anything can happen.

Plus we don't even have a draw yet. So Hubi and Nole fans, take a deep breath and breath easily for now (as long as you aren't in Australia).

Respectfully,
masterclass
we can see who is in form the next few days, Nole could play Med in SF, this would be highly interesting!
with Dominic i am not super worried. i know he can play much better as he did recently in ATP finals, and i trust him to peak when it matters. Same with Tsitsipas btw

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Great tennis from Hurkacz, although the way Thiem loses matches is quite underwhelming. Dominic saves 1st MP with great tennis and then when he has to save it on his serve usually makes shitty UE. Same thing happened vs Tsitsipas in last match of 2019.
If Medvedev wins tomorrow vs Schwartzman he will become N4, which isn't a great news for Thiem.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
errrr, can we end the season already and move on to the WTF ???

Hubert started the season like a fucking boss with three Top30 wins.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
He has more power but less consistency and isn’t as fast as Murray. Has a better serve and did push Novak pretty well in wimby up until set 3.

·
Registered
16,156 Posts
Berdych 2.0 doing what he was destined to do

It was clear he has immense talent

Immense

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Last i checked, HH is 0-2 vs Novak, 0-1 vs Fed & 0-0 vs NadaI so if he advances into Iater rounds at AO, we gonna see whats going on vs any of big 3. MeanwhiIe, this victory gives him confidence over any other NxtGn.

·
Super Moderator
10,762 Posts
This was a pretty good match, 3rd set THIEM had lots of BP in 1 game, many neutral rallies and HURKACZ still managed to make shots. THIEM served pretty poorly in the 3rd set and TB, with mostly 2nd serves , still managed to hold with a couple of games that HURKACZ had opportunities to break also, overall pretty good quality, enjoyable to watch !

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Extremely good match! Hurbert's lobs were just mouth-watering. :sneaky:

Reactions: a1canada
1 - 20 of 20 Posts