Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
Are they still going through with this? Seems utterly redundant. It's completely out of their hands. International traveling is going to become nearly impossible, so even if they decide to hold some tournaments, they will be limited to local players. And the point of having those without spectators is... well... non existent.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Are they still going through with this? Seems utterly redundant. It's completely out of their hands. International traveling is going to become nearly impossible, so even if they decide to hold some tournaments, they will be limited to local players. And the point of having those without spectators is... well... non existent.
Nadal has apparently already gone back to Spain a couple of days ago. He would then have been unable to play Miami. No Nadal, no Federer, it would be hard shifting tickets anyway so it was an easy decision for Miami. Djokovic also happy to have the events cancelled apparently. If the Big Three want events cancelled, they get cancelled.

·
Registered
289 Posts
So this means that also Monte Carlo will be cancelled and I have my doubt about Roma with the current situation Italy is in right now. So at best the top players will get the madrid masters and a 250 tourney as a warmup for the french open.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Nadal has apparently already gone back to Spain a couple of days ago. He would then have been unable to play Miami. No Nadal, no Federer, it would be hard shifting tickets anyway so it was an easy decision for Miami. Djokovic also happy to have the events cancelled apparently. If the Big Three want events cancelled, they get cancelled.
You re missing on something , the obvious answer is the virus naturally cancelling all these tournaments through preventing urgent policies that superceeds any player or association wishes or decision

Here, in argentina, even Messi will have to come to terms with quarentine , Nadal in Spain too. They are nothing to politics

Nadal I bet wanted to gtfo of the US for family reasons to be with family and to hell with tennis for a while , common sense, hes not thinking about slams and history like many fan boys here , he wanted out rightfully before Trump does what he did just do.

The only ones thinking of tennis play right now are fan boys .

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
So this means that also Monte Carlo will be cancelled and I have my doubt about Roma with the current situation Italy is in right now. So at best the top players will get the madrid masters and a 250 tourney as a warmup for the french open.
Doubt? Forget about the RG, at this point everything would be called off until summer. Even if it would not, international travel would still be a problem. Quarantine measures are likely to stay for a while and that alone would cause a lot of problems for players, let alone a travel ban.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Reactions: SetPointDown

·
|
15,360 Posts
Nadal's darkest hour
Looks like you can't do basic math! No surprise....
6 weeks = 2 weeks in March + 4 weeks in April.
Madrid Masters = May 3rd
There is a good chance Rafa will end up winning more titles in the 1st half of 2020 than he won in 2019!
Rafa's first 2 titles of 2019 were Rome and Roland Garros.
In 2020 Rafa has already won Mexico, and obviously a huge chance in Madrid and beyond....

·
|
15,360 Posts
2 events before a slam is similar to the schedule of servebots preparing for Wimbledon, or the schedule before the AO, so no big deal.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Looks like you can't do basic math! No surprise....
6 weeks = 2 weeks in March + 4 weeks in April.
Madrid Masters = May 3rd
There is a good chance Rafa will end up winning more titles in the 1st half of 2020 than he won in 2019!
Rafa's first 2 titles of 2019 were Rome and Roland Garros.
In 2020 Rafa has already won Mexico, and obviously a huge chance in Madrid and beyond....
You don't get It, not yet: the break will last, best case scenario, 12 weeks. The entire clay season is dead and buried.

·
|
15,360 Posts
You don't get It, not yet: the break will last, best case scenario, 12 weeks. The entire clay season is dead and buried.
You have less knowledge on this subject than anyone on the entire forum, so stop wasting your time....
Heck, you can't even read or do basic math :)

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
Its 6 weeks, and it says "Men's tour will attempt to reconvene the week starting April 27"-
This will more than likely go beyond six weeks, especially since the next tournaments will take place in Europe where they are have implemented the most serious restrictions on events and daily life.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Madrid as the location is particularly worrisome as it's the epicenter of this epidemic in Spain (about half of the cases).

·
Premium Member
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Madrid as the location is particularly worrisome as it's the epicenter of this epidemic in Spain (about half of the cases).
It is obvious considering how epidemy progressed in Hubei despite strict containment under military and drone rule, that Spain Italy France and United Kingdom should not be in a better situation in May and June that they are now.

IMO 6 weeks is just a beginning and anyhow I am afraid opinions when watching deaths by numbers will push Governements into taking stricter decisions....

More than French Open and Wimbledon, 2020 Olympics are endangered.....

I do not know when situation could get better / or opinions learn to live with that virus as they did with Influenza.

EDIT : I finally checked and peak epidemy in Hubei was 1/25 to 2/22 so I may be too pessimistic.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It is obvious considering how epidemy progressed in Hubei despite strict containment under military and drone rule, that Spain Italy France and United Kingdom should not be in a better situation in May and June that they are now.

IMO 6 weeks is just a beginning and anyhow I am afraid opinions when watching deaths by numbers will push Governements into taking stricter decisions....

More than French Open and Wimbledon, 2020 Olympics are endangered.....

I do not know when situation could get better / or opinions learn to live with that virus as they did with Influenza.

EDIT : I finally checked and peak epidemy in Hubei was 1/25 to 2/22 so I may be too pessimistic.
I doubt in Europe they can implement the restrictions that took place in Hubei though.

·
Premium Member
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dout in Europe they can implement the restrictions that took place in Hubei though.
European people are selfish and will not respect containment, and I doubt too Europeans Governements use MIlitary or drones BUT European people are also brats and they will ask for more with deaths by numbers....

With an effective containment Hubei had 70.000 positive people and 3000 deaths. What is impressive is rest of China only had 10.000 positive people and 150 deaths.

Hubei is 59 million people, same more or less than France Italy Spain or UK. If we manage virus as well as Hubei did, and limit deaths to some thousands in those big countries..... I guess it will be ok.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts