Mens Tennis Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
"Schuettler is this years Mr Nobody ( aka Novak)"

I do love the fact that just because someone is able to play well enough to come through a Grand Slam draw beating quality players without having a huge power game or being a "character" (read nutcase) on court, they're somehow worthy of the label Mr Nobody.

Novak proved last year with his results for the whole of 2002, not just the AO, that he's a player of top-ten calibre, and frankly I'd rather have hard workers like him and Schuettler up there than people who think throwing their racquet entitles them to be regarded as one of the greatest players in the game.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Becca, up untill Wimby David WAS a nobody. Right now he is someone.
Who knows, maybe Schuttler will win like 7 titles & will become the new world #1, & will own an 8-2 record over Hewitt & Agassi? My point is that Schuttler right now is like Nalbandian after Wimby. I still think that he isnt worthy of a GS final yet.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
David Nalbandian got to Wimbledon final at 20.
there's a difference between a Nobody (Johansson/Novak/Schuetter/Schalken) than a young upstart.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Just because it takes a long time for someone to post a significant result in a Grand Slam when they are past the 25 age barrier, that doesn't make them a nobody. Petr Korda had only just turned 30 when he won the Aus Open in 98.

Interesting that you should describe David Nalbandian as a "young upstart" when he always to me has the demeanour of a grumpy senior citizen on court. I mentioned Safin's racquet-throwing, but did you see the number of times this idiot petulantly slammed his to the ground towards the end of last year, especially during his first-round US Open loss?

It was really rather appropriate, actually, that Nalbandian lost to one Sargis Sargsian of Armenia, since that's where Nalbandian's name and family originate from. That result must have stuck two fingers up to those Armenian refugees who fled the country.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I'm not calling Schuettler a "mr nobody" myself -

I simply don't think it's proper for Niminator to compare the two of them, since they are at totally different points in their career.

Becca, up untill Wimby David WAS a nobody. Right now he is someone.
Who knows, maybe Schuttler will win like 7 titles & will become the new world #1, & will own an 8-2 record over Hewitt & Agassi? My point is that Schuttler right now is like Nalbandian after Wimby. I still think that he isnt worthy of a GS final yet.
David reached the third round of the USO in 2001 as a qualifier. He beat Escude, then fell in 4 to eventual semifinalist Yevgeny Kafelnikov. In the few tournaments (9)that he played that year, as a 19 year old, he made the semis of two small clay tournaments (losing to the eventual winner both times) , and the finals of another.

He won Estoril in 2002, with wins over Ferrero, Moya, Schalken and Nieminen. He then went on to beat Federer in MonteCarlo, before losing to Marat in three. He had match points in Rome against Grosjean, but couldn't quite serve it out.

Since Wimbledon he has posted some good results, that I won't get in to.

My point is not that I think David is going to be a top 5 player tomorrow, and win Wimbledon this year ;)

My point is that it's hard to look at his results building IMO and say that he didnt have a good slam result around the corner somewhere.

But your entitled to you opinion - which, notabley, didn't mention any of his past results ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sjengster said:
Just because it takes a long time for someone to post a significant result in a Grand Slam when they are past the 25 age barrier, that doesn't make them a nobody. Petr Korda had only just turned 30 when he won the Aus Open in 98.

Interesting that you should describe David Nalbandian as a "young upstart" when he always to me has the demeanour of a grumpy senior citizen on court. I mentioned Safin's racquet-throwing, but did you see the number of times this idiot petulantly slammed his to the ground towards the end of last year, especially during his first-round US Open loss?

It was really rather appropriate, actually, that Nalbandian lost to one Sargis Sargsian of Armenia, since that's where Nalbandian's name and family originate from. That result must have stuck two fingers up to those Armenian refugees who fled the country.
Actually don't care too much of all the players you talked about. Wondering though what's those political craps all about? Is a tennis match, not a civil war if I'm not mistaken :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
But Korda had reached the French final at 24 and had been a solid Top Ten player since then, so he wasn't a nobody before he won the Australian in 1998.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Looks like Misha will soon be #2 in Russia.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts