Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We need someone outside the Top 20 to say it, so no Simon. Maybe Stakohovsky can start it, given he spoke about the lack of money for the non-stars and non-core, highly-ranked professionals.

This year's women's French Open was diabolically bad, especially when something like 7/8 top seeds were gone before the quarters.

I'd rather see more money injected into the men's game.

Have the women play the men, or the women simply cut from the piggybacking position they're always in at the Slams.

Make equality actual equality, not gerrymandered gender-norming.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
We need someone outside the Top 20 to say it, so no Simon. Maybe Stakohovsky can start it, given he spoke about the lack of money for the non-stars and non-core, highly-ranked professionals.

This year's women's French Open was diabolically bad, especially when something like 7/8 top seeds were gone before the quarters.

Have the women play the men, or the women simply cut from the piggybacking position they're always in at the Slams.

Did you actually watch the WTA matches, or are you just going on "the seeds were defeated, so it must automatically have been bad"? There were some terrific WTA matches this year. And the seeds going early is not necessarily a bad thing, you know. Depth and excitement and young players making breakthroughs is good for tennis.

·
Registered
326 Posts
"500 and above, no chance" - Karsten Braasch after beating the Williams sisters back to back. 1998

Forged about the forced gender equality, women pay BO3, that even violates equal pay for equal work rules.

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Did you actually watch the WTA matches, or are you just going on "the seeds were defeated, so it must automatically have been bad"? There were some terrific WTA matches this year. And the seeds going early is not necessarily a bad thing, you know. Depth and excitement and young players making breakthroughs is good for tennis.
Only when things need to be shaken up, not as the norm.
There are literally no rivalries in today's WTA.
Casual fans have a hard time differenciating between all the -ovas and -ickis that make a random deep run at a slam. Why do you think are they trying to promote the shit out of Bouchard despite her being completely useless for months? Because she's - different. As in: she's not from Eastern Europe.
Problem is she shows up just as randomly as all the other WTA players not named Serena Williams.
You need consistency, you need rivalries, you need people who actually remember the players/names.

What is the world's most popular duel in sports? It's Real Madrid vs FC Barcelona.
It's predictable as fuck. But it's the rivalry. Hundreds of millions of people can't wait to witness another version of it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I watch the matches and these days WTA is nothing more than a shitfest after a shitfest after a shitfest.
No quality.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Only when things need to be shaken up, not as the norm.
There are literally no rivalries in today's WTA.
Casual fans have a hard time differenciating between all the -ovas and -ickis that make a random deep run at a slam. Why do you think are they trying to promote the shit out of Bouchard despite her being completely useless for months? Because she's - different. As in: she's not from Eastern Europe.
Problem is she shows up just as randomly as all the other WTA players not named Serena Williams.
You need consistency, you need rivalries, you need people who actually remember the players/names.

What is the world's most popular duel in sports? It's Real Madrid vs FC Barcelona.
It's predictable as fuck. But it's the rivalry. Hundreds of millions of people can't wait to witness another version of it.
That's not a rivalry. Real Madrid is not good enough to carry Barca's bags .. and I don't know about you all, but I like seeing women dominating women ... I just like that kind of action.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts

Go back to your cave.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
You can't make the argument about popularity or marketing because, like it or not, stars like Sharapova and even muggy Bouchard are quite marketable, regardless of reason. Tons of little girls flood the Juniors looking like little Nike dolls in an effort to emulate Maria. Even non-tennis fans or casual fans know of Maria or Serena, so it's not like these girls don't attract interest.

But none of that should matter because "equal pay" is not about marketability. It is about getting paid the same amount of money for the same job, and as long as women play Bo3 while men play Bo5, the means do not match the end.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You can't make the argument about popularity or marketing because, like it or not, stars like Sharapova and even muggy Bouchard are quite marketable, regardless of reason. Tons of little girls flood the Juniors looking like little Nike dolls in an effort to emulate Maria. Even non-tennis fans or casual fans know of Maria or Serena, so it's not like these girls don't attract interest.
Hold on, bro.
It was you who said that it's good that things are shaken up (random player reaching slam QFs, SFs).
Now you say people are interested in Maria or Genie despite of them missing several slam SFs, Fs.
So - what are people exactly attracted to? Versatile tennis? Or blonde tennis players living in North America?

The sad thing about women's tennis is that... well, I'll just leave some biographies here:
Kournikova - uber popular, never made a slam SF
Ivanovic - uber popular, made one slam SF in the last 7 years
Wozniacki - uber popular, never won a slam
Bouchard - uber popular, hasn't achieved shit in the last 11 months, historically irrelevant
Maria - highest paid female athlete in history, but far away from being an all-time great
Serena - probably the GOAT, but pretty much ignored compared to other athletes (talking NFL/NBA/NHL/soccer/golf/etc. here)

This is just sad.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I agree men deserve to be paid more in the slams. But, having men play women is not the answer. It's essentially two different sports. I think they should pay the men more in the slams or make the women play best of 5.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Women have, for decades after endless decades, worked at the same jobs and got less pay than men. Now, in one sport they're making more than the men for doing less work (equivalent to the men doing the same job for less pay) - and the men are bellyaching non-stop. Cry me a river!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You should thank that travesty from the 70s called "The Battle of the Sexes" for what's happening today...

Still, I wonder what the WTA chairmen think of the current era in women's tennis. I guess, as long as Sharapova keeps milking her image, they don't give a shit.

People think the ATP is doomed, well if you want to see what doom is, look no further than the WTA, where a 33-year-old player dominates everyone and the so-called "rising stars" lose in the first or second round of slams.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
:yawn: If you don't like it, just don't watch it. Don't be so sensitive about the fact that tennis is one of the few sports where women can sustain a tour of their own with comparable prize money. Tennis is stronger because of it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hold on, bro.
It was you who said that it's good that things are shaken up (random player reaching slam QFs, SFs).
Now you say people are interested in Maria or Genie despite of them missing several slam SFs, Fs.
So - what are people exactly attracted to? Versatile tennis? Or blonde tennis players living in North America?

The sad thing about women's tennis is that... well, I'll just leave some biographies here:
Kournikova - uber popular, never made a slam SF
Ivanovic - uber popular, made one slam SF in the last 7 years
Wozniacki - uber popular, never won a slam
Bouchard - uber popular, hasn't achieved shit in the last 11 months, historically irrelevant
Maria - highest paid female athlete in history, but far away from being an all-time great
Serena - probably the GOAT, but pretty much ignored compared to other athletes (talking NFL/NBA/NHL/soccer/golf/etc. here)

This is just sad.
WIBLEDON 1997 SEMIS, lost to Hingis

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have no idea why some people want to knock women's sports just because they aren't men's sports, or more broadly knock female athletes because they aren't male athletes.

If people don't like women's tennis, then simply don't watch women's tennis. Nobody is requiring anyone to watch women's tennis matches, and nobody is preventing anyone from turning off the TV when women's matches are being shown.

·
Premium Member
20,653 Posts
do we have to have this thread again and again and again and again and again?
Don't you guys ever get sick of repeating yourselves? :rolleyes:

You don't like women's tennis; we get it; MOVE ON. It's not YOUR money or the ATP's money that the women are getting paid, so what business is it of yours?

Reactions: 2MatchPointsDown
1 - 20 of 39 Posts