Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
50,989 Posts
Ok sure just fix the point problem, we can figure something out. Maybe no points at all or fewer. Real thing that matters is the money.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,989 Posts
Have to agree with them here. The format does make it unfair because some dude ranked below you can have an opportunity to gain points if he plays for a different country.

They should at least make it take up a regular tournament slot. Maybe lower the points total a bit

Reactions: alypen

·
Registered
185 Posts
I didn't know you can gain ranking points by particpating in this team competition and it can count as an extra tournament in addition to the maxium of 19. That makes no sense to me in either way. Can someone enlighten me on that? I must have lived in a cave or something when the decision was made.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
The points should just be removed. It doesn’t make sense for this to count towards ranking points especially considering it completely fucks the lower ranked players since they can’t play in it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I don't understand what's all the fuss about this, how is ranking points distribution unfair or why is this a sign of inequality of opportunities.
First of all it is an official tournament in the ATP calendar, so it should be awarded points-wise accordingly. 24 teams of (at least) 2 members strong comprise 48 contestants, which is on par with some ATP1000 tournaments draw and certainly more then most ATP500s. In terms of number of matches needed for wining a tournament - same thing, 3 wins per RR phase, 3 more from QF onward, again on par with R64 draw tournaments, like for top seeds at IW or Miami.
The format is awkward compared to the regular ATP tournaments, but it's not completely unique since we have the RR stage in the ATP Finals too. This peculiarity means that regular ranking points distribution (exponential per stage) cannot simply be translated to this case, so like in ATP finals in ATP Cup every win in RR match is awarded points, which is only fair. I was also always in favor of making a distinction points-wise in an upset win, so in my view this consideration in the ATP Cup is also fair.
I don't get the ineqality of opportunity argument too, there's always been a cut-off point limited by the draw in every other regular tournament, as well as a chance for lower ranked players through qualifications and wildcards, so things even out similarly, only in a different way.

Reactions: a1canada

·
Registered
10,867 Posts
Well, you have to have some method of cutting off entry. It should take up a slot though. No reason it has to be an extra tournament.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Better solution would have been no country vs country, just players playing as a team with top 24 players in the world to act as a captain and hand-picks their team and only top 100 would be eligible for the ATP Cup. That way, all top 100 players could have used the warm-up for the AO and an extra slot in the ranking as a team competition. The captain also hand-pick a double players. A single player cannot play in doubles match in a rubber match unless he is top 24 team in doubles and top 100 in singles to make things even more fairer. You could add this new category "race to ATP cup which is to allow players without an extra slot in a new calendar year a chance to make it to the ATP Cup. The team also get its 5th team member as an alternate to participate, that would be more likely above top 50 if he is signed up for ATP Cup.

·
Registered
22,653 Posts
I was surprised Vasek didn't play TBH since he didn't play anything week 1 and tweeted out a photo of him flying to Australia on New Years Eve. He wouldn't have been one of our top 2 players, but would have played doubles and probably would have played singles in the QF once Felix was clearly underperforming.

Then I realized he was probably boycotting it on purpose because he didn't like how it works. Sounds about right. Which is fine. Just curious he didn't play anything else last week.

·
Registered
22,653 Posts
Thought this was going to be more about the weird thing where 301+ ranking players got less points for the same wins but then I realized that the top guys would never care about a player ranked that low anyway. Davis Cup used to give out ranking points and nobody seemed to care back then. It probably shouldn't count as an additional tournament, but Rublev for example just went to Doha and got 250 points, the same amount Nadal got here so besides the additional event counting I don't see that much of an issue. It's a little unfair sure, but there was another even this week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts